Simple Hog desk setup

Opy

This is not Simpit Pr0n.

This is embarrassing compared to the effort put in by many people, but I don't have space and I need to be able to use this desk for work.

For years, I've been using self-adhesive velcro for removable MFD panels. Always leaves that little black rectangle on the screen where you can't see and you can't read if Emperor Palpatine is telling Luke to 'Die' or if he's just calling Luke a 'D..k'.

So, on a stinking hot Sydney Summer day, I went and sweated like a waterfall in the workshop.

This single contraption holds everything firmly in place and can be slid off when I need to use the screen for other purposes.

All of this it just made from timber offcuts.

Starting with the end result, all painted black to be not noticeable at all;

20181230_DeskSetup.jpg

Unpainted and not yet countersunk a few screws

20181230_Modules01.jpg

Screws have been countersunk here, so just needed paint at this point.

20181230_Modules02.jpg

20181230_Modules03.jpg

Test fit was more snug than I thought it was going to be, which is great. There is no wobble at all.

20181230_Mounted01.jpg

The rear view.

Incidentally, that Vesa mounted stand was made a few years back out of an office paper tray.

20181230_Mounted02.jpg

And finally, my Christmas present, hideously labelled but working well.

This is mounted on a mostly chipboard stand, and held solidly in place with a wood working clamp. So is easily removed too.

20181230_SwitchPanel01.jpg

Go back to the top for the final result :)

It's my birthday in 24.25 hours, and I've asked the family to buy me a PCI-e SSD card. DCS will run from that very soon. Giggity.

Have a great 2019 everybody !

Edited by Opy
Files moved
  • Thanks 1

Something I've been wanting to point out for some time is to do with the Cougar MFDs.

They are fabulous items, but not quite right for the A10. They have rounded inside corners, where the Warthog has square corners. This causes minor issues with setting up your MFDs and trying not to hide the screen corners. The button positioning is also a little out.

I also wanted to see it they could be mounted in a way to make them thinner.

It turns out that both these issues are beyond my abilities to resolve with modifying the Cougar MFDs.

The circuit board cannot have those inner corners shaved down to square.

20181009_MFD001.png

And taking the back panel off, with hopes of mounting the thicker front onto my frames proved a little difficult as components sit proud of the front frame.

20181009_MFD002.jpg

20181009_MFD003.jpg

I could cut recesses into the wooden frame to accommodate these electrical components, but not worth the effort for now.

And this seems a tad overkill:

FINAL%20COTS06%20%20Creative%20Electronic%20Systems%20Fig4_medium.jpg

Edited by Opy