AI helicopters fly too low in 2.5

nitrodust

So far there have been two missions with other helicopters to follow. The one with the Hinds and the Patrols missions with the Hueys.

In both missions the AI flys too low which results in:

• Death of the AI Pilot (Springfield 1 crashed into a tree or something)
  • The AI flys through Trees (Guess sometimes they don't die by tree?)
  • The AI brakes and accelerates wildly to go up. Usually there is some obstacle like a house or hill and the AI comes from like 100 kts to like 20 trying to clear it and then accelerates really hard again.
  • The AI brakes and accelerates wildly to go down. Sometimes, especially over forests, the AI tries to fly lower only to break like crazy and then flys through trees.

So I think the AI helicopters need to fly up higher so they can actually clear buildings and trees.

Edit:

Every WP in (at least mission 6) has their height set to the ground level, so the AI always tries to fly as low as possible, which kills it etc.

The place where Springfield 1 dies is between wp 5 and 6. There is a hillside with many trees the way passes through and he tries to fly NOE according to his waypoints and always dies .

To fix this I went and added 300 ft of height to every waypoint, that way the AI doesn't do crazy breaking or accelerating trying to clear building or go back to NOE, manages to clear the hill between wp 5 and 6.

So far I have only watched the AI go to about wp 10 , and they fly a lot smoother this way.

Using above ground height in waypoints instead of above sea level however isn't great as the AI goes into a crazy acceleration and breaking cycle trying to adapt to the tiniest bumps in the ground or houses that it overflies.

Edited by nitrodust

How did you edit the altitudes?

I fell for the 2.5 hype and started playing DCS again only to discover that yet again, nothing works. Now I got invested in this campaign and can't progress because Springfield 1 always crashes into the same damn tree.

• 10 months later...

I think better would be if ED made improvements to AI. Like look ahead logic so if a hill, building, tree cluster, etc is coming up, start increasing altitude earlier. This needs improvement for both helicopter and jet AI. I've had AI A-10C winmen flying in trail just fly right into a hill.

This probably should have been looked at with 2.5 implementation. Better than having the campaign creators go through every mission to change thinngs.

Just flew Mission 6 again. Lead AI on the way back to base decided to do the whole trip at 35-40 knots. It was taking so long I ended up getting a fuel 20 minute warning so I broke off from the wing and RTB'd on my own. By doing so I was penalized for points (not a big deal), but for those who want to achieve 100 in each mission need to know, you can't achieve this on this campaign because the AI sucks right now.

I honestly wouldn't recommend this campaign to anyone until ED fixes AI.

oh don't worry there's more lol, it seems to effect the helis only really, I think its due to trying to fly low and terrain avoid, but in the gazelle following an apache I had to keep stopping literally as he was so slow, some missions are very hard work, more than needed due to the A.I, really wished that was on a high to be fixed list

Just flew Mission 6 again. Lead AI on the way back to base decided to do the whole trip at 35-40 knots. It was taking so long I ended up getting a fuel 20 minute warning so I broke off from the wing and RTB'd on my own. By doing so I was penalized for points (not a big deal), but for those who want to achieve 100 in each mission need to know, you can't achieve this on this campaign because the AI sucks right now.

I honestly wouldn't recommend this campaign to anyone until ED fixes AI.

If I recall correctly that's a mission with 4 Hueys which separate in pairs at one point. I believe the 40knots section happens when the two UH-1s that had departed all of a sudden get an order to rejoin. I think to remember seeing them coming back to the formation on the F10 map and that took forever as they were almost back at the base. Once they had rejoined the journey continued normally. But it has been a while since I've played that campaign so I might remember wrong.

If I recall correctly that's a mission with 4 Hueys which separate in pairs at one point. I believe the 40knots section happens when the two UH-1s that had departed all of a sudden get an order to rejoin. I think to remember seeing them coming back to the formation on the F10 map and that took forever as they were almost back at the base. Once they had rejoined the journey continued normally. But it has been a while since I've played that campaign so I might remember wrong.
Ah, yes:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Eeagle%2Eru%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D200219&share_tid=200219&share_fid=74365&share_type=t

Skickat från min D6603 via Tapatalk

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbup: Yuppers, was the exact one. Still means AI needs to be looked at.

• 1 month later...

Mission 3 of UN campaign has Hind's you have to follow set to fly at 200m "MSL" while over ground. this ends up with them being below altitude in some cases with wild maneuvers to recover. and coincidentally makes the mission a HATEFUL experience ( 30 mins of non stop entry and exit in to VRS and finally fall to far behind and get a mission failed). since your AI is yelling at you to fly close formation with a hind that varies between 40 and 100 kts and 5 ft to 100 ft alt every min of flight constantly sending you in to VRS as you attempt to keep formation.

Anyways I guess I can try to enjoy the mission now that I edited it, I hope my edits make it work ( set them all to AGL ).

• 1 month later...
Mission 3 of UN campaign has Hind's you have to follow set to fly at 200m "MSL" while over ground. this ends up with them being below altitude in some cases with wild maneuvers to recover. and coincidentally makes the mission a HATEFUL experience ( 30 mins of non stop entry and exit in to VRS and finally fall to far behind and get a mission failed). since your AI is yelling at you to fly close formation with a hind that varies between 40 and 100 kts and 5 ft to 100 ft alt every min of flight constantly sending you in to VRS as you attempt to keep formation.

Anyways I guess I can try to enjoy the mission now that I edited it, I hope my edits make it work ( set them all to AGL ).

I have been playing this campaign for the first time today and this mission has to be the worst experience I have had in DCS!! It looks like I am going to have to figure out how to edit and change this mission as it is unplayable as it stands! Very frustrating :(

Processor : Intel Core i7 7800X (3.8 - 4.2 GHz) . Motherboard : ASUS TUF X299 . Memory : 16Gb DDR4 1333 . Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super (+100 CC +700 MC) . Install : DCS on 500Gb SSD . Screen : 3440 x 1440 display with GSYNC . Control : TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro Pedals, Naturalpoint Track-IR . Software : VoiceAttack with VAICOM Pro, DCS BIOS