How to attack targets with AI ships?

Hobbes83

Hello everyone!

I am building a small mission for the Harrier. I want to start from a carrier surrounded by some ships. These ships (I downloaded the Burke mod for that purpose) shall attack some targets on land. But they don't...neither the stock Normandy nor the Burke.

I gave them the task to attack the target units. They are all named and so on and the editor shows the line between my ships and the targets. But they just do not attack.

Am I missing something? Do I need Combined Arms to let ships attack targets on land?

Can someone help please?

Post your mission file I'll check.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I was trying to do this yesterday through the ME and CA, and it was extremely finicky / not working for me as well.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Your mission appears to be on a different map as its not visible in my files. Anyhow, both GG Normandy and DG OHP engage a spot on map and not a target group unless its a sea vessel, at which time both will engage, depending on proximity to target with deck guns or TASM. The TLAM is what is used to attack a spot on the map and not an actual assigned ground target. Tested in Caucasus most recent Beta as of this date.

Also, the weapon selection to --GUIDED or -- MISSILE does not have any effect on engaging said ground targets. I believe only sea targets can be assigned/engaged.

Hope it helps

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

@WildBillKelsoe

The mission is for the Persian Gulf map. But you found the mistake. It appears that they can only attack sea targets. Since this is only for the "effect" at the beginning of the mission I put some enemy ships in there and my ships do start to attack them.

So thank you very much, good to know. Have a good one.

@Hobbes83

Ticonderoga cruisers in DCS can be made to attack ground areas with their tomahawks and cannons.

I don't own the PG map, but several months ago I created a MOOSE demo mission for the Caucasus map, which included a naval strike functionality for clients (via F10 Menu).

Here's the post (mission attached)

Just hop in any blue coalition aircraft, activate the zone test via F10 menu and keep flying north, until you enter the trigger zone.

When you reach the trigger zone, you'll receive a message and new F10 menu items will be available. One of those F10 menu items will allow you to call a fleet of Ticonderoga class cruisers.

You can then order a naval strike against the enemy ground targets located in the airbase ahead.

If you do, the Ticonderoga cruisers will launch a gazillion tomahawks at the enemy groups, obliterating the area :D

The script involved uses :TaskFireAtPoint() to do this, btw, so I'm guessing you could try using the FireAtPoint advanced command in ME, you might get lucky and pull it off without the need for scripting.

Edited by Hardcard

• 4 months later...

Just to add...

Ticonderoga cruisers in DCS can be made to attack ground areas with their tomahawks and cannons.[snip]

The script involved uses :TaskFireAtPoint() to do this, btw, so I'm guessing you could try using the FireAtPoint advanced command in ME, you might get lucky and pull it off without the need for scripting.

Sorry for the thread necro, but I was tinkering with the ME earlier and figured out a couple of things; I actually came here to see if anyone else had the same experience.

So, as @Hardcard mentions, and others have stated in other threads, it is indeed possible to use the Fire At Point command to launch TLAMs at stuff on shore.

However, it seems it's a little fussy how you set it up...

I started by choosing a bunch of targets and then, having marked the first, specifiying weapon type, number of rounds to expend, etc., I used the "clone" command in the advanced editor to, er, clone the attacks, shifting the triangle for each target onto each new object as I went, selecting the new target triangle, hitting clone, and so on. Oh, I am so smart; a ME guru! :smilewink:

Except, no. I'm not. I found that, despite the target triangle being on each separate location in the ME, every single missile went to the very first point.

Hmm...

So, I scrubbed it and started over.

Long story short, the way I got it to work was by using the "clone" command on the first point only, then shifting the target triangle for each of the subsequent strikes; create first Fire At Point mark, configure it, then clone it as many times as required (16 for me as I believe that's a full loadout for a full salvo on the Ticonderoga -- I stand to be corrected), shift each triangle to a desired target and you're golden.

Once again, apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but it came as a bit of a "Eureka!" moment for me and I hope it helps someone else.

Cheers and beers,

R.

• 9 months later...
Sorry for the thread necro, but I was tinkering with the ME earlier and figured out a couple of things; I actually came here to see if anyone else had the same experience.

So, as @Hardcard mentions, and others have stated in other threads, it is indeed possible to use the Fire At Point command to launch TLAMs at stuff on shore.

However, it seems it's a little fussy how you set it up...

I started by choosing a bunch of targets and then, having marked the first, specifiying weapon type, number of rounds to expend, etc., I used the "clone" command in the advanced editor to, er, clone the attacks, shifting the triangle for each target onto each new object as I went, selecting the new target triangle, hitting clone, and so on. Oh, I am so smart; a ME guru! :smilewink:

Except, no. I'm not. I found that, despite the target triangle being on each separate location in the ME, every single missile went to the very first point.

Hmm...

So, I scrubbed it and started over.

Long story short, the way I got it to work was by using the "clone" command on the first point only, then shifting the target triangle for each of the subsequent strikes; create first Fire At Point mark, configure it, then clone it as many times as required (16 for me as I believe that's a full loadout for a full salvo on the Ticonderoga -- I stand to be corrected), shift each triangle to a desired target and you're golden.

Once again, apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but it came as a bit of a "Eureka!" moment for me and I hope it helps someone else.

Cheers and beers,

R.

please explain what you mean by "shifting" the triangle

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

please explain what you mean by "shifting" the triangle

In Advanced Waypoint actions selecting Fire at Point creates a target zone with a small triangle representing the firing target location. Mouse-click on the triangle to move it to the desired target location.