This is gonna be hard to give up

rwbishUP

I'm having a blast with all of these free to use modules, so awesome of ED to let us use these! It's absolutely going to break my heart when the 30 days is up and I have to remove them. I'm making a list of the order in which I want to buy each one in the future, so glad I'm getting to test them out for so long and do that. Thanks for doing this ED.

:thumbup:

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

Maybe they'll give us "Aircraft Forgiveness" on our choice of 1 aircraft.:pilotfly:

LOL..........That would be great, but that would be a big chunk of revenue they would be giving up. I've got my HOTAS mapped for pretty much all of the modules I downloaded, so when I do finally buy them, that's a headache I don't have to worry about. This is the first time I've flown the F-5 and it is a blast. That will prob be my next pchase. :D

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

Yep, this is as awesome a promotion/gift as I've seen from a software developer.

I'm doing a separate DCS install beside my Steam version so I can try more planes. Really want to try the Mig-21 and the I-16.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Yep, this is as awesome a promotion/gift as I've seen from a software developer.

I'm doing a separate DCS install beside my Steam version so I can try more planes. Really want to try the Mig-21 and the I-16.

For future reference the I-16 ground attack instant action mission is cool as it’s set in a lightning storm.

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

LOL..........That would be great, but that would be a big chunk of revenue they would be giving up. I've got my HOTAS mapped for pretty much all of the modules I downloaded, so when I do finally buy them, that's a headache I don't have to worry about. This is the first time I've flown the F-5 and it is a blast. That will prob be my next pchase. :D

I've only downloaded the Gazelle and the Mi -8. I have to say, the Huey is hands down the best, although the Mi -8 is a lot like the Huey only super sized.

2 days free trial is imo too short to fall in love with some modules. 1 Week seems perfect to me. Now I love several modules I didn't thought I would, and will pick up at least 1 (the Spit) and maybe others (Sabre and TigerII are also super, just maybe would benefit from a kind of cockpit rework like Spit, Mustang, BlackShark and A10 received).

I got pleasantly surprised by WWII warbirds and normandy map...

I'd love them in fact, except the p-51 and the spit are not saving my keybinds properly. Reported the bug but all I'm getting is people arguing with me like I don't know how to save my keybinds. F-18 has never reverted keybinds on me, nor any of the other modules.

But yes, if the p-51 would actually properly save/load my keybinds, it'd be quite good with the normandy map and asset pack. I already own the 109 but it doesn't feel like it is accurately modeled to me. Can't be certain of course, but the way it behaves in the vertical makes me think it has poorly scripted events in its flight model.

I'm really frustrated though with the P-51. I love it. It feels way more realistic than IL-2s p-51. But damn I'm not spending anything on it if it won't load my keybinds properly.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

While I do agree with the OP, I must say, Heatblur's point of view also makes a lot of sense. Why not spread out these trial periods over the year. They obviously wouldn't have to be 1 month trials, but two weeks would be nice though.

Of course learning modules is huge part of the DCS fun, but the aircraft and their capabilities really start to flourish when you know the basics, and they become awesome when you "master" them. Which will take time.

We're in this trial period for 1 week now. I've spent most of my spare time trying to learn the M-2000 and it's only just now that I'm starting to feel comfortable in it. I also installed a lot of other modules I don't own yet, but it's pretty much impossible to properly get acquainted to all of them at the same time. (well, maybe if you have a lot of spare time, it is :P). Just doing a few instant action free flights isn't doing justice to these, mostly, fine products.

Doing separate 2 week trials per module, would make more sense to me.

But don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate this gesture from ED and the 3rd parties

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

And here is the respected and appreciated point of view from HB :thumbup:

We hear you guys, and personally I agree, free trials and/or demos are a good thing, and it is a pitty demos have mostly but vanished from the industry. As a gamer/simmer myself, I know they have led me to many purchases. In DCS the problem is feasibility for demos, like how should that be? No Jester in the demo, only aim9s, haha - or: a limited free time with it, most likely - which makes free trials just the much better option of course.

And as I said, we will have free trials again, we have absolutely no issues for you to try our stuff first, it's a senseful request, even if in general not a practice in the industry anymore. We will have them soon again, for both Viggen and Tomcat, and we will give you a prolonged weekend at least, so you have more than 2 days with it. That's a promise.

We will most likely do it after the free month though, so you guys can now concentrate on these modules, and give them your best, knowing that you will not be missing out on Tomcat and Viggen, knowing that after you hopefully had a splendid time this month, you'll be able to try more.

And while we have to manage discounts in order to keep the business sustainable, please know that you matter to us more than any money could. What we do, we do for you. Without you, all of this would not exist. There is no single moment, where we would ever forget that.

Stay safe all in the meantime, hopefully we will get through this corona soon, but I am optimistic: look how much we can achieve, if we all work towards a common goal. Do not dispair, some of what we see reminds us of how much greatness is in all of us, in each and every one of you. We will weather the storm. We will get through it.

Enjoy the free month everyone.

and a ":thumbup:" for ED! Thanks for your support in those difficult times. I will keep on supporting you too.

Edited by Tom Kazansky

I'd like to add my tupenny worth -

Thank you to ED, this is a phenomenal gesture and for me a godsend because a) now the modules are cheap enough for me to afford and b) I can have a chance to see how they run on my ageing machine. It would truly suck for me to buy a module and watch it descend into a slideshow.

Didn't get much time to try them out last night, as I'm one of the lucky ones who aren't furloughed and is still working, but am looking forward to the weekend where I can give them the attention they deserve.

I'm even going to try a couple of modules which I wouldn't have normally thought about purchasing, but now I can.

Thanks again to all.

i5-12400F, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX, MSI RTX4060 8GB, 1TB Corsair Pro NVME.

Finally, I can run DCS!!!

While I do agree with the OP, I must say, Heatblur's point of view also makes a lot of sense. Why not spread out these trial periods over the year. They obviously wouldn't have to be 1 month trials, but two weeks would be nice though.

Of course learning modules is huge part of the DCS fun, but the aircraft and their capabilities really start to flourish when you know the basics, and they become awesome when you "master" them. Which will take time.

See it like that as well. Another option would be to always have free trials on sales. I mean, if you try it, and like it, you'll most probably end up buying it unless you're out of funds.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

My wallet already hates me. It's actually easier to mention what modules I did't buy... Its an addiction I tell you

Intel Core i7 7700, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel 660P PCIe NVMe, Zotac 2070 Super Amp, Oculus Rift S

A-10C, FA-18C, F-14B, FC3, F-5E, F-86, AV8B, M-2000, Combined Arms, AJS37, F-16C, C-101, MiG-15Bis, MiG-19P, MiG-21Bis, L-39, P-51D, Spitfire LFMkIX, Bf-109, Fw-190 Dora, Fw-190 Anton, P-47D, I-16, SA342, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Ka-50