flying aircraft carrier project

Xilon_x

Now almost two decades ago somebody made an add on with fully functioning USS Macon and USS Akron flying carriers for CFS 2. It came with a Sparrowhawk fighter you could land on the airships. Would be cool to see something like it again in a flight sim, but I don't hold my breath.

That first image in the Micro-fighter post is the Rockwell XFV-12 and the next three are the Vought F7U. Neither of them are especially "micro." Both were long gone by the beginning of the 747 AAC program.

Now almost two decades ago somebody made an add on with fully functioning USS Macon and USS Akron flying carriers for CFS 2. It came with a Sparrowhawk fighter you could land on the airships. Would be cool to see something like it again in a flight sim, but I don't hold my breath.

I'd murder for that.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Reminds me of Rowan's Air Power back in the 90s... the whole thing was based on the Akron and Macon airship carriers, in an alternate reality in the 30s.

Later in the early 2000s, Crimson Skies picked that up as well, but was very arcade. Air Power had pretty decent FMs for that time, same quality as Flying Corps.

As a side note, I hope it's tolerated to name these old games as they're in no way competition to DCS. They immediately came to my mind when I just saw the thread title and it's just to remember the good old times icon_redface.gif

The whole idea with jets is just insane, but would sure be a lot of fun have with DCS grade simulation. Though that XF-85 is probably one of the ugliest airframes ever made... but they also tried to do that with the F-84 (FICON and Tom Tom programs), all with the B-36 as a carrier.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

According to various whistle blowers, the flying aircraft carrier from the Avenger-series is remarkably similar to the real thing:

avengers-helicarrier.jpg

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset