New setting in DCS - what do these do?

Notso

in the latest version of DCS Stable - there are two new things (new to me) in the DCS VR setting window.

Bloom effect and MSAA Mask Size.

What do these do and what are good settings with a Reverb and my specs below? It defaulted to Bloom checked and MSAA mask size .42

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

MSAA mask size is meant to improve performance by only applying the aa to a portion of the visible screen a circle based from the center of the screen. It both works and doesn’t, it does mask the AA however it seems to do it after the render and makes no positive impact in performance.

I think bloom is meant to turn on or off light bloom effects, e.g. the glare around strong light sources, I have it turned off... not sure it has any perf impact...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

MSAA mask size is meant to improve performance by only applying the aa to a portion of the visible screen a circle based from the center of the screen. It both works and doesn’t, it does mask the AA however it seems to do it after the render and makes no positive impact in performance.

I think bloom is meant to turn on or off light bloom effects, e.g. the glare around strong light sources, I have it turned off... not sure it has any perf impact...

Ok, that sort of makes sense. What settings are you running the Mask size on? is 1.0 the same as having the AA on 100% of the eyepiece?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Yes, that is correct. But, as Stuart said, it’s just not working at the moment in helping performance, so don’t bother trying until it’s fixed.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yes, that is correct. But, as Stuart said, it’s just not working at the moment in helping performance, so don’t bother trying until it’s fixed.

Yes this...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 7 months later...

I haven't played with the MSAA mask size, however I have found the Bloom effect setting useful. If you try flying a night time cold start, the bloom effect makes the super bright cursor in the dark cockpit have a 'halo' around it, which is pretty annoying and makes it hard to see the dark controls. Turning off the bloom effect really helps in dark cockpits, at least for me.

[Maximus XIII Hero] [i9-11900K (5.5Ghz)] [RTX3090] [128GB G.Skill @3800Mhz] [Samsung 980Pro] [Index/G2/8K+/8KX/VP2]