Amazing ODYSSEY clear vision tweak !

sleepara

If you own an odyssey or the plus version wmr set you must be frustrated with the odyssey hazy blurry display while playing dcs via steamvr. the following tweak was discovered by this amazing dude Gryzor on the steamvr forums.

I will paste the instructions and you will be amazed with the clarity it produces.

* I have tried this method couple of months ago with different SS settings in steamvr and I wasn't impressed so I forgot all about it until this Gryzor dude discovered the sweet spot so all credit goes to him. I am not sure whether it was already published here somewhere so here goes.

* there are extra WMR tweaks that improve overall experience with odyssey and other wmr sets like optimizing the reprojection method via "motionvector" reprojection enable and steamVR windows mixed reality BETA program but I will not post it here as it belongs to another thread and Im pretty sure most of you are pretty much aware of all these methods by now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Improve HMD clarity & sharpness hack Samsung Odyssey

Hi, I found a tweak that improves clarity and pixel density in steam VR a LOT in steamvr apps:

Modify the following files:

A)

\\STEAM\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

and edit the file, changing "renderTargetScale" : 2.0" (instead of 1.0)

B) apply 200% or anything above 150% supesample in steam vr settings under video tab...best is 200%)

With this hack, you will reach the same image quality in SteamVR apps as you have in cliffhouse. Its incredible the difference of quality, now and before is like the night & day. I hope DEVs could implement this in a easier way.

close all applications and preferably restart your pc if you wish

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** edit : wmr for steam has been updated since this original post so rendertarget is 2.0 by default now. I have tried many combinations of steam supersamlpe and dcs PD but for me and my odyssey 1 set the most noticable and clear result was steam SS:208% /dcs PD 1.0/ dcs msaa off

bumping up one of them introduces slight blur. ***

*** edit 2 : motion vector reprojection introduces a very slight blur on image when 45 fps kick in. image clears when returning to ~90 fps ***

Edited by sleepara

I didnt notice anything but I must say I am already using MSAA x2 and SSAA x 1.5, perhaps I could disable one thanks to this new trick now?

No need to use SSAA with VR. That's used for 1080p monitors.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I didnt notice anything but I must say I am already using MSAA x2 and SSAA x 1.5, perhaps I could disable one thanks to this new trick now?

Just an on the side note. I see quite a difference with my 2080Ti but my buddy with a 1080Ti, not as much. Could be the tech, I don't know.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

No need to use SSAA with VR. That's used for 1080p monitors.

I used to think the same, but I started using both sometime in October. It really looked much better for a marginal FPS cost, as other people reported (see https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3663577).

Maybe this is not the case anymore, I haven-t updated DCS since then.

So with this trick, no more AA needed since the 2.0 supersampling corresponds to PD 2.0, am I right?

And yeah using 1080ti, and Kegety's mod.

yes you can disable any form of AA and bump the steamvr supersample to 200% by ticking override.

note that steamvr SS and dcs pixel density do not correlate. 200% SS is not 2.0 PD

I use the steamvr SS and not the ingame PD.

I have a 1080ti and the effect is immediately noticeable. a friend of mine with odyssey hmd wasnt able to spot any difference. I had to try his vr for myself and it worked like a charm but still he couldnt see it.

this tweak tackles the clarity or the sharpness of the image first of all..the supersampled image is just a result of going higher on the steamVR SS slider but its not the primal intention of this tweak.

Edited by sleepara

I used to think the same, but I started using both sometime in October. It really looked much better for a marginal FPS cost, as other people reported (see https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3663577).

Maybe this is not the case anymore, I haven-t updated DCS since then.

SSAA doesn’t work in VR. https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3494405&postcount=19

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Gryzor great job!!! Oh and that guy that bashed you the other day on the forum because he did not have a clue whats up hehe ... thumbs up for sticking through the bash storm!!

sometimes I wonder why such an important tweak would be hidden in the cfg files and not available as an option in the wmr interface or settings...its ridiculous but i guess the devs know what they are doing...I hope its not some intentional order from above

Edited by sleepara

Seems to have Worked for me as well ....Lenovo Explorer ....thanks

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

As soon as I did this I got the dreaded "white blob" over the majority of my screen. In Game PD setting is 1.4 and computer specs are below.

Any ideas for how to fix this?

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

Unfortunately I didn't notice any improvement. I adjusted the config to 2.0, but strangely my SS in the Steam VR settings was already at 200%.

I did some more testing with in-game PD and MSAA and landed right back where I've been, 1.3 and 2X.

Tbh I haven't really noticed any clarity issues to begin with that couldn't be attributed to hardware limitations (display res/Fresnel lense), but it was worth a try. *shrug*

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

As soon as I did this I got the dreaded "white blob" over the majority of my screen. In Game PD setting is 1.4 and computer specs are below.

Any ideas for how to fix this?

I've only ever encountered the white blob when messing with in-game PD. Anything over I think 1.6 and I got the blob. I've never seen it at 1.4 though, but I'd adjust that down first to see if the blob goes away.

Unfortunately I didn't notice any improvement. I adjusted the config to 2.0, but strangely my SS in the Steam VR settings was already at 200%.

I did some more testing with in-game PD and MSAA and landed right back where I've been, 1.3 and 2X.

Tbh I haven't really noticed any clarity issues to begin with that couldn't be attributed to hardware limitations (display res/Fresnel lense), but it was worth a try. *shrug*

If you don't have any sharpness issues forget about this post and live your life to the fullest as you are one of the lucky ones...

Put 1.0 in VR options and disable MSAA. In addition, MSAA make blurrier picture. Thats why in VR the MSAA settings has not sense (supersampling does the same function but with less resources, and without blurring the whole image)

If you don't have any sharpness issues forget about this post and live your life to the fullest as you are one of the lucky ones...

And some people like a little blur! Conceals poor textures!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Put 1.0 in VR options and disable MSAA. In addition, MSAA make blurrier picture. Thats why in VR the MSAA settings has not sense (supersampling does the same function but with less resources, and without blurring the whole image)

I actually still have this mod in place since it literally didn’t make a difference good or bad to my image or performance. And I actually did drop my PD to 1.0 and turn off MSAA. Yeah my fps increased some, but it gave me a jaggie pixelated aliased picture. Turned PD back to 1.3 and MSAA back to 2X and everything was good again.

MSAA has never made my picture blurry, it just removes the jaggies to varying degrees, like it’s supposed to.

Edited by SonofEil

this tweak has to do more with the clarity of the image or the sharpness like in the image attached (not the actual effect in the image but rather an illustration of what you should be looking for)

my settings and relevant specs:

pd ingame 1.0

steam ss 200%

rendertarget 2.0

no ingame aa

steam wmr beta

evga gtx1080ti

odyssey 1 hmd

wmr very-high (beta) in windows control panel

hZUFN9T.jpg

@Gryzor - On your steam community thread you recommend modifying the steam.vrsettings file like so:

"compositor" : {

"renderTargetMultiplier" : 2

},

instead of 1.

I don't have those lines in my steam.vrsettings file. Should I add them or is it not needed?

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

@Gryzor - On your steam community thread you recommend modifying the steam.vrsettings file like so:

"compositor" : {

"renderTargetMultiplier" : 2

},

instead of 1.

I don't have those lines in my steam.vrsettings file. Should I add them or is it not needed?

You´re referring to a incorrect file. The file you have to modify is "default.vrsettings", located in \\Steam\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings

I actually still have this mod in place since it literally didn’t make a difference good or bad to my image or performance. And I actually did drop my PD to 1.0 and turn off MSAA. Yeah my fps increased some, but it gave me a jaggie pixelated aliased picture. Turned PD back to 1.3 and MSAA back to 2X and everything was good again.

MSAA has never made my picture blurry, it just removes the jaggies to varying degrees, like it’s supposed to.

That is what i run, 1.3 with MSAA at 2x. Last night i turned MSAA off and put SSAA to 1.5. Now all of a sudden, all of the displays and text in the cockpit is SUPER clear.

steamVR is at 100% SS and the renderTargetScale is set to 2.0.

give it a shot.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog