What is the approximate timeline that DCS presents?

GianS

I am trying to figure out what is the approximate timeline that DCS World presents in regards to the available technology?

Is it early 2000's? I am just trying to understand as it would not reflect the latest defense technology available.

I am merely asking to add context to my own narrative when playing.

Many thanks,

G

It started as late 90's to early 2000's in the original Flanker/Lock On series and then got expanded with random additions, but most of the content in the game can be used for an early/mid 2000's scenario.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Yeah, it was originally set in the Russo-Georgian War in 2008, so a large portion of assets and campaigns are in and around that timeframe. It's somewhat grown since then into aircraft from previous eras (WWII, Vietnam, and early Cold War).

Most any semi-modern timeframe can be approximated with the default assets, but it's biased toward 1970s+, atm.

• Thanks 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Yeah, it was originally set in the Russo-Georgian War in 2008, so a large portion of assets and campaigns are in and around that timeframe. It's somewhat grown since then into aircraft from previous eras (WWII, Vietnam, and early Cold War).

Most any semi-modern timeframe can be approximated with the default assets, but it's biased toward 1970s+, atm.

TBH, thats both a good thing and a bad thing and shows the lack of direction with DCS. Rather than focus on one period, we now have a/c from the 1940s to 1990s along with 3 maps. Don't get me wrong, I love DCS however its not really representative of a period except for maybe WW2 (with Normandy).

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

Don't get me wrong, I love DCS however its not really representative of a period except for maybe WW2 (with Normandy).

Not even that, the WWII aircraft are not the correct versions for a Normandy '44 scenario.

You just have to treat it like a sandbox with random things thrown together, rather than a recreation of a specific historical period.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Not even that, the WWII aircraft are not the correct versions for a Normandy '44 scenario.

You just have to treat it like a sandbox with random things thrown together, rather than a recreation of a specific historical period.

^ This

DCS = Digital Combat Simulator

Even by reading that name you can figure out it's completely ahistorical universal combat simulator or it would be called : Wings of Fury:Normandy 44

:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TBH, thats both a good thing and a bad thing and shows the lack of direction with DCS. Rather than focus on one period, we now have a/c from the 1940s to 1990s along with 3 maps. Don't get me wrong, I love DCS however its not really representative of a period except for maybe WW2 (with Normandy).

I don't think they're concerned with a specific timeframe, rather providing a sandbox. All their aircraft are based on declassified info, so we won't see anything like F22 or Apache. So it seems to be declassified specific and not time frame specific. It seems the direction is to accurately simulate aircraft based on all available information and if they can't get that information, they don't want to make the aircraft.

I agree with the above postings though I have one point I would like to add.

Traditionally, ED's DCS provides high fidelity aircraft and a maps to fly from. This, as noted above spans multiple aircraft and does so in cooperation with multiple partners.

This thread is an unofficial catalogue of products that make up DCS-world. It's quite something.

That said, it should be noted that ED has been around now for while and amassed an impressive portfolio and things change.

Case in point is the Normandy '44 WW2 product bundle, as it's name suggests, is very much time frame specific.

It can be seen as a bit of a break from the traditional DCS way to some extent. It's name sets an expectation of aircraft, map, assets and environment that are representative of that point in WW2.

Many in the DCS customer base, looking to migrate from older more dated flight sims, are anticipating a good future of DCS WW2 as a platform and the ball is very much in ED's court. Recently news concerning WW2 pending updates suggests ED may indeed recognise this and are working hard to that end.

Others enjoy leveraging the available maps to fly perhaps Korean War era jets.

The cold war aircraft provide another era to fly in and of course the NTTR map is the nod to modern fighter jet operations as well as just general flying.

So there are certainly 'era's' represented in the available offering from ED & Partners which make up the DCS portfolio.

Hope this helps.

S!

Case in point is the Normandy '44 WW2 product bundle, as it's name suggests, is very much time frame specific.

It can be seen as a bit of a break from the traditional DCS way to some extent. It's name sets an expectation of aircraft, map, assets and environment that are representative of that point in WW2.

Except they are not, as I mentioned previously. P-51D is in variant that was not used in Europe (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160794), Both Bf-109K and Fw-190D were introduced later and did not participate in fights over Normandy in '44.

So if you really dig into details, it all falls apart. The reason is simple, P-51 was developed before the idea of DCS: Normandy, and the Bf and Fw were picked in their "most cool" variants to make the project more attractive to Kickstarter backers, probably with an idea that the terrain will be expanded in the future.

Edited by some1

I don't think they're concerned with a specific timeframe, rather providing a sandbox. All their aircraft are based on declassified info, so we won't see anything like F22 or Apache. So it seems to be declassified specific and not time frame specific. It seems the direction is to accurately simulate aircraft based on all available information and if they can't get that information, they don't want to make the aircraft.

F22? No, probably not. Apache? Seriously? You think we can have F-18s and F-16s but not a forty year old helicopter?

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I am trying to figure out what is the approximate timeline that DCS World presents in regards to the available technology?

AIRCRAFT: 1943 (Spitfire IX) to 2018; with loads of gaps.

MAPS: June-August 1944 (Normandy), and 2016-ish (Caucasus and NTTR)?

ASSETS / OBJECTS: Late 1930s (British 40mmbofors AA) to 2018; also with gaps.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

• 3 years later...

I resume this old thread to ask a similar but also different question: we have a lot of different assets, is there a way to list them according to their time frame? If I want to build a mission with korea jets, or f-5 vs mig-21, how can I know what kind of assets to use in order to be time accurate? I'm not a ground assets, AAA or G-A missiles expert, so is there a way to filter the available assets according to their time period?

The question is when it's the latest year that we can realistically simulate in DCS?  2009 or 2010?? The latest A-10C II should be circa 2010, but I'm not sure.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

Mid-to-late 2010s is where we're at right now AFAIK.

DCS itself spans the mid 1930s (I-16) to the mid-to-late 2010s (A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, JF-17 (?)).

Problem is, pick any era in particular, and there isn't a whole lot of coherency. The most fleshed out era is late WWII-ish (though there's still a lot more that could be done).

Edited by Northstar98
formatting, spelling

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

For the FA-18 about 2080 (sometime when physics are no longer a limiting factor for sensors) .. for the F-16 about mid 2000s but build by the cheapest and hobby enthusiasts in a garage who then ran out of funds.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline