Idea for DIY Collective brake (maybe dangerous)

ben1101

Hello,

I just realized that most toasters use an electromagnet to hold the toast down while it cooks, IN THEORY you could use an electro magnet to hold a DIY collective in a certain position until you press the collective brake and move it like in the RL KA-50.

I have seen electromagnets used to great effect in DIY cyclic trim systems, see HERE

It would be simple to implement by mounting it to a collective stick and having a fixed metal rail adjacent for it to magnetize to.

It would be a simple always on until you press a button situation, with the whole thing being able to be turned off to use the collective with other helicopter types that don't feature a collective brake. You could maybe somehow use the same button as an input (for example using MMJOY and an arduino) thats assigned to the collective brake.

I don't know what voltage these things run at so it could be potentially dangerous if you don't know how to work with wall power!!

Anyway, just an idea that interests me, I think I will start making one.

Ben

i5 4690K, GTX1070, 24GB 1800mhz, HP WMR, Custom FFB helicopter controls.

To refine your idea, use a spring loaded piece of metal for the breaking, and you can achieve the same effect but with the electromagnet OFF by default and ON (working against the spring) when hitting the button. A bit safer and less power consuming in case you forget to turn your design OFF.

This you might very well have thought of already, but I recommend operating the electromagnet through a relay with the same voltage for the controlling terminal as the digital input on whatever controller board you will use.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I should have kept my broken ALDI Toaster, damn :doh:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X