HTC Vive - still worth getting one?

D0rmicum

Hi all

As I’ve always been thinking of getting into VR I have an opportunity to get a new Vive package (Vive + 2 controller + 2 base stations) for 500 bucks. Seems a reasonable price for me but I‘m not sure if I should go with the Vive or rather spending a little bit more money for a Pmax 5? I know that there is no correct answer to the question but I‘d be happy if you could share your thoughts with me as I‘m a little bit lost. Or any other suggestion instead of Vive or Pimax?

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

Hi all

As I’ve always been thinking of getting into VR I have an opportunity to get a new Vive package (Vive + 2 controller + 2 base stations) for 500 bucks. Seems a reasonable price for me but I‘m not sure if I should go with the Vive or rather spending a little bit more money for a Pmax 5? I know that there is no correct answer to the question but I‘d be happy if you could share your thoughts with me as I‘m a little bit lost. Or any other suggestion instead of Vive or Pimax?

Depends on whether you want it now or later and what games you want to play....Could be a longer wait for the 5K+. If you want it now and play mostly sit down sims I'd go Odyssey+ for better resolution .....

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Hi all

Check here for information on both.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5rMneyhrBKrNuzJQkRy0uw

Lot's of info.

There may be PiMax issues with support from China as indicated by the channel referenced.

Edited by Catseye

Currently using a Rift with my minimal spec machine and it works pretty well. Once my machine gets upgraded I'm considering either the Pimax 5k+ or the Odyssey plus. Right now I think both have issues, but I'm looking at later in the year. Also I'm keeping a close eye on what DCS actually does to improve VR.

The one good thing about the Vive is that they seem to enable people to update it to the latest greatest add ons.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

If you choose the Pimax route you need to add extra for steam/HTC base stations and controllers as they are not together in a package and if you order now there is a lot of uncertainty as to when it will ship. They have published a shipping list last week and of the roughly 4000 or 5000 backers less than half have shipped and that number does not include pre-orders. They have considerably ramped up production but slowed down processing because of increased and more stringent Quality Control (a good delay imho). So the quick way would be Vive or Rift. If you were prepared to spend that amount of money to full setup on Pimax then I would suggest get the Vive pro kit which comes complete with the v2 base stations and controllers. When the Pimax is a bit more steady you can sell the Vive Pro HMD but still have the necessary support gear. And you get the reliability of the vive Pro in the meantime. And you have it tomorrow if a local store has stock. (HTC after sales service is said to be lousy though).

You should be able to run both on a well overclocked RTX 2080 but stock speeds will struggle on both Pimax and Vive pro...not a big deal if your more into targets than pretty scenery.

If cash is a concern then definitely stick with the std Vive. The Occulus rift has been dropped to $350 base price and is a steal for a first foray into VR....it just runs and performs all the time.

I have the Vive Pro and luv it after only a couple of days. Its everything I had hoped the Samsung Odyssey plus would be....and ohhh so sharp image compared to O+!!. Am selling my O+ and my Oculus rift (to help pay for the high price of the HTC). I still am liking the idea of the Pimax but will wait for the dust to settle. Hopes this helps in your decision :) Either way you go you will enjoy.

THIS https://www.roadtovr.com/ces-2019-rift-touch-priced-350/

Oh...if you go with the current Vive package your included 1st gen base stations and controllers will work with the Vive Pro as an upgrade path to consider. I think same for the Pimax...but you might want to research that.

Edited by Macka
Spelling....again Doh!

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

Thank you all foryour input! That‘s very helpfull. Seems it´s not that easy and I‘ll have a deeper look into this topic. VR is mainly for DCS as my main Focus is on flightsim, especially DCS, a little bit X-Plane 11. Overall it seems that the „normal“ Vive is a good compromise and starting point. I have read much about the screen dooreffect and got the impression the new Pimax series could be a good alternative to the vive pro. Having a look at my system spec I have the impression that the Pimax 8k won‘t be working properly in DCS for me.

Will have a deeper look into your alternatives. Thank youvery much again!

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

• 1 month later...

Hi again

Thanks again for all the inputs and finally I was able to get a brand new HTC Vive pro starter kit (yes, the one with the V1 trackers) for 700 bucks which seemed to be a good deal. Next to this I ordered the lens mod as well.

I was a little bit worried about reducing the video quality settings as I really enjoy flying in pretty environment but the immersion of using VR instead of TrackIR and a flat monitor is unbelievable. Was never thinking it would be THAT good! Will never go back!

So thanks again and will bother this part of the forum with dumb newbie Questions soon!