Should I buy this aircraft?

Lenux

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to ask you ( advices) about this aircraft.

Should I buy it or not? Dogfighting only

I have only the Nevada, Caucasus and Normandy maps

How would you compare FA18C, with Su33, M2000C, F5E, for dogfighting?

Does the FA18C has a chance against Su33, for example?

PS : I own almost every modules ( no helicopters)

Thanks in advance, guys, have a great day

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

"Yes" means what?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

That you should buy it. It’s going to challenge you way more than the f15/su27. Specially now when it’s in early access and lacking some of its aa features like amram, iff etc. Also it can land on a carrier, how cool isn’t that.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

You should have bought it when it was $20 cheaper.

Now, if you are not in a hurry buy it when it goes on SALE...

It's still in VERY EARLY ACCESS many many things not working yet.

It's still fun if you want to test beta features every Wednesday.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to ask you ( advices) about this aircraft.

Should I buy it or not? Dogfighting only

I have only the Nevada, Caucasus and Normandy maps

How would you compare FA18C, with Su33, M2000C, F5E, for dogfighting?

Does the FA18C has a chance against Su33, for example?

PS : I own almost every modules ( no helicopters)

Thanks in advance, guys, have a great day

Lenux,

Since you're asking an Internet forum if you should buy something, and everyone on it already owns it, of course you're going to hear everyone saying "yes".

The F/A-18 is a really nice module, but it's very, and I mean *very*, unfinished. The basic starting-and-flying-around stuff is there, but it's missing most of the stuff that makes the real Hornet a useful multirole fighter. The radar is mostly unfinished and doesn't work well. The air-to-ground weapons and systems are mostly nonexistent. I strongly suspect it'll be years before it's even close to done.

So, should you buy it?

If you feel like it :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Okay, thank you very much, i won't buy it

If you're looking to get it as an A2A fighter like the Su-33/F-15C/Mirage, you're going to be disappointed with it in it's current state - there's no IFF, the radar is finicky (it drops lock a lot and it's slow to lock up) and we're missing the radar modes that would provide an equivalent level of situational awareness of what's in front of you and what's friendly/enemy. Once we have IFF and TWS, it should then have the same basic capabilities as those other planes - so if fighting those planes on an equal footing is what's important to you, wait till those features are in before buying.

No.

No IFF, RWR is half-done, no spamram, no pod, no laser guided weapons, no SEAD etc.

It is not combat ready.

It can dogfight(but not the best).

I have only one kill(AIM-9) but that was lucky(radar is almost unusable, drops lock etc.).

Dumb bombs are hard to use and not fun, rockets are quite usable but still hard.

Dumb bombs could be good against buildings but in DCS "we don't that here".

This is more or less an F-16 and the M2K is almost an F-16 what it really needs to be special is the POD and the spamram(and of course the basic stuff to work properly) otherwise pick the Mirage.

I like the non-combat part, A2A refuel, carrier landing etc.

Of course I mean don't buy it yet ;).

You should get it. This is a superb module. It's almost irrelevant to consider buying it based on dog-fighting. The simulation is ground breaking and if you have any interest in that you should be a part of it.

Very well said, that's why I bought it... I never really got into DCS (or other sims) from a fascination with military procedures. For me, when I play DCS World, what I'm really doing is admiring people's work.

Nice job ED :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

It's pretty much a Christen Eagle at the moment, except you can land on a carrier and catapult. It's bugged and lacks all the good stuff. In its current state it's worth not more than 40 bucks. You won't get much for 80 dollars. And it is not going to be on sale this year for sure. It's up to you. For 60 dollars it was a bit of a yes to buying, but at 80 dollars it's a big no.

Am I special?

Okay, thank you very much, i won't buy it
Ouch thats really unfortunate but I respect your decision, its your money. With all that said above about unfinished things while its true, we have ED with pretty fast developing things recently. It released in EA about a week and here we are already have patches and next Wednesday we're gonna have IFF if things go right.

Personally I've found the Hornet really enjoyable in this current states. Its easy to fly (fbw) and combat could be tricky with this WIP radar but actually doable. The Hornet can beat anything in close combaf against any fighters in DCS. Its slow speed king. Few days ago in MP I shot down M2K in close combat with center fuel tank still attached while I was in disadvantge position (he was on my tail). I used slow speed advantage of the Hornet and finally managed to shot him down with sidewinder. It was great fun and its gonna get alot better in future patches.

And don't forget about carrier landing. Its awesome.

Cheers

Edited by Oceandar

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

My 2 cents... If you are interested primarily in A-A, don't get the Hornet - yet. Give it a bit of time to get more radar additions and IFF. (Amraam is not that important, the Sparrow will do fine.)

For now, look at the either the Mirage 2000C, or the F-5. That gives you high fidelity and both AC are excellent in the A-A regime. (Especially the F-5, when flown well will surprise a lot of people.)

In the end what matters is get what you like. If you like the Flankers, get a Flanker. If you like the Mirage, get the Mirage. If you like the F-15... you get the idea. You can always at a later stage get the next module on your list.

(Amraam is not that important, the Sparrow will do fine.)

No.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

If you don't mind a complete lack of IFF, really like CCIP bombing and/or really want to practice carrier landings, you'll love this module. If not, then I'd wait. I have to say, though, getting in the groove and hitting the 3 wire is super rewarding, and worth the $80 if you have it layin' around.

/crosses fingers that we at least get the shrike soon

Coming from FC aircraft like the F15 and MIG29 because there is so much to learn not having all features implemented is not an issue for me. This partial build is more than enough to keep me busysmartass.gif

By the time other features get implemented I hope to be ready for them.

No.

Dumb bombs are hard to use and not fun, rockets are quite usable but still hard.

Dumb bombs could be good against buildings but in DCS "we don't that here".

The dumb bombs are Good fun! and the workhorse for every mud mover ;) by the way the CCIP and Auto mods work like a charm! you can even hit a single vehicle with a bomb! other than the A-10 no other DCS module can do that as accurately... maybe the Viggen...

I say yes if you want to be ahead of the learning curve.

It may not be complete, but you can use that time to familiarize yourself with procedures and some handling (I say some as it's still being tweaked based on feedback).

Once the module goes full force, it may be a little overwhelming to learn everything at once. Like learning the Hog.

But it looks like your comparison is an FC3 Su33, so it's a completely different category of a module.

i7 9700k@5.0 Ghz, 32gb DDR4-3200, Maximus XI Formula, Asus Strix GTX 1080ti, 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Graphite Black, Wheelstandpro Warthog Deluxe V2, TrackIR 5 Pro. ROG Swift PG278Q 2560x1440, 12" Eyoyo LCD 1366x768 for TM Cougar MFDs.

If mp fur balls are your focus then no the Bug is not your best option.

Having said that, most serious simmers are far more interested and appreciative of this fabulous jet's multirole and carrier ops abilities.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Meh, the money is nothing, 80 bucks means you stay home and cook one night instead of going out to eat. Decide to do that instead and your total value will a tasty treat today and one crap tomorrow. Decide to skip that night out and get the F18 and you'll be thrashing about the virtual skies for months, possibly years. Seriously, the money isn't worth talking about for anyone who would describe themselves as a flight sim type. That doesn't mean the module is a buy, I'm saying the money shouldn't be a consideration because flight simulation is about the best value entertainment money can buy.

So should you buy it? Don't know. To be honest detail sims like this work best for those that like to do the works. The type that wants to start cold, take a load of hurt to a target, defend against any A to A threats coming and going, put her back down on the boat having done all that. Possibly a couple hours invested in that one mission. If you were that type of flyer I'd give it an unqualified buy. For someone that only seems interested in dogfighting... I cant really recommend it. The thing can pull lurid angles of attack trying for position and the energy management is a little different than what I'm used to since those lurid slides really dump speed but for all that the computer is doing a lot of the handling and you're left with the grand strategy as your real work load. Not sure a pure dogfighter is going to find the F18 the craft he wants to get into for his evening flight, I suspect a dedicated dogfighter will find his cursor hovering over the F18 for a second but then move over to something WW2 or Korean vintage and that gets selected instead.

I’d you enjoy the M2K in dogfighting then you’ll love the Hornet. It’s in a more polished state than the M2K is right now. And I like the M2K. The missile lock doesn’t drop unless you roll too much. But that’s normal as the radar has to move.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This virtual aircraft is pretty amazing and it's only going to get more amazing as they implement more of its features imo.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

The dumb bombs are Good fun! and the workhorse for every mud mover ;) by the way the CCIP and Auto mods work like a charm! you can even hit a single vehicle with a bomb! other than the A-10 no other DCS module can do that as accurately... maybe the Viggen...

I agree, Baco - dumb bombs work great with F/A-18. I've been having a ball with level low-alt manual delivery with snake-eyes (500 knots at 300 feet - use ~100 mills deflection on manual sight). Really exciting and effective!

Yes radar drops lock easily, but that is realistic - it is the 'oerfect' FC3 radars being too good that are unrealistic. I predict that FC3 planes will not be allowed in some multiplayer servers in future.

Edited by fencible