F5 Autopilot?

acdelta57

Still reading through the manual for the F5E, haven't came across any autopilot functions. Do any of you know if there is a simple ALT hold or LVL flight AP mode?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

unfortunately its seems not,

pretty disappointing that even el cheepo unsophisticato Mig21 bis has one but f5 doesnt.

it is really annnoying to keep your hand on the stick and constantly trim, it would be nice to get to point a to point b with a simple altitude hold.

Edited by Kev2go
  • Like 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

pretty disappointing that even el cheepo unsophisticato Mig21 bis has one but f5 doesnt.

That´s because the Mig-21 wasn´t unsophisticated at all...it was a mainline Fighter/Interceptor, whereas the F-5 was never anything else then a cheap export aircraft XD.

Although, I also find it odd it has absolutely none...guess you´ll just have to live with trimming.

Good thing I´m a Redfor pilot, trimming is normal for me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

trimming is normal for me.

Trimming should be a pilots second nature.

To be honest: I didn't realize the F-5 has no AP before this post. I'm so used to trimming that it became an automatic process for me - regardless of the aircraft. And in the F-5 it's (subjectively!) easy to trim her out and level.

Of course there are times when I love the autopilot... for example when I orbit somewhere.

- Deutsche Tutorials und DCS Gameplay: youtube.com/Rakuzard | raku.yt/discord -

Trimming should be a pilots second nature.

But you know all of these FBW pampered gamers who yell when the plane doesn´t fly on rails automatically for them XD

I personally know a couple of those.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

That´s because the Mig-21 wasn´t unsophisticated at all...it was a mainline Fighter/Interceptor, whereas the F-5 was never anything else then a cheap export aircraft XD.

Although, I also find it odd it has absolutely none...guess you´ll just have to live with trimming.

Very true. The MiG gets referred to as comblock junk a lot but for it's time it was impressive.

I am surprised the Tiger does not have any AP functions tho!

But you know all of these FBW pampered gamers who yell when the plane doesn´t fly on rails automatically for them XD

I personally know a couple of those.

Well, I told all the folks I forced to at least try DCS with me that they have to build they rails they wanna fly on for themselves. This way everyone knew what they were up to and at least for a few of them it's still fun to fly :) It's all about expectations!

- Deutsche Tutorials und DCS Gameplay: youtube.com/Rakuzard | raku.yt/discord -

unfortunately its seems not,

it is really annnoying to keep your hand on the stick and constantly trim, it would be nice to get to point a to point b with a simple altitude hold.

The Mig-21 is The flyable version of The AK-47, so why not some love with autopilot for such aircraft. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

mabye not unsophisticated for eastern block standards but certainly by western standards yes.

it was yet the reason it was exported was because it was one of the cheapest aircraft most air forces could afford from the ussr or eastern block countries.

F5 even as a cheap western export where it lacks an Autopilot, and IFF Interrogator, is more sophisticated than Mig21Bis in wheere it matters most. technologically superior Radar & RWR.

and even countries that had the cash for better fighters or were far from impoverished states ( like Switzerland) still bought the F5 as a primary AF fighter.

so that cheap export( by western standards) manages to exceed ( eastern block 3rd generation standards) tech of the mig21.

The Mig-21 is The flyable version of The AK-47 so why not some love with autopilot for such aircraft. :thumbup:

yes i own the mig21bis, F5E seems like the wests idea of the flyable Ak47( or rather Northrops) to so other countries could have an affordable option to compete with the True flying Ak47 from the east . IMO its cockpit layout instruments seems to have a more logical layout, & also more user friendly than the mig21.

Very true. The MiG gets referred to as comblock junk a lot but for it's time it was impressive.

I am surprised the Tiger does not have any AP functions tho!

I wouldnt say its junk, but still somewhat crude and less refined to Nato standards.

. for soviets top frontline fighter, it technological aspects dont even come close to measuring up with the F4E phantom from 1968.

even the Mig23M having plenty avonics improvements over the mig21 is still technologically inferior to the phantom and theF5E a cheep export is a close counter the mig21, which still has better avionics tech (Radar & RWR) over the mig21.

sorry but when it comes to avionics aspect of jet fighters in the cold war Russian were never really on the level of western nato tech.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD