So who likes the new F-86 canopy and increased gun smoke?

Winston60

Opinions please:

I like the new reflections somewhat, but I think vision is generally just too bad now. Anyone agree? or disagree? I hope someone mods this back to a more clear/clean canopy.

How about the dramatic addition of more smoke when firing the guns? Now I can't see what I've just shot at!

Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\shaders\effects\PFXSmoke2.fx

rename or remove this file and you will not have gunsmoke in any of the aircraft anymore ....makes fighting in the f-86 possible

I normally just rename it to .Removed.PFXSmoke2.fx

Edited by Davis0079
  • Like 1

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

Here is a comparison with the real stuff.

I don't expect anyone would want extra smoke.

I wonder why they changed it. I prefer it just as it was.

I've updated this vid with another version, later in this thread.

Edited by Holbeach
Update

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

With this new canopy, I feel like my pilot nearly blind. even with the help of zooming, i spend more than half of the time to find where are my targets. They are almost invisible until I get closer under 500 yards (Zsu for example)

PFXsomke2 is a shared file, used by many effects. So when they tune it for better explosions, flares or whatnot, we get new muzzle smoke whether we want it or not. A bit annoying, but if you delete this file, then you will loose some other smoke effects in game as well. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I've got mixed feelings about new sounds, old ones were very good and a bit easier on ears. Oh well, I'll have to get used to them.

Holbeach, if I was crazy about details, I'd say the "real stuff" shown in You link is 4x20 mm version, but I agree 6 .50s probably look not much different.

Tuco, looks like not much attention is being put in preparing a good changelog nowadays. F-86 is just and example, but look at the Fw-190. Changelog doesn't mention any major fixes for this plane either, while in reality, 1.2.12 brought lots of them: for 3D model, flight model, systems operations etc. It might be cool to be "positively" surprised by things which were not "advertised", but having no fixes mentioned in changelog at all is a bit awkward indeed.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

PFXsomke2 is a shared file, used by many effects. So when they tune it for better explosions, flares or whatnot, we get new muzzle smoke whether we want it or not. A bit annoying, but if you delete this file, then you will loose some other smoke effects in game as well. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I've got mixed feelings about new sounds, old ones were very good and a bit easier on ears. Oh well, I'll have to get used to them.

Holbeach, if I was crazy about details, I'd say the "real stuff" shown in You link is 4x20 mm version, but I agree 6 .50s probably look not much different.

Tuco, looks like not much attention is being put in preparing a good changelog nowadays. F-86 is just and example, but look at the Fw-190. Changelog doesn't mention any major fixes for this plane either, while in reality, 1.2.12 brought lots of them: for 3D model, flight model, systems operations etc. It might be cool to be "positively" surprised by things which were not "advertised", but having no fixes mentioned in changelog at all is a bit awkward indeed.

Yes, you're right about the cannons, I need a different comparison. :helpsmilie:

Anyway, why fix what ain't broken.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

rename or remove this file and you will not have gunsmoke in any of the aircraft anymore ....makes fighting in the f-86 possible

This worked fine, thanks a lot, Davis.

How to fix the ponderously opaque canopy:

Swap the F-86F_Cockpit_glass.dds file from Grizzly's superb cockpit mod with the one found at C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F-86\Cockpit\Resources\Model\Textures\F-86F-35-CPT-TEXTURES.zip and Voila! you can see again.

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

Swap the F-86F_Cockpit_glass.dds file from Grizzly's superb cockpit mod with the one found at C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F-86\Cockpit\Resources\Model\Textures\F-86F-35-CPT-TEXTURES.zip and Voila! you can see again.

Great, thank. Works like charm

I don't like the new smoke effects either. Like the canopy and gauges reflections... the are just overdone.... they should be more subtle... barely seeing not right there in your face.

Let's tone it down!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I tried this but get a completely black cockpit.

I tried this but get a completely black cockpit.

Hi Shep, it should work fine. Any chance you grabbed the wrong file, or put the right file in the wrong spot? It's definitely worth trying again if you haven't already. If you're still having troubles, feel free to message me and I'll be glad to meet you on teamspeak/skype and talk you through it.

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

Hi all;

Just adding some info for those who are new to DCS or didn't know this little tidbit.

It is not advisable to alter any 'zip' files in DCS. The reason is when you alter the zip file and DCS does an update or repair, it will see your altered zip as being different from the one they have and replace it, thus undoing the changes you've made.

Now if you've only changed one zip file, this is no big deal, you just go back and change it again. However if you're like me and many others, and have changed many zip's this becomes a big PITA.

So what to do? A little know thing about DCS is that it will use any 'unzipped' files before using the ones that are contained in a zip file. So all you need to do to change a file in a zip file, is create a folder with the zip file name in the same folder as the zip file you're changing, and place the files you wish to change in there.

In the case at hand it would look like this...

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F-86\Cockpit\Resources\Model\Textures\F-86F-35-CPT-TEXTURES\F-86F_Cockpit_glass.dds

Now whenever DCS does and update or repair, since that new folder is not part of the DCS file structure, it just disregards it and leaves it alone.

And if you're a worry wart, and want added security for your changes, you could make a JGSME file and with one click uninstall your changes before an update, and then just one click after to put them back.

Hope this has been of some help.

In the case at hand it would look like this...

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F-86\Cockpit\Resources\Model\Textures\F-86F-35-CPT-TEXTURES\F-86F_Cockpit_glass.dds

Hope this has been of some help.

This worked!

Thanks for the help guys!

The canopy is ok. Reflections and glaze are realistic.

But the smoke is overdone and I don't like it. I also don't like, no smoke.

Both are unrealistic.

Here are real Sabre 50 cal guns, compared with the DCS guns. There is some smoke as you would expect, but nothing like the DCS version.

Edited by Holbeach
Added 1 line of explanation.

+1 Holbeach. The current smoke effect is completely over the top - not sure why they changed it from the original version which seemed fine to me. There should be some smoke but not nearly as much as we're seeing. Hopefully they tone it down quickly as it's getting a bit unplayable at the moment as a combat machine.

I'm not the biggest fan of the new grime, etc. on the cockpit. It's realistic I'm sure but spotting is already unrealistically difficult in DCS at the moment so I'd say either dial back the grime a bit or I'll just have to use a mod to clear it all.

The canopy and the smoke are overdone making it slighty annoying but the new sounds are cool.

Developers should take note when customers get annoyed....they talk with their wallets.

Hawk....poor FPS optimisation and poor FSX style cockpit....not a cent more until improvement.

Am having a real dislike with the dirty canopy. When the sky is clear, it is tolerable, but with any fog or weather.........it is more than terrible and I would fire my ground crew for not cleaning my canopy! Needs to be removed with the next patch, hopefully will happen.

The gun smoke when there is smoke.......is waaaay too much, but have noticed at times it is not as heavy or none at all. What's up here? Fix the smoke with the next patch as well, again hopefully will happen.

BadBud

The canopy is ok. Reflections and glaze are realistic.

But the smoke is overdone and I don't like it. I also don't like no smoke.

Both are unrealistic.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/27350000503673055/8F16FDB3EA72E4FD8B8471F8397D4222150609BD/

Comparing this with that video, I'd say it's definitely overdone :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]