High Level bombing - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #11
p1t1o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunning_Fox View Post
not being able to keep the altitude.
You're being way too short to people to just answer your own question like that.

You have an altitude problem.
p1t1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #12
Sarpalaxan

From my knowledge High altitude level Bombing was enabled by Bomb sights. Since the Mig doesn't have a bomb sight installed this could be quite difficult. The easy answer would be to pull a JU 87 and do a vertical dive. After all, the Mig has Air breaks, so it must be a dive bomber. The other solution could be to steal a trick from your WW2 Mud Mover Comrades. Some variants of the IL-2 had lines painted on the hood helping them with bombing. A custom skin and a lot of trial and error would make that possible.

Sarpalaxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #13
Pilot Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunning_Fox View Post
You know, I do know how to bomb with old aircraft - I have been studying them for 30 years now and flying for that much too (sim or otherwise). Thanks for the background, but I was asking a specific question, not "how it was done back in the day".

So let me repeat myself - what I'm asking is if anyone has trained themselves to bomb from that height - please let me know the method. The only one I can think of is going 600 km/h @ 5000 AGL and counting after the target disappears under your nose. FAB-100M falls like a brick. I get usually 100 meter faults due to not being able to keep the altitude.

I'm doing the godawful Museum Relic campagin and I'm dropping my bombs on the Hill 39 before I engage the 25s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1t1o View Post
You're being way too short to people to just answer your own question like that.

You have an altitude problem.
Do you mean altitude or attitude? :-)

There is no method of bombing from 5000m in level flight without a bombsight or modern CCIP/CCRP equipment. If you really manage to constantly get hits within 100m of the target from that altitude in a MiG-15, you are already a god of level-bombing. Think of the difference in milliseconds of pulling the trigger it takes to get a difference of 100m at 600km/h...

Seriously, even with a bombsight 100m off target from 5000m would be considered a good drop. IIRC in WWII USAAF considered "bombs on target" if they hit within a mile of the target, and that was with the excellent Norden bombsight.
Pilot Ike is offline   Reply With Quote