A little advice

Hi all,

you'll have to excuse the silly questions, new to all this.

I have an I5 4460 with a GTX 1050Ti, 16 gig ram and SSD.

Will a Oculus rift CV1 work with this setup?

Or should I buy a Track IR system.

Cant really afford a GTX 1080ti and TBH I have no idea how to know what to buy and if it would work.

Always had laptops so this is my first gaming (?) PC and have no idea about upgrades.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Sorry to say the 1050ti is not enough gpu for the rift . Most would say the 1070 is the minimum , although some few are running 1060's . Nonetheless , i highly reccomend VR , if you are a simmer , as opposed to a gamer . A gpu upgrade for the Rift will only run about $200 net , after selling your 1050 . Less if you buy used...

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Hey Svsmokey,

Thanks for the reply.

Can I just but a 1070 graphics card and plug it in? Or a 1080Ti if I could afford one.

Does it have to be a Nvidia or can I use a MSI if one is available, how cross compatible are components?

Sorry, new to all this and definitely want to go down the full VR route if it snot too expensive.#

The biggest issue with a graphics card upgrade is the power supply . The 1070 requires 1-8 pin connector . Ps wattage for 1070 i advise 600 minimum . 1080ti requires 2-8 pin connectors , 750 watt minimum . No issues with cross-compatibility re brands . Regarding the cpu , i am unable to comment . Mine does as expected at 3.2ghz .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Can I just but a 1070 graphics card and plug it in? Or a 1080Ti if I could afford one.
Depends on how much wattage your PSU can handle right now and also which connector it has. How strong is your PSU?

Does it have to be a Nvidia or can I use a MSI if one is available, how cross compatible are components?

I would not take the original NVidia cards but a MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, and so on. These are usually better.

Your CPU would not be able to feed the 1080ti or any card in that regime. So there is no pain involved saying no to 1080ti, it simply wont make much sense.

Roughly the same applies for VR. Your CPU will be the limit even if you upgrade the GPU to a

Nvidia 1070 or AMD 580.

Track-IR puts minimal additional load on your CPU, so that is much more suited imho.

* reminder: i5 4460 CPU, Base Frequency 3.2GHz, TurboBoost 3.4GHz on 1 core, no overclocking capabilities.

That pretty much voids this CPU for any VR or DCS in general, sorry to say.

If you had a "K" version you could likely oc it to 4.3-4.5GHz and get by, but 3.2GHz is real low.

Sorry to be so dream smashing realistic.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Your CPU would not be able to feed the 1080ti or any card in that regime. So there is no pain involved saying no to 1080ti, it simply wont make much sense.

Roughly the same applies for VR. Your CPU will be the limit even if you upgrade the GPU to a

Nvidia 1070 or AMD 580.

Track-IR puts minimal additional load on your CPU, so that is much more suited imho.

* reminder: i5 4460 CPU, Base Frequency 3.2GHz, TurboBoost 3.4GHz on 1 core, no overclocking capabilities.

That pretty much voids this CPU for any VR or DCS in general, sorry to say.

If you had a "K" version you could likely oc it to 4.3-4.5GHz and get by, but 3.2GHz is real low.

Sorry to be so dream smashing realistic.

Salt in the wound here - 4th gen K series processors, seem hard to find used and are priced pretty high for being 5 generations old. It's an option if you're on a Z series mobo, and less than an entirely new build, but not necessarily an inexpensive option, and it's kind of aged as far as hardware is concerned. Might be problematic when it comes to driver compatibility with future windows updates.

Using msi afterburner you can run the client with one of the free modules and monitor cpu usage per individual core and gpu usage. If gpu is at 100% a gpu upgrade should offer more performance. If cpu is at 100% on any one core, a faster cpu would offer increased performance, and might help you decide whether throwing some money might offer an immediate benefit but I'd say without being able to overclock that CPU, bitmaster is right, there is a limit to how much a more powerful gpu would help you.

Interestingly enough...nvidia launched the GTX 1660Ti today with 6GB gddr6 based on Turing architecture, @ $280 USD touted to perform 1.5x than the GTX 1060.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1797-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-ti/

It seems to be keeping up with a 1070/1070Ti according to benchmarks from the linked article.

It's not the best card but it might be a good start on a budget, and might last you long enough to part out a newer cpu/mobo/ram over time. In some cases keeping up with the $350 RTX 2060.

If you don't smoke around your PC and take good care of it, you can make some of your investment back by selling it used if you decide you want a more powerful gpu in the future.

Frankly this card launch caught me out of the blue, but I haven't been paying as much attention to it lately as I've bought my hardware for the next several years.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I call attention to my cpu , with which i am having a blast in VR at similar clock speeds . It will do very nicely until i can afford an upgrade ( to a stock-clock 7700k and a 2080) in about a year or so . I do think the point regarding the 1080ti and that cpu , however , is valid , and i am open to being schooled if i am incorrect in assuming the OP's cpu will run the Rift .

Edited by Svsmokey

My current settings :

PD 1.3

MSAA 2x

Textures medium

Terrain textures low

Shadows low

View distance low

Civilian traffic low

Features off

Clutter off

Trees 70%

Terrain shadows off

Solid 45 fps , ASW off , low over almost anywhere in the Caucasus solo .

And cpu turbo off .

No mods

GPU at 90%

CPU at 60%

Edited by Svsmokey

I call attention to my cpu , with which i am having a blast in VR at similar clock speeds . It will do very nicely until i can afford an upgrade ( to a stock-clock 7700k and a 2080) in about a year or so . I do think the point regarding the 1080ti and that cpu , however , is valid , and i am open to being schooled if i am incorrect in assuming the OP's cpu will run the Rift .

You did come to mind here Mokey, and almost mentioned your situation as I have in the past. But I got side tracked by the prices of 4th gen processors, and now you got me looking at 7700K's and i'm shocked at the pricetags I'm seeing, but part of that can likely be recouped by selling the old CPU.

Thing is I'm seeing z390 boards down at $114, and $124 (USD) , which are sale prices, but paired with a 9600K are comparible to the prices I'm seeing for just a 4th gen intel CPU. RAM might tip the scale there in the OP's case, but aren't you already using DDR4? Might be worth looking into ram compatibility lists via motherboard manufacturer.

Don't get me wrong, it's not my intention to challenge budget constraints. Just offering food for thought. I agree with you though, his system might be enough to get by with a gpu upgrade while putting some funds aside to later upgrade either his CPU to a K series, or part out what he needs for a more recent chipset should he feel the need.

My instinct is to lean towards more recent hardware even at the cost of a longer wait to save up, looking at pricetags, but totally respect that some might have the need to save that extra money even if the CPU price seems higher than I think it should be and forego additional components.

- OP don't listen to just what we say - you can examine what's happening when you try to run DCS yourself. I like MSI afterburner for the on-screen display to monitor cpu/gpu usage while in game, polling rate can be tuned as well for more accurate readings of what's going on.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

You did come to mind here Mokey, and almost mentioned your situation as I have in the past. But I got side tracked by the prices of 4th gen processors, and now you got me looking at 7700K's and i'm shocked at the pricetags I'm seeing, but part of that can likely be recouped by selling the old CPU.

Thing is I'm seeing z390 boards down at $114, and $124 (USD) , which are sale prices, but paired with a 9600K are comparible to the prices I'm seeing for just a 4th gen intel CPU. RAM might tip the scale there in the OP's case, but aren't you already using DDR4? Might be worth looking into ram compatibility lists via motherboard manufacturer.

Don't get me wrong, it's not my intention to challenge budget constraints. Just offering food for thought. I agree with you though, his system might be enough to get by with a gpu upgrade while putting some funds aside to later upgrade either his CPU to a K series, or part out what he needs for a more recent chipset should he feel the need.

My instinct is to lean towards more recent hardware even at the cost of a longer wait to save up, looking at pricetags, but totally respect that some might have the need to save that extra money even if the CPU price seems higher than I think it should be and forego additional components.

- OP don't listen to just what we say - you can examine what's happening when you try to run DCS yourself. I like MSI afterburner for the on-screen display to monitor cpu/gpu usage while in game, polling rate can be tuned as well for more accurate readings of what's going on.

Thanks for that . I am shocked by current 7700k prices as well ! If i continue with my current plan to keep existing motherboard , i may settle for a 6700k ...we'll see what prices are in 4 months or so . I just ordered a pair of Foxx desk mounts to gain better pit ergonomics and get rid of my hacked- together pit , which will also make the wife happy as it will look a lot better in our living room ! I'll look into motherboards as well , for OC potential , after the GPU upgrade .

Thanks for that . I am shocked by current 7700k prices as well ! If i continue with my current plan to keep existing motherboard , i may settle for a 6700k ...we'll see what prices are in 4 months or so . I just ordered a pair of Foxx desk mounts to gain better pit ergonomics and get rid of my hacked- together pit , which will also make the wife happy as it will look a lot better in our living room ! I'll look into motherboards as well , for OC potential , after the GPU upgrade .

I remember my hacked together pit. You should like those mounts lol.

Spoiler

HI all,

Thanks for the fantastic responses, and I'm not offended by any comments, I only paid £200 for the computer.

A quick recap then assuming I've understood.

My CPU wont run a GPU upgrade, its pointless just upgrading the GPU.

So first move would be to get something that is capable of running a 1080Ti, then upgrade the GPU at a later date.

Question, does it have to be a latest gen I7? Or would a more modern I5 work? Is there a price difference. I'm on a bit of a tight budget, and whilst I'd love to splash out £500 plus on a CPU I just cant afford it at the moment.

Then once I have upgraded my CPU I buy a new graphics card. What's the general opinion here? 1070, 1070Ti or the new 1660Ti, prices seem to be similar, or is it just a waste of money and I should sell one of my children and buy a new 1080Ti (joke just in case somebody works for social services, I wouldn't buy a new 1080). :)

Saying all that, I look at Svsmokey's setup and he is running VR on a i5 3.2 ghz processor and a 1070 GPU, so in theory I could upgrade to a 1070 and on low it would work?

lastly, and again bear with me here, I'm defiantly a newbie to this, can I buy jus the CPU chipset and plug it in? Or is this pointless and I should buy a new board.

Thanks all.

My CPU wont run a GPU upgrade, its pointless just upgrading the GPU.

It can run an upgrade, but not a good upgrade. The platform itself with the CPU is as weak as the GPU. But the platform is more important if you have to decide on one of them at a time.

So first move would be to get something that is capable of running a 1080Ti, then upgrade the GPU at a later date.

Yes.

Question, does it have to be a latest gen I7? Or would a more modern I5 work? Is there a price difference. I'm on a bit of a tight budget, and whilst I'd love to splash out £500 plus on a CPU I just cant afford it at the moment.

Sure there is a price difference. Also do the 500£ include cooling already or you have spare money for it? Depends on what you're aiming for. I5 highclocked is enough for a Rift (8600K/9600K), for a Pimax let's say or other future VR headsets you better get an I7 or above.

Then once I have upgraded my CPU I buy a new graphics card.

The strongest you can get for your budget with the Rift or even Pimax in mind. The price is a good orientation for strength most of the times.

Saying all that, I look at Svsmokey's setup and he is running VR on a i5 3.2 ghz processor and a 1070 GPU, so in theory I could upgrade to a 1070 and on low it would work?

You'd get his results obviously, so yes.

lastly, and again bear with me here, I'm defiantly a newbie to this, can I buy jus the CPU chipset and plug it in? Or is this pointless and I should buy a new board.

The chipset is on the board, getting a new platform means getting a new board with a more modern chipset, modern socket for a new CPU, modern interfaces. For a new (and better) CPU you need a new board with 1151 socket in case of going the Intel route, AM4 socket in case of AMD route.

You could also consider a Ryzen5 CPU and a matching B450 board. Compared to Intel that saves some money.

Later this year you could upgrade the CPU if needed to 7nm Ryzen in same board.

Just an option

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Firstly thaks both for the replies.

OK so I need to keep a look out for a second hand board with a 1151 socket or the Ryzen option which I must say looks tempting.

Is there a perticular manufacturer of motherboard to go for, MSI I assume is a good one, and what needs to be looked for when buying one to fit an i7 chip?

Thanks

Its really hard when you are new to this to make the right decisions, its all a bit of a minefield.

I work on racing yachts and its the same in my industry, we find owners who have had bad advice spending thousadns on thinks that make little or no difference.

OK so I need to keep a look out for a second hand board with a 1151 socket or the Ryzen option which I must say looks tempting.

As a rule of thumb: You'd get an AMD Ryzen system if you're looking for the best bang of the buck. You'd get an Intel system if you're more looking for very high to extreme performance.

Is there a perticular manufacturer of motherboard to go for, MSI I assume is a good one, and what needs to be looked for when buying one to fit an i7 chip?

Since you will not overclock you can take any big or bigger manufacturer for the boards, MSI, Gigabyte, ASRock, ASUS and so on. You need to check if the CPU socket on the board does match with the socket the CPU is made for. For Intel CPUs the boards you'd get would be socket 1151 (LGA 1151), for AMD CPUs it is AM4 right now.

... its all a bit of a minefield.

That's about the best descriptions I've seen, yes.

Honestly, even after 30 years of working on PC"s it just ain't easy and there are those mines everywhere.

Post your picks here and we will make sure it matches together and really is what you were looking for.

People here are always helpful, despite we sometimes argue and such, but if you dont argue and debate you dont polish ypour own wisdom and skills.\

That"s why you often see different opinions, each one perfectly ok in its context. It gets rough when you mix Version A from that guy with version B from the other guy. THAT may not much..lol think you know what I mean.

Happy parts picking ! :)

So just to check, any motherboard with a 1151 socket will accept and work with any processor that has the 1151 pins config.

Just checking, I’ll have a good look around and post some ideas in this forum before I buy anything.

Thanks tai for all the help, I really do appreciate it.

NO---- ABSOLUTELY NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!

Really a big NO. Ask Intel why this is like it is, AMD shows them that Sockets can and actually do support more than 1 class/gen of CPU's. Hence my advice, fu&& Intel and give your money to AMD, vote with the wallet and punish Intel.

1151 has come a LONG way and it is very complicated as to what runs with which chipset, rather than socket. usually a 7th gen chipset ( aka Z270 ) will accept as 6th gen CPU but not a 8th gen ( though it could do so very well, but Intel says NO ).

Same with 8th gen, down yes, up better not. 9th gen too, down yes, up we dont know whats next to come.

Intel rips you off for no reason. You can take a cheap AMD B350 Ryzen board 1st gen and pop in that new, yet to come, 7nm Ryzen 3000 series. Yes, we can cause we want to, says AMD.

Yes, better post before you buy, mind the minefield :doh:

If your board has the right Bios available. My Z370 will not allow 9th gen

If your board has the right Bios available. My Z370 will not allow 9th gen

I'm showing your board has been capable of 9th gen since bios version 1002, with more 9th gen chips added version 1412 =x Not that i'd see the need coming from an 8700K

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler