DCS: P-47D-30 Discussion

Barrett_g

This is such an ugly plane, it shouldn't be allowed to fly.

That's exactly what a whole bunch of Luftwaffe pilots thought too. :rotflmao:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Remembering Arlie "Jack" Campbell, US Army Air Forces, WWII. Well done dad, rest in peace.

Must be a Thunderbolt thing :)

I think she's beautiful... in a hot rod kind of way. Most pilots didn't like the way the p-47 looked at first. Then they fell in love when they realized its capabilities and the ability to bring them home alive.

Those Pilots from WWII soon began to realize that you take a photo for your beloved ones in front of a P-51 Mustang since it just looks better, sleek, dynamic, SEXY

BUT

they all wanted to climb into the P-47's cockpit soon after the photo as they realized what it is capable of and what it can take for punishment without letting them down.

I love the P-47s and I personally think it is also a beauty. One that can loose a few cylinders, one third of a wing, some tail surfaces and still bring you home and ram down a brick wall when sliding over the runway when your gear was damaged too... and you still where able to walk away.

Something the P-51 never could. Something most planes never could.

Apopos punishment:

Have you seen that F-15 that lost the COMPLETE right wing and made it home with a 3 Point landing ? Israeli Air Force...somewhere on youtube with original footage and pics. This, I doubt the P-47 could have achieved. The F-15 seems to be the best of them all when it comes to loose some surface ;) That video is a MUST-HAVE-SEEN

The unbelievable:

Bit

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Those Pilots from WWII soon began to realize that you take a photo for your beloved ones in front of a P-51 Mustang since it just looks better, sleek, dynamic, SEXY

This gentleman would like to have a word with you...

17150368_1_l.thumb.jpg.e84571d86ece9d2eaf756bbf4d3ee0eb.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
That's exactly what a whole bunch of Luftwaffe pilots thought too. :rotflmao:

More then a few Japanese pilots near Wewak and Saipan will probably have thought the same. (but we're nowhere near there yet :)

• 1 month later...

Hate to bump an old thread but I wanted to share this and this was the apropriate place. Iam named after a great Uncle on my fathers side "Capt. Thomas Michael Baker" (I have the Michael part) I recently found out he flew P-47 Thunderbolt in the Italian Theatre in WWII and later flew F-86 Sabre's in Korea, and was killed in 1956 in a mishap in a F-86 near jackson mississippi, in his career he earned the DFC and Air Medal with 2 OLC's. I do not know which squadrons he was with as of yet except his last one, the 4750th which only operated from 1953 to 1960, still digging to find out what squadron he was with in both WWII and korea as I plan on making or having made (as im a very amature skinner) skins for his planes he flew in both wars in his memory.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was trying to copy paste a chart I found that summs up the performance but the numbers just jumbled together so heres the link instead.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/p-47n-88406.html

and I realize this is the N but it says in this memorandum

"The P-47 N airplane has performance and handling characteristics very similar to the early P-47 airplanes, but due to heavier weights caused by greater fuel capacity, performance is lower when using equal power settings. The rate of roll is slower, due to the weight being farther from the longitudinal axis of the airplane. "

Edited by MVS=okie=

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I sure hope they model that P&W engine properly... It's a beast.

"Ultimately, the maximum power achieved on the “B” series was 2800 HP at 2700

RPM. Maximum power ever achieved on the “C” series was 3800 HP at 2800 RPM.

The maximum manifold pressure ever recorded was a staggering 150 inches of

mercury (inHg)! This was up from dramatically from the 49-inHg maximum manifold

pressure originally allowed in the R-2800 “A” series of engines."

REFERENCE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

• 1 month later...

Let's get a "P-47 wish list" going.

The P-47D-30 will come fully modeled with its 8 .50 cals... So the air-to-air department is covered.

As far as air-to-ground goes.... What do you think is needed to take full advantage of the P-47?

I think it'll come with the basic bombs that the P-51 has.... What else should we request/hope for?

As for myself... I want napalm... And cluster munitions!

BE50A2A7-F075-4591-AD5F-F561B933B03E_zpsowgcakta.jpg

• ED Team
Let's get a "P-47 wish list" going.

The P-47D-30 will come fully modeled with its 8 .50 cals... So the air-to-air department is covered.

As far as air-to-ground goes.... What do you think is needed to take full advantage of the P-47?

I think it'll come with the basic bombs that the P-51 has.... What else should we request/hope for?

As for myself... I want napalm... And cluster munitions!

BE50A2A7-F075-4591-AD5F-F561B933B03E_zpsowgcakta.jpg

What were the specific weapon names for each of those, I could start looking for documentation in my spare time....

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Or change it to a M model.

M model was piece of garbage (;)) until they got it working in april '45. Then it was already too late.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What were the specific weapon names for each of those, I could start looking for documentation in my spare time....

The picture I posted is an early cluster munition... I'm in a hurry before work and I don't have my references handy. I'll post up more info later.

Off hand I remember the M-29 as a cluster munition that was used during WWII.

Also... I'm not sure napalm had a specific name at the time. If you google "WWII napalm" you'll see many pics of guys filling napalm bombs.

In the early stages of development, they just filled drop tanks with napalm jelly. They made a specific gas cap that had a fuse on it. When the drop tank hit the ground it burst and the fuse ignited it. They used 75gal, 110gal, 160gal gas tanks... Depending on how much napalm they would need... There was little visual deference between a napalm bomb and a drop tank... Except the detonation cap sticking out of the gas cap.

Bombers just dropped 55gallon drums of the stuff.... But fighters needed the aerodynamics of the drop tanks.

I'll post more later when I'm off work!