How to "know" when enemy has fired IR Missiles

Nuggit

Hi!

Im currently flying some campaigns with the hornet and have realized that its more or less a guessing game for me when the enemies have fired a IR missile towards me...with the radar guided missiles its no problem with the tone that tells you that a gift is incoming...

is there anyway to realize when a IR missile has been fired... the visibility of these are simply not good enough so that I can see them...

There got to be a way?...

:)

/Niklas

Hi Nuggit,

Like they are saying, you generally have to see the launch. The only other way is anticipatory flare usage if you are in a fight and you see them pulling lead to put you within the launch envelope. If you are defending against MANPADS, then you can pre-emptively drop flares, release your weapons, then break and drop another bundle to try and defeat the shot. If you're with a human wingman, you can have one go cover to watch for launches while the other attacks.

Cheers,

Thump

IR missile is big threat. Eyeballing smoke trails from this missile is difficult to see from all angle. Hard task to fly the aircraft and be eye scanning the environment for an IR missile.

I would think the IR missile threat was enough problem to a million dollar aircraft like the Hornet to warrant a missile warning receiver.

Did the most recent model than the legacy ever get the mwr?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

You need to trust your wingman. He should be keeping an eye out for you during your attack runs, and vice versa.

Unfortunately, during campaign missions, the AI are not the brightest. Lets hope ED makes some improvements in the future.

You need to trust your wingman. He should be keeping an eye out for you during your attack runs, and vice versa.

Unfortunately, during campaign missions, the AI are not the brightest. Lets hope ED makes some improvements in the future.

Hahah my wingman is an idiot! :)

Thanks everyone for their replies... Good to know I havent missed anything... its just hard... :)

Just flare preemptively when you know you’re within IR missile range until you can be sure the bandit isn’t at a good angle to fire anymore. That might mean dropping 20 flares in a row just “in case” but it’s better than dying.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Speaking of missiles, just about EVERY type of russki plane and heli in the game will pop chaff/flares the instant we fire a Sidewinder at them, even at very long range, so presumably they've all got missile launch detectors or eyes like hawks, which is it?

PS- and if they've got detectors why hasn't our Hornet?

Speaking of missiles, just about EVERY type of russki plane and heli in the game will pop chaff/flares the instant we fire a Sidewinder at them, even at very long range, so presumably they've all got missile launch detectors or eyes like hawks, which is it?

They do not have detectors. The AI just sees everything instantly.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

I find, fighting the AI quick mission dogfights, that being tunnel visioned on BVR makes you a sitting duck for IR missiles. It’s better to have your head out of the cockpit. Trying to guide an AIM-7 to its target takes too long and you’ll be merged with their wingmen by the time it hits or is lost. Getting tangled up in a furrball is also suicide. You can’t defend against shots from all around you. Keep away from the enemy and choose your targets but just going straight at em with a high aspect BVR shot is going to result in your death 90% of the time.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Map chaff and flares to two separate buttons, so you don't waste them (set MAN 1 and 5 in CMDS_ALE47.lua). Chose your targets and trajectory wisely, watch SA screen. If the bandit can fire on you, but you get no tone, assume he fires IR and go defensive. The 8v8 BVR quick mission is great for practice.

Edited by impalor

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

That was changed while ago when new AI was implemented. You could finally fly to their blind spot and even approach at them or launch missile at them and they do not spot it. They will even eventually lose your possible situation.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

You can also just set the Dispenser to Bypass, Aft will dispense flares and Fwd will do chaff.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I (PoorOldSpike) asked- Just about EVERY type of russki plane and heli in the game will pop chaff/flares the instant we fire a Sidewinder at them, even at very long range, so presumably they've all got missile launch detectors or eyes like hawks, which is it?

------------------------------------------------------------

They do not have detectors. The AI just sees everything instantly.

Yeah that's what seems to be happening now, so reality flies out the window (sniffle)

That was changed while ago when new AI was implemented. You could finally fly to their blind spot and even approach at them or launch missile at them and they do not spot it. They will even eventually lose your possible situation.

What, are you saying that's how the AI used to be in the past?

Edited by PoorOldSpike

If the bandit can fire on you, but you get no tone, assume he fires IR and go defensive.

I saw bandits behave this way and preemptively pop flares when I'm at their six without having them locked (maybe just painted) and without firing any missile.

I'm doing that as well. It's just tactics, mixed with situational awareness, experience, feeling, instinct and a little luck. Dogfight is a harsh environment to be in.

Anyway, "Lose sight, lose the fight"

Inviato dal mio SM-G950F utilizzando Tapatalk

- "It's better to reign in hell than to serve in Heaven"

Modules: A-4E-C Skyhawk, A-10C II Tank Killer, AJS37 Viggen, AV-8B Harrier, F-14B Tomcat, F-15C Eagle, F-16C Viper, F/A-18C Hornet, MIG-21 Fishbed, MIG-29, SU-27, SU-33

Maps: Caucasus, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier

Rig: i7 4790 / Nvidia GTX 1070 Strix / 16GB RAM DDR3 1600 MHz / 256 GB SSD / Windows 10

Setup: ThrustMaster TWCS Throttle, Titanwolf "Vulture" Stick, DelanClip PRO, Home-made universal Cockpit panel

What, are you saying that's how the AI used to be in the past?

No, it was in the past that AI saw all, they reacted immediately to launches etc. It was changed to that they have blind spots where they can't see.

I tried to search the post where original poster thanks ED about it, and he has videos etc about the changes how the AI is unaware of him when he flies passively from blind spot, and only reacts once comes out of it.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

For the record here are a couple of screenshots I took 10 minutes ago in Hornet version 2.5.6 to illustrate how enemy planes pop flares at longish range the instant I fire a Sidewinder at them which makes me think they've either got launch detectors or eyes like hawks, I dunno which..:)

dcs-flares-A.png

Edited by PoorOldSpike

https://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/tu95bear/

Infrared sensors of the Mak-UT IR sensor missile approach warning system are installed under the nose sections and on the top surface of the fuselage above the wings.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Also, 3nm is not remotely “longish” range. You’d easily see a bandit launching an IR missile at you from that range.

Yep, 3nm missile launches are not hard to spot if you know generally where to look

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg