Basic Flight training

Godric

Is there any mission/ campaigns that teach the fundamentals of the F-18? I'm talking like the Basic Flight training campaign for the A-10 C, Something that comprehensive. I want to learn the proper way to operate this module, the Youtube videos are great, the training missions are okay, but it feels like patch work. The A-10 C training campaign was not only much more immersive. it was more structured. And being required to pass one section before moving on really makes what you learn sink in.

training missions are a good start. also multitude of YouTube vids. get a grip on takeoff, flying, and landing. then get into weapons. muscle memory is key which will come after many hours.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Just create your own mission in the editor, it only takes 2 minutes no kidding, just place your plane on an empty map then hop in and away you go and have fun pressing all the buttons and stuff without getting distracted by anything shooting at you.

In fact I've created a number of such missions for myself with different weapons to try out in each one, eg Mavericks, Sidewinders etc as I find it's the easiest way to learn..:)

I agree with PoorOldSpike. I've done just that. Create a mission with just your aircraft on the ramp. Fly it. Navigate. Land it. Practice. Now add a couple of ground targets. Practice with different weapons - not necessarily all - maybe 3. Get used to it. Get used to the FLIR. Now add a small convoy. Find it and practice with your different weapons. Add the carrier. Practice. Add a couple of SAMs. Practice. Add a tanker. Practice. Add some hostile cargo aircraft. Practice. It's very easy and a great way to learn each bit. I'm in the process of adding some hostile aircraft that can shoot back! ... and I have the one mission I've gradually built that has it all so I can practice or revisit previous tasks. It's not a bad training ground!!

Just create your own mission in the editor, it only takes 2 minutes no kidding, just place your plane on an empty map then hop in and away you go and have fun pressing all the buttons and stuff without getting distracted by anything shooting at you.

In fact I've created a number of such missions for myself with different weapons to try out in each one, eg Mavericks, Sidewinders etc as I find it's the easiest way to learn..:)

getting basic skills for Mission Editor pays dividends, creating whole customized scenarios exactly what you want, will boost DCS experience

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

You can also create kneeboards. It's the "K" key if you're not familiar. [ ] keys cycle through different pages. I don't recall the size and format, sorry. I just copied and then renamed one and remade it to suit my needs. You can put anything from Tacan channels, radio frequencies, mission goals... checklist are extremely useful. Maybe the procedure to implement a JDAM. It is pretty handy for me anyway.

i5-10600KF, 16Gb DDR4, GTX1660 Super, HP Reverb G2, TM Cougar, TM Warthog

Is there any mission/ campaigns that teach the fundamentals of the F-18? I'm talking like the Basic Flight training campaign for the A-10 C, Something that comprehensive. I want to learn the proper way to operate this module, the Youtube videos are great, the training missions are okay, but it feels like patch work. The A-10 C training campaign was not only much more immersive. it was more structured. And being required to pass one section before moving on really makes what you learn sink in.

I loved that Basic Flight Training Campaign for the A-10C. The fact that you had to 'pass' on each mission was a lot of fun.

I'm hoping that Maple Flag will bring out a Hornet equivalent once it is more feature complete.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I loved that Basic Flight Training Campaign for the A-10C. The fact that you had to 'pass' on each mission was a lot of fun.

I'm hoping that Maple Flag will bring out a Hornet equivalent once it is more feature complete.

I'd love that too. That's one of the things that I enjoyed in Jane's USAF, back in these days.

Basic Flight Training Campaign as alluded to imho by the open post is a whole lot different from just creating your mission with the ME, fly away and blow stuff up.

That of the A-10C is a number of levels above. I want to believe the real life training materials had an input in creating that campaign.

Well structured and teaches so much about the aircraft that the manual would not give. You can read manuals and forget applying while in game, with basic campaign like Maple's, sort of teaches how it is properly done while in the cockpit.

There is one created for the M-2000C that is equally very good having flown the Hornet converted version.

A campaign like that of A-10C by maples for the Hornet and Viper will be an instant buy for me.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I'd love that too. That's one of the things that I enjoyed in Jane's USAF, back in these days.
Yeah, I still watch Jane's tutorial videos on youtube.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset