DLC Control Question

uhntissbaby111

I've been going through the manual in preparation for release and am mentally creating a control map for my X52. I feel like I have a good idea of what I want to map where, I just have a question on the DLC scroll wheel. I was going to map it to one of the scroll wheels on the throttle, since they have a nice center detent. This is assuming I have a proper understanding of how the scroll wheel works, which I think I do. Would binding it to an axis like this work? Do the spoilers extend/retract based on how much the wheel is scrolled? Or is it more of a toggle, similar to the speed brake switch? Where the longer you hold the switch the more they extend/retract? I hope this makes sense

From the F-14B NATOPS flight manual - "The thumbwheel is spring loaded to a neutral position. Forward rotation of the wheel extends spoilers and aft rotation retracts them proportionally to the degree of thumbwheel rotation."

It sounds to me like you scroll forward on the thumbwheel as much as you want the spoilers to deploy, release to allow the thumbwheel to return to center, and the spoilers stay where you commanded. Then if you wanted to retract spoilers, you'd scroll back on the thumbwheel the same amount you'd initially scrolled forward, and release again.

No, the spoiler displacement equals the thumb wheel displacement. If you release the thumb wheel, the wheel and spoilers will return to the neutral position.

DLC increases approach speed by approx 6 knots.

Interesting. That’s how I initially understood it to work when I read up on DLC, but I thought that having to hold the wheel in place would be a bit of a pain, so perhaps I understood it wrong and it was like Chuck described.

What are your thoughts on the ergonomics of it in the real Tomcat?

No, the spoiler displacement equals the thumb wheel displacement. If you release the thumb wheel, the wheel and spoilers will return to the neutral position.

Then I hope it will be mappable to an axis, even though most of us don't have spring loaded ones.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Sounds like it should work well with a vkb MCG-Pro stick top as you can use the vertical slew button for it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

• 3 weeks later...
Then I hope it will be mappable to an axis, even though most of us don't have spring loaded ones.

The T16000M Hotas has a rudder Axis on Hotas which could work perfect on this. Sadly i never got an answer on the question about axis bindung for DLC. So i think its digital. Full or nothing.

Yeah, but I hope there'll be a digital option as well (e.g. up, down commands and perhaps even reset to center) to be mapped to a hat.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Yeah, but I hope there'll be a digital option as well (e.g. up, down commands and perhaps even reset to center) to be mapped to a hat.

In Spudknocker's control binding video I saw such an option.

There is both an axis option and digital (buttons) options.

The digital buttons wont have a center button as the real DLC wheel needed to be held in position, as you released the wheel the DLC returned to the center position. So while you hold the down or up button the DLC deflects fully in that direction and then returns.

This actually works quite nicely and afaik IRL it was usually quick "bangs" up or down on the wheel, not really any fine-tuning.

So DLC control is default mapped to the CMS button (grey under the right thumb) on the TM WH Stick, correct? I’m only seeing the slats move via that button with no movement of the pop up “spoilers” on top of the wing...

Do I need to re-map something?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

I think spoilers only work with wings on 20 degree.

When i try a landing yesterday, gear down, flaps out, wings on 20deg and press the DLC Control/CMS Button, the spoilers pop up in a static position.

Hmmm....

Pretty sure I was at 20° as I was in the Carrier pattern turning base to final.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com