Upgrading for VR!

Howdy. I have come into a little money to splurge on new pc parts. current PC is a i5 8400 and gtx 1080 run DCS on a monitor maxed out 1440p with over 100fps no matter what mission I am flying. In vr it chugs quite badly on even small missions.....and I really like flying in VR. I am planning to upgrade to a i7 8700k and over clocking it to 5ghz(god willing) and pairing it with a RTX 2080super. I am hoping to stay on the same mother board which is why I am staying with 8thgen intel( I don't think I can go 9th gen on this mother board) would this be enough to get me to a constant 70fps in VR on decent settings ?

It seems no one it´s getting stable 70 fPS in VR right now without compromising quality.

ED is working on that, though. So maybe one day.

But you will likely get that shutting off shadows and maybe installing the VR shaders with your upgraded config.

Have you worked through the guides here? https://vr4dcs.com/

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Howdy. I have come into a little money to splurge on new pc parts. current PC is a i5 8400 and gtx 1080 run DCS on a monitor maxed out 1440p with over 100fps no matter what mission I am flying. In vr it chugs quite badly on even small missions.....and I really like flying in VR. I am planning to upgrade to a i7 8700k and over clocking it to 5ghz(god willing) and pairing it with a RTX 2080super. I am hoping to stay on the same mother board which is why I am staying with 8thgen intel( I don't think I can go 9th gen on this mother board) would this be enough to get me to a constant 70fps in VR on decent settings ?

Well I don't play VR although I have tried in the past with Samsung Odyssey and I thought this was ridiculous and unacceptable in terms of quality and spotting enemies be it on the ground or in air. I continue flying in 2D. anyways my question is, how do you play in 1440p with everything maxed and at constants 70 FPS when I seem to have just about the same PC as you or even better and I cant max and still end up with low 50s. I have i7 4790k with RTX 2080 and 24 GB RAM 2400 MHZ speed and Samsung SSD

What vr head set are you intending to use? But no and you wouldn’t want to . Ideally you wan to operate at either the native frame rate of your device or half of that with asw/motion vector... to ensure smoothness ... and a lot will depend on the number of pixels you drive and the visual quality you consider acceptable your planned super is a little faster than my 1080ti but with less memory....I can run at a functional 45 FPS in motion vector which gives me smooth frames except in the most demanding scenarios, where I either need to turn some settings down or reduce unit counts.

My normal settings are below in my sig.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Well I don't play VR although I have tried in the past with Samsung Odyssey and I thought this was ridiculous and unacceptable in terms of quality and spotting enemies be it on the ground or in air. I continue flying in 2D. anyways my question is, how do you play in 1440p with everything maxed and at constants 70 FPS when I seem to have just about the same PC as you or even better and I cant max and still end up with low 50s. I have i7 4790k with RTX 2080 and 24 GB RAM 2400 MHZ speed and Samsung SSD

I can hold 60 (Locked) at max settings

. (MSAA x 2)

If you check with msi afterburner, but I think you will find the bottleneck (throughput) is the old 4790k and DDR 3 ram. Ring the neck out of it lol. Are you overclocking..?

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Your CPU is way to weak for the gpu you are running. I punched you cpu and GPU into bottle neck calculator and it comes back with a 73% bottleneck. so you are essentially only getting half of what that RTX 2080 is fully capable of. Even though my i5 is just and i5 and running a 1080 they both work really well together. I am also running 32gigs of 3200mhz DDR4 ram. not to be rude but your computer is really not comparable to mine the way it is configured right now.

Edited by TheOtherSider

What vr head set are you intending to use? But no and you wouldn’t want to . Ideally you wan to operate at either the native frame rate of your device or half of that with asw/motion vector... to ensure smoothness ... and a lot will depend on the number of pixels you drive and the visual quality you consider acceptable your planned super is a little faster than my 1080ti but with less memory....I can run at a functional 45 FPS in motion vector which gives me smooth frames except in the most demanding scenarios, where I either need to turn some settings down or reduce unit counts.

My normal settings are below in my sig.

I use the Rift s. I can accpet 45 fps. The probelm I run into currently is when flying in vr and mission with medium sized units. the HMD will freeze and well, it is almost like the image is smearing then snapping back. it makes me quite motion sick. The only think I really need to look great are the trees and water ( I hate seeing trees popping in, very immersion breaking for me) and the cockpit being crystal clear. and also being able to spot air threats groud targets and SAM launches.

I decided to bump my sim game up new mobo i9 9900k and a rtx 2080ti. I will...will this damn simulator to 70fps the the sheer power of capitalism!

Man: don´t blind your mind with urgencys.

Think a little, please: A 10600K is surely cheaper than a 9900K and a better bet.

And a 2080ti right now? (that´s crazy): better wait for Ampere to get a second hand one or a better company for that upgraded CPU with Display Port 2.0

DP2.0 is probably the most important and underrated upgrade for the future of VR: It will enable hier resolution panels, HDR, Hier refreshes.... You name it: you got it.

Just upgrade with logic. Just an advice. ;)

Think a little, please: A 10600K is surely cheaper than a 9900K and a better bet.

And a 2080ti right now? (that´s crazy): better wait for Ampere to get a second hand one or a better company for that upgraded CPU with Display Port 2.0

DP2.0 is probably the most important and underrated upgrade for the future of VR: It will enable hier resolution panels, HDR, Hier refreshes.... You name it: you got it.

:thumbup:

Sometimes we are just crazy and need a "Hey, stop and THINK buddy!!"

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The i9 is not happening now. I realized it was back ordered into august. so I stepped it down to a I7 9700k. I was able to get one on ebay for $305. I had also considered waiting for Ampere but I picked up this 2080ti for $950ish, also on ebay. That was a pretty good deal I thought. :)

I got all my parts thrown into a box and quite frankly I am kinda shock. DCS at 1440p maxed out has hit the limit of my 144hz monitor. I have never seen dcs run so smooth. In vr with the VR preset and a few things bumped up I am getting...well I am not sure because I don't know how to see my frames in VR but it feels quite smooth. I finally know what its like to fly DCS like Mat Wagner !!

Frankly, I´m worried about the guy on other thread that is strugling on low 90 FPS on his new AMD Pc and on 1080p

It can´t be that much difference.

Happy to hear your experience was good Theothersider.

Very good to know.

His low fps are most likely due to using sslr, having that on cut my fps in half

Intel i7-10700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080 8GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, LG32GK850G 2560x1440 Monitor, Noctua u12a cooler

Frankly, I´m worried about the guy on other thread that is strugling on low 90 FPS on his new AMD Pc and on 1080p

It can´t be that much difference.

Happy to hear your experience was good Theothersider.

Very good to know.

If I remember correctly wasn't AMD having problems with their newest drivers ? it was affecting frame rate I think.

If I remember correctly wasn't AMD having problems with their newest drivers ? it was affecting frame rate I think.

AMD is known by being one year behind Nvidia in driver specifications. They simply can´t catch Nvidia.

Let´s see if they can turn that, but, by now, the situation is that.

For VR I recommend Nvidia and I´ll happily change my advise when things change.

You know what?: Maybe Intel surprise us more than we thought with their new GPUs.

Edited by Leaderface

I got all my parts thrown into a box and quite frankly I am kinda shock. DCS at 1440p maxed out has hit the limit of my 144hz monitor. I have never seen dcs run so smooth. In vr with the VR preset and a few things bumped up I am getting...well I am not sure because I don't know how to see my frames in VR but it feels quite smooth. I finally know what its like to fly DCS like Mat Wagner !!

To check fps performance while on VR, just LCtrl + Pause and fps will show in red in the upper left corner.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

measuring FPS is only useful if you are not using ASW/motion vector and entirely useless to understand where the bottle neck actually is ...

to do that you have to measure the frame time of the CPU and GPU ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg