Force IPD in game setting = smoothness+clarity!!

StoOopiD

Since I bought a Rift s about 2 months ago its been mostly tinkering with settings and dcs vr optimization videos. In search of the frame rate over clarity.

When i went to force my IPD to 62.5 I notice the Default DCS aircraft scale was definitely incorrect. setting FORCE IPD to around 48 is closer to real life. I believe running default scale is causing rendering issues and random lag spikes? Now its butter smooth, even cranked up msaa to x4. THIS VR SETTING IS A MUST!

Or u can FORCE IPD to 6 and pretend you're a 6 year old that stole a F-16:megalol:

I hope this helps other new Rift s users.

What is the distance across the F-14 cockpit? So i can scale more accurately. I want to hold a ruler in front of me.

Im also finding out that I'm a better crash pilot than a fighter pilot:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Crosshair VIII hero wifi, 3800x w/ Enermax 360 AIO cooler (push-pull), 32gigs DDR4 Ripjaws 3600, Win 10 home on a Plextor PCI-E x4 3gb/s HD, EVGA 2070 Super FTW3 ultra+, Soundblaster Z

Rift S, M$FFB2, CH Pro throttle, Saitek pedals

BS2, A10C, P51D, SPITFIRE, FC3, Uh-1H, F86, Mi-8MTV2, SA342, MIG21-bis, AV8BNA, F14, F16, FA-18C, SUPERCARRIER

IPD setting should be named world scale, and it has nothing tondo with your real physical IPD...it is a little bit misleading unfortunately.

Anyway it could help with clarity, but I don’t think it will with performances

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

When i went to force my IPD to 62.5 I notice the Default DCS aircraft scale was definitely incorrect.

Well, i set mine at 69 because everything looks way to big if i go lower.

Did you compare the sticksize in the airplane with the one you use (i almost said "have" instead of "use" but then that might put you on the wrong leg).

At 48 it's definitaly way to big (for me).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I've only just started running in VR a few days ago, but when I jumped into the F16 I could tell straight away that the stick looked odd, and far to small compared to the warthog stick (I assume they are similar in size in real life). The Hornet stick also feels a touch small, but no where near as bad as the F16. I used my IPD as shown on the Quest headset itself, its a little strange how different modules require different value.

I've only just started running in VR a few days ago, but when I jumped into the F16 I could tell straight away that the stick looked odd, and far to small compared to the warthog stick (I assume they are similar in size in real life). The Hornet stick also feels a touch small, but no where near as bad as the F16. I used my IPD as shown on the Quest headset itself, its a little strange how different modules require different value.

IPD on Quest headset and IPD values in DCS GUI are very different things and not related to each other.

In game adjustment changes the scale of the image, like making the plane look larger/smaller.

IPD adjustment on Quest Headset is for best image clarity, nothing to do with scale of the image in the headset.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Did you compare the sticksize in the airplane with the one you use (i almost said "have" instead of "use" but then that might put you on the wrong leg).

No, but i did the "Ass to seat ratio" When i look down at the seat in the cockpit i considered my ass width compared to the cockpit seat. default only one of my legs fit in the cockpit seat.

Also look at the rudder pedals in the cockpit compared to where your real feet are.

default is definitely wrong.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Crosshair VIII hero wifi, 3800x w/ Enermax 360 AIO cooler (push-pull), 32gigs DDR4 Ripjaws 3600, Win 10 home on a Plextor PCI-E x4 3gb/s HD, EVGA 2070 Super FTW3 ultra+, Soundblaster Z

Rift S, M$FFB2, CH Pro throttle, Saitek pedals

BS2, A10C, P51D, SPITFIRE, FC3, Uh-1H, F86, Mi-8MTV2, SA342, MIG21-bis, AV8BNA, F14, F16, FA-18C, SUPERCARRIER

I set mine to match my WH F-18 stick and also my WH Throttle.

They are lined up pretty good at IPD 25.

Jeebus. I use like 50 something, which works for most planes aside from the viper.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I use a Rift S, and before that a CV1. I match my real IPD on both the Oculus software settings and the DCS World settings. While some modules are a bit different, by far the majority scale pretty close to dead on without any tweaks to the DCS IPD setting. What I do have to tweak for almost every single aircraft is the default head position for VR. Aircraft with virtual pilot bodies make this fairly easy to do. Those without virtual pilots, I check the external view for references of the eye position versus the seat, canopy frame, etc. Once I have the head in the right position, I rarely observe any scaling issues. I will say that some of the virtual pilots have long skinny arms and or legs.

The chair I sit in is a fairly accurate 1:1 scale model of an F-4E Martin-Baker ejection seat, including a real survival kit/seat pan and parachute container/head rest. This allows me to accurately very the scale in many US aircraft since the seat is very similar to most other US ejection seats in the basic dimensions, especially the notched seat cushion that allows the stick to move freely. I also have my stick placed correctly for an F-4E, which aside from some height differences, is otherwise very close to most aircraft I fly. It is in the throttle area that I see a lot more variety in location and range of motion between various modules. But I can't name a single module where the scaling seems so off that I need to adjust it.

What would be nice, is for me to put my rudder pedals on tracks to adjust the distance from the stick, then put the chair on tracks to adjust the distance from the stick so that I can more accurately replicate cockpits that deviate significantly from the F-4 dimensions I used for my setup. If I could adjust the seat height and recline angle, that would be icing on the cake.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What I do have to tweak for almost every single aircraft is the default head position for VR.

Every single mission or did you find a way to get these saved once you set them up to your liking?

Because i can't save the heads position by any means (i can in 2D but not in VR).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• ED Team

Or u can FORCE IPD to 6 and pretend you're a 6 year old that stole a F-16:megalol:

Child here :)

I like forcing my ingame IPD to 10, it feels right to me and solves a cross eye issue I had.

My IPD in the vive cosmos is correct around 65.

IPD in DCS VR settings just forces the separation between the eyes. But for some including my self my brain perceives it differently.

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Pretty much same for me.

Any value less than 68 makes the cockpit scaled unreasonably large.

Between 68 and 71 works well in my case.

The logic dcs ipd setting uses varies for users.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I have it at 56....setting to really extremally low values (6-20) really scales things to much up...

Do this helps performances for you?

Sure it impacts clarity rendering everything bigger

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Child here :)

I like forcing my ingame IPD to 10, it feels right to me and solves a cross eye issue I had.

My IPD in the vive cosmos is correct around 65.

IPD in DCS VR settings just forces the separation between the eyes. But for some including my self my brain perceives it differently.

I also have a Cosmos with IPD set at 65.2 (my rl ipd). So in theory, matching the numbers should enforce realworld size? Im a bit confused here. After all VR is about sitting in a accurate sized cockpit in a accurate scaled world. So what is correct now, regardless if I FEEL is correct or not? I could imagine the size of a car cab, but not the size of a cramped Mig21 pit.

Edited by cellinsky

Mine is 68 and feels about right. @OP there is no ''magic number for everyone'' including yours. Each person is literally unique and will need to tweak according to their own needs. When I first started tinkering, it seemed I was adjusting between planes, but after I settled on 68 I no longer had to do such.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I also have a Cosmos with IPD set at 65.2 (my rl ipd). So in theory, matching the numbers should enforce realworld size? Im a bit confused here. After all VR is about sitting in a accurate sized cockpit in a accurate scaled world. So what is correct now, regardless if I FEEL is correct or not? I could imagine the size of a car cab, but not the size of a cramped Mig21 pit.

Ipd in game has nothing to do with your personal physical IPD...AFAIK. It’s more “world scale”

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

The method I use with the A-10C cockpit is to compare the size of my HOTAS Warthog stick to the size of the stick in the game. I like to think of the DCS IPD as your brain having to know how far apart your eyes are to give you proper scale and depth perception of the world around you. So, IMHO, its not quite completely unrelated to your physical IPD. Just a hypothesis though, and all that really matters is what setting you put it at to make an in-game object appear the same size as a real-world object such as your stick.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Every single mission or did you find a way to get these saved once you set them up to your liking?

Because i can't save the heads position by any means (i can in 2D but not in VR).

The best way to make permanent changes is to find the aircraft of interest in the snap views file and edit that to suit your taste. There is a default view entry used for 2D and a separate one for VR.

The file path/name is:

C:\Users\<user name>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\View\SnapViews.lua

First, you have the search the lua file for the aircraft of interest. In this case I am found:

SnapViews["FW-190D9"] = {

The default VR head is too far back, so I edited the "x" value to move the default position 15 cm forward:

[14] = {--default view - VR

viewAngle = 80.000000,--FOV

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = -9.609863,

x_trans = 0.100000, <-- this value was -0.050000, which is in meters

y_trans = 0.018884,

z_trans = 0.035561,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

},

Note: lua files should only be altered with and editor that supports the file encoding used by DCS World, UTF-8, otherwise you may corrupt the file. I personally prefer Notepad++ for editing text files because it automatically detects and uses the correct file encoding scheme and has a lot of good tools built in and/or available as plugins.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]