No Hypoxia effects modeled ?

Anatoli-Kagari9

Motivated by a post at another forum I decided to try flying the WW2 modules starting at 25k, disconnected the Oxygen systems, even opened the canopies ( possible and even the Bf109 does not break the canopy inflight when I opne it :-/ … ) and there was absolutely no problem flying in that way ?

I had the idea hypoxia effects were modelled ?

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

They most definately are. At least in certain planes. I had my MiG-15 pilot go woozy several times after a hurried start-up where I forgot to turn on the oxygen systems. They do take a while to come on. So for a minute or so, nothing will happen and then you better act quick before you black out.

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

It depends on the altitude how fast it happens....

Don't know about WW2 stuff, but it is modeled. I've personally experienced it In a MiG-15, A-10 and for some reason they've made you suffocate on the ground in the -F-18 if you don't have the obogs on

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

In the 109 and 190, flying for several minutes with the oxugen pumps turned OFF and even canopies opened , nothing hapened.

I took a 190 up to 7 or 8km without a thought about oxygen and started getting double vision not long after 7km. Not sure if that was from ground level or sea level, but on the normandy map. That was back in 2.1 however, but it is modeled. Weather settings may have an effect on how thin the air is at certain altitudes. Might be an option in the gameplay/misc settings as well, not that I'd know for sure without looking.

The effect was not immediate.. my screen just gradually started to get more blurry until I was seeing double. It took me a moment to realize what was happening, but once I did I descended until it stopped. Only after the entire experience did it occur to me that I could've just turned on my oxygen.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Only after the entire experience did it occur to me that I could've just turned on my oxygen.

That's ED's damage modeling-you were hypoxic :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

It depends entirely on the module in question. Some feature it, some don't.

Maybe it's about time we have some kind of a giant chart of various pieces of what is modelled and what not for all the DCS stuff.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Hypoxia is modelled in my opinion. What is not modelled is pressurization I think. 8km is very bad for oxygen and you definatly get hypoxia (hypo = lower than needed level but not necesarrily insta deadly.) but I think that its not like instant black out.

Although with such adrenaline like in airplane it can happend much faster due to higher oxygen demand. Anyway, even that you dont black out, you will almost instantly start acting very stupidly with lack of sense and awareness because of lack of full oxygen demand. Just a couple of biophysics pages I remember.

While turning off the flow to mask in Mig-15 is instant ANOXIA (No oxygen at all) because I guess the mask is hermetically sealed at the face and you literally turn off any flow to the mask (at ground level it just taking flow from enviroment air with normal air oxygen), the oxygen you turning on will start flowing on higher altitudes (above 2.000m ASL). If you dont turn it on. You will be lacking it above the 8.000m and the effects will come into place. above 10 km it will be very clearly i guess.

Edited by Wexler

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S