1.5.8 and 2.2.0 to 2.5 transition Discussion

USSR_Rik

I suggest to uninstall 2.2.0 (in order to free enough space on SSD) and then make fresh installation 2.5 on SSD (it will take some files from 1.5). Terrain(s) should be installed later as usual - from Module Manager.

I thank you for the info as well, I was torn on which way to go as I have to uninstall something to have enough room for 2.5 as well. I will plan on uninstalling 2.2. I will probably uninstall the 1.5 Stable Release as well and just have the 1.5 Open Beta to work from.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait as long as you can until our servers become not as busy ;)

Did you guys think of a pre-release download, to reduce the burden of your servers on the release day, and then on the release day make us download the crucial files that enable the 2.5?

Am I special?

Will it work with forced open beta 1.5?

I forced it from release to OB and would like to know if im elegible to this 1st stage update.

thanks

• ED Team
so....... the installer of the beta and release .....will take also the 2 terrains out of 2.2 ? nevada and normandy? .......or will they have to be redownloaded again fro; scratch ?

sorry bit lost here

:cry:

It will pick up the installed modules from openalpha 2.2 or openbeta 2.5 depending on what's available on your machine.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

@c0ff 2 questions (asked them already on page 4)

1.) Any Infos about steam release of 2.5? (I´m asking for some friends who are new to DCS)

2.) What happens to created Missions which were made on 1.5.8? will they emigrate to 2.5 or do they need to be created again from scratch? (Reference is your statement about Saved Games/DCS folder statement from initial Post)

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Right so just to recap, I only have 1.5.8 RC and 2.2 OA on the same ssd, I was planning on installing 2.5 RC on the same drive. With this set up, if I only want 2.5 RC I will only be able to download 2.5 in a couple of weeks after this test thing they’re doing is finalised?

And I can’t download the 2.5 OB because I don’t have 1.5.8 OB (anymore!)? Unless I reinstall it. Or is it that I can run the 2.5 OB installer and it will make my 1.5.8 RC into the 2.5 OB?

This is making my head swim! Lol

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

@USS_Rik,

If I was you, I would lock this thread and clean up all the questions so far. 6 pages of "what if". By the time you make the installer available, you will most likely be at 30 pages.

My systems:

Windows 10 64 bits

I7-8700k

32.0 GB RAM

500Gb SSD

Asus ROG 2080ti

HP Reverb

Windows 10 64 bits

I7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70Ghz

32.0 GB RAM

500Gb SSD

Nvidia Quadro M4000M

TrackIR 5

• ED Team

The 2.5 will be rolled out in two stages:

Stage 1: Openbeta 1.5 will be updated to OpenBeta 2.5. If OpenAlpha is installed the updater will pick up the installed modules from it and will suggest to remove it after the install. As usual, common files will be used from 2.2: if you selected to remove 2.2, the files will be moved. If you selected to keep 2.2, the files will be copied (actually, hardlinked).

Stage 2: Release 1.5 will be updated to Release 2.5. Before the update the updater will suggest to keep 1.5 as a separate install. If you agree, it will download the special DCS 1.5 installer which will move the files (and download what's needed if any) from your existing 1.5 install to a new location of your choice. After that, if there's OpenAlpha 2.2 is present it will do the same as Stage 1. If no OpenAlpha found, but there's OpenBeta 2.5, the update will pick up the list of modules from OpenBeta 2.5.

At the same time as Stage 2, those who only have OpenAlpha 2.2 installed will be prompted to automatically download and install Release 2.5 which will, as noted earlier, ask to remove 2.2.

This is as detailed as it gets.

Edited by c0ff
clarified
  • Like 1

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

This sounds like having both 1.5openbeta and 2.2openalpha installed is the smoothest/fastest way to get DCS 2.5?

I have enough free space on my SSD for all three clients (unless 2.5 exceeds 200GB ;) )

1.5openbeta to be part of the inital rollout (1.5beta -> 2.5beta patch)

2.2openalpha to reduce download time (files beeing copied between versions)

@USS_Rik,

If I was you, I would lock this thread and clean up all the questions so far. 6 pages of "what if". By the time you make the installer available, you will most likely be at 30 pages.

Lol, +1 to be honest. The information has been distributed and is relatively clear for most straight forward how to questions.. The rest will only really be answered once we get 2.5 anyway. It's not like they're going to quickly develop something now in the remaining few days from a question posted here...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

• ED Team

Just in case, the updater seeks for the installed versions in the registry, the paths are expected to be in:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Eagle Dynamics\\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha"

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Eagle Dynamics\\DCS World OpenBeta"

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Eagle Dynamics\\DCS World"

string value "Path".

• Like 1

And I can’t download the 2.5 OB because I don’t have 1.5.8 OB (anymore!)?

Mind you, you can already convert your 1.5.8 RC into OB now, using instructions from the Skate's guide...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

...or you can indeed wait for the RC to be updated a few weeks later.

2.) What happens to created Missions which were made on 1.5.8? will they emigrate to 2.5 or do they need to be created again from scratch?

We've been told that ED had been converting official missions and campaigns to make them compatible with 2.5, so I guess these will be more or less functional. Obviously, everything else will have to be remade by community.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Just in case, the updater seeks for the installed versions in the registry, the paths are expected to be in:

string value "Path".

Will there be a workaround to this if I have my installs in "non-expected" directories?

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

string value "Path".

If I move my 2.2 install to another disk and update the registry with the new path, will the updater copy the 2.2 files from new location?

If u r that clear please answer a few queries of mine.

1 - At stage 1..... 1.5.8 beta will be updated to 2.5 beta. But my question is why would someone have 1.5.8 beta version when 1.5.8 stable is out there? ....

2 - My assumption was that 2.5 will merge all version and wre will have one version that is 2.5. But if we opt not to un install 1.5.8 and 2.2 then does it mean that we will end up having three different versions?

3 - if 2.2 will be dead after 2.5, then why we will get option to keep 2.2 dead version ?

Just read the original post. All the answers are there.

But since I've got aksed:

Ad 1.) The question is not related. There are people running 1.5.8 OpenBeta and 1.5.8 - why they had picked one or the other version has nothing to do with the release. Still to answer, there are many people running OpenBeta since a long time just to get the latest updates.

Ad 2.) Well if you don't uninstall you'll get as many version as you keep but still it doesnt change anything. After the release you have 2.5 OpenBeta and 2.5 (stable). All other old versions are abandoned and unsupported. ED doesn't have anything to do with what you decide to keep installed on your computer.

If you have 1.5.8 OpenBeta and 2.2 OpenAlpha and run the update agreeing on 2.2 being deleted you'll end up with a single 2.5 OB version.

Ad 3.) And why not? You get an option. It's the same as you can go to NVIDIA web page and download a 5 year old GPU driver and install it. Doesn't mean it's supported. No reason to really split the hair heare. I wouldn't be supprised that if 2.2 would be forcefully deleted a lot of people would complain.

I'm really starting to think that people like to complicate the things way much more than they are.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

We will publish 2.5 installer but maybe day later after update started. I'm not sure, it depends on servers load (we expect a huge traffic).

Do I understand this correctly, that there will be a seperate installer for 2.5 OB for people who don't have 1.5 OB installed and that it will come about a day after the 2.5 OB update has been rolled out?

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just read the original post. All the answers are there.

But since I've got aksed:

Ad 1.) The question is not related. There are people running 1.5.8 OpenBeta and 1.5.8 - why they had picked one or the other version has nothing to do with the release. Still to answer, there are many people running OpenBeta since a long time just to get the latest updates.

Ad 2.) Well if you don't uninstall you'll get as many version as you keep but still it doesnt change anything. After the release you have 2.5 OpenBeta and 2.5 (stable). All other old versions are abandoned and unsupported. ED doesn't have anything to do with what you decide to keep installed on your computer.

If you have 1.5.8 OpenBeta and 2.2 OpenAlpha and run the update agreeing on 2.2 being deleted you'll end up with a single 2.5 OB version.

Ad 3.) And why not? You get an option. It's the same as you can go to NVIDIA web page and download a 5 year old GPU driver and install it. Doesn't mean it's supported. No reason to really split the hair heare. I wouldn't be supprised that if 2.2 would be forcefully deleted a lot of people would complain.

I'm really starting to think that people like to complicate the things way much more than they are.

Great ... thanks for the detailed answer. Actually I did not understand the difference between beta and stable version. Now after reading ur post, to some extent i understand. Beta version always get updates prior as compared to stable version. So thats y some people prefer to keep beta. It means that there will alway be a 2.5 beta also just like 1.5.8 beta.

My understanding of beta was that its an experimental version launched prior to stable version so that if there are any bugs, they can be fixed.

Thanks for clarifying

On a related matter, we plan to move 2.5 to Steam two weeks after the e-Shop Open Beta launch.

Thanks

Thanks for the update Matt.

By the way, your signature CPU is generating a strange noise in my head. Does the 6770k even exist?

My understanding of beta was that its an experimental version launched prior to stable version so that if there are any bugs, they can be fixed.

...and that is correct understanding as well (that's why public Open Beta exists after all). Some people just accept this risk and use it anyway, while others, with enough space on their drives, have both versions installed to cover all options.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.