In-Game Scratchpad Mod Available - Works Great In VR!

Fubarbrickdust

Hi,

:thumbup: Thanks to Ruska

Saw a link for this mod today morning in the German-Forum

Test :

Text remains after Quit / Start of DCS

Working in MP

Scrolling

Would be fantastic with an option to "LOAD" text-files, e.g. Checklists

-

Actually you can...using your kneeboard.

I can get this to show up in 2D but will not appear in VR - OpenBeta, Oculus Rift, i7 8700K, 32GB, GTX 1070Ti - ideas?

DISCO

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-4E | F-5E | F-14B | F/A-18C | AV-8B NA | UH-1H | FC3 | Yak-52 | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA-342

i7 8700K | GTX 1070 Ti | 32GB 3000 DDR4

FAA Comm'l/Instrument, FAST Formation Wingman, Yak-52 Owner/Pilot

I can get this to show up in 2D but will not appear in VR - OpenBeta, Oculus Rift, i7 8700K, 32GB, GTX 1070Ti - ideas?

Have you moved the window all the way to the right in 2D and are using a higher resolution on 2D than in VR? If so, it might be possible that the window is shown outside of your current window bounds and the fix would be to move it back to the left in 2D (since the position is persisted).

Author of Scratchpad, DATIS, and maintainer of DCS-gRPC.

I have added the option to change the font size (and slightly increased the default one). The updated version can be found here: https://github.com/rkusa/dcs-scratchpad/releases/tag/0.2.0

The option is called fontSize and can be changed in Config/ScratchpadConfig.lua (if the file does not exist, start DCS once after mod installation).

... and btw, thanks for the kind words, I wouldn't have expected that the mod would be that well received!

I've received the suggestion to add pagination to the Scratchpad. What do you guys think about this suggestion? Should switching between pages (or tabs) work through hotkeys or buttons?

I have added the option to change the font size (and slightly increased the default one). The updated version can be found here: https://github.com/rkusa/dcs-scratchpad/releases/tag/0.2.0

The option is called fontSize and can be changed in Config/ScratchpadConfig.lua (if the file does not exist, start DCS once after mod installation).

... and btw, thanks for the kind words, I wouldn't have expected that the mod would be that well received!

I've received the suggestion to add pagination to the Scratchpad. What do you guys think about this suggestion? Should switching between pages (or tabs) work through hotkeys or buttons?

Glad you joined up! thank you for this mod, it's great!!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Have you moved the window all the way to the right in 2D and are using a higher resolution on 2D than in VR? If so, it might be possible that the window is shown outside of your current window bounds and the fix would be to move it back to the left in 2D (since the position is persisted).
I moved it to the center of the screen in 2D so should be clearly in view regardless. I do have a debugging window up constantly in the right hand side for some code I am working on, could it be that?

I'll try it back in the upper left as a starter.

Whether I get it to work or not thanks for doing this, this is a LONG overdue function and seems well executed.

DISCO

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-4E | F-5E | F-14B | F/A-18C | AV-8B NA | UH-1H | FC3 | Yak-52 | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA-342

I moved it to the center of the screen in 2D so should be clearly in view regardless. I do have a debugging window up constantly in the right hand side for some code I am working on, could it be that?

I'll try it back in the upper left as a starter.

If this does not help, you could also check the Logs/DCS.log and Logs/Scratchpad.log files for errors.

The content of Logs/Scratchpad.log should contain content similar to:

[16:02:00] Loading config file...
[16:02:00] Configuration exists...
[16:02:00] Creating Scratchpad window hidden...
[16:02:00] Scratchpad Window created

No issue apparent in the scratchpad log or DCS log - I will test later today and see if I can figure it out.

DISCO

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks n26 for this excellent tool !

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

First thanks for this fantastic add on.

It's a great help in MP when setting up a strike, or simply for replacing the usual pen and paper notebook.

Now, for adfing pages. Please make it optional and hotkeys are a good idea, but people in VR may prefer buttons for "VR mouse clicks".

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I thought maybe the issue was the A-4E-C but tried in Harrier as well, the cursor moves to the specific location when scratchpad is activated but it seems the scratchpad itself is not displaying in DCS, but only in VR.

Going to try again but really puzzled why it works fine in 2D but not VR.

DISCO

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I thought maybe the issue was the A-4E-C but tried in Harrier as well, the cursor moves to the specific location when scratchpad is activated but it seems the scratchpad itself is not displaying in DCS, but only in VR.

Going to try again but really puzzled why it works fine in 2D but not VR.

DISCO

Works fine in VR here.:huh:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Moving scratchpad back to upper left hand corner in 2D fixed the visibility issue in VR - great mod!

DISCO

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Im definitely going to give this a go later! This looks awsome, not to take anything away from the author here but im surprised this was never a function of the DCS kneeboard,í ¾í´�

It was asked for hundreds of times, but ED never did anything about it. Glad the dev here took it into his own hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Works great in conjunction with VoiceAttack's dictation. I have mine set up so when I say "scratch pad", the scratch pad opens and VoiceAttack then takes whatever I say and converts it to text on the windows clipboard. When I am done speaking, I highlight whatever text is leftover in scratchpad from the previous use, or, if I don't want to replace it, just put the cursor in scratchpad at the end of the previous text, and then I say "display". At that point, VoiceAttack stops its dictation mode and pastes the windows clipboard contents into scratchpad. "close" command closes scratchpad....Alittle refinement will take the clumsiness out of it but its a great help in VR.

Works great in conjunction with VoiceAttack's dictation. I have mine set up so when I say "scratch pad", the scratch pad opens and VoiceAttack then takes whatever I say and converts it to text on the windows clipboard. When I am done speaking, I highlight whatever text is leftover in scratchpad from the previous use, or, if I don't want to replace it, just put the cursor in scratchpad at the end of the previous text, and then I say "display". At that point, VoiceAttack stops its dictation mode and pastes the windows clipboard contents into scratchpad. "close" command closes scratchpad....Alittle refinement will take the clumsiness out of it but its a great help in VR.

Wow !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Whoa! I gotta see how to set it up this way. thanks for the heads up!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

assuming you already run VoiceAttack,

after installing scratchpad mod,...

The dictation commands come from the "OTHER " Menu, also {DICTATION} is a token (don't know what that really means) but its case sensitive

STEP1.thumb.jpg.5cd589ed18e07c3821cf1747377a4704.jpg

STEP2.thumb.jpg.b723420aae668a95ad7a2a757cadc15b.jpg

STEP3.thumb.jpg.a9f3df87c939418cfa6c902aba03d31e.jpg

Edited by fredclan
  • Thanks 1

The dictation commands come from the "OTHER " Menu, also {DICTATION} is a token (don't know what that really means) but its case sensitive

thank you!

Yes , many thanks for this as well . Bookmarked !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I put together a beefed up VoiceAttack program that allows you to dictate hands free to ScratchPad. You can also opt to hear an audio playback of your dictation if you want to bypass ScratchPad. The playback will loop10 times or until you Say ENOUGH. It bypasses Windows Clipboard and handles all the text editing and window focus issues as well. Currently, the ScratchPad component is working in 2D but I'm not sure how its workin in VR. I'm not in VR any longer so I can't troubleshoot. Feel free to work on it and share. Please report bugs.

THANK YOU n26 for ScratchPad.

Update: The profile now working in VR. Profile version & ReadMe updated.

Scratchpad and Playback v1.3-Profile.rar

ScratchPad & Playback ReadMe 1.3.txt

Scratchpad and Playback v1.3-Profile.zip

Edited by Chic
Update VR status and profile version
  • Thanks 2

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS