Performance of DCS World 2.5

So you're saying if you run DS you should completely turn MSAA off? Does it just reduce frames or does turning MSAA actually have a negative impact on graphics quality?

Oh, quality is good, as it was in 1.5.x, but you should turn MSAA off if you want to get high fps and no (or reduced) stuters. That's why some of us do it and force FXAA+SMAA via Reshade as a poor-man's alternative instead. The performance on my GTX1070 is butter smooth then, but the drawback is worse image quality with those (shimmering and bluriness).

MSAA x2 already induces stutters, while anything above also murders frames unless you sh..t with money and get a beefy machine as a brute force solution. Not everyone can afford a 4,8GHz+ GHz Intel plus GTX1080Ti, though.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

No, it was posted that "we are just weeks away"... Could mean 2 months sure, but they chose to use the word "weeks" not "months" :)

I literally read something a couple of days ago from ED saying they were going to release 2.5 ‘within 2 months’. This was after Wags saying ‘we are just weeks away’. It was a comment by ED on a FB post so you’ll have to hunt it out

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

You're running a 770, buddy. That's a long ways from top of the line equipment, being five years old. You can run it on low settings with modest framerates. That's about what you should expect with that.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Performance of DCS World 2.5

Oh, quality is good, as it was in 1.5.x, but you should turn MSAA off if you want to get high fps and no (or reduced) stuters. That's why some of us do it and force FXAA+SMAA via Reshade as a poor-man's alternative instead. The performance on my GTX1070 is butter smooth then, but the drawback is worse image quality with those (shimmering and bluriness).

MSAA x2 already induces stutters, while anything above also murders frames unless you sh..t with money and get a beefy machine as a brute force solution. Not everyone can afford a 4,8GHz+ GHz Intel plus GTX1080Ti, though.

Roger, I'm in VR so my old SweetFX + ReShade has been rendering useless for me. Luckily I do have a 1080Ti + 4.7GHz processor, so I can squeak by at 4x MSAA - or at least have been in the past.

Curious, is it only 2x MSAA that induces stutter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I'm already looking for a new VGA. The GTX 1070 8GB is too expensive for me, but I can pay for the GTX 1060 6GB,

I found some tests on YT, the GTX 1060 6GB looks to be nearly equivalent to GTX 980 4GB.

The new Caucasus can be heavier than Nevada and Normandy, I'll wait for DCS 2.5 to see what is the best choice.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

Curious, is it only 2x MSAA that induces stutter?

Nah, it's any setting, starting from this lowest one :D. It depends on map and altitude as well, with Nevada being better and Normandy worse of the two. I fear Caucasus with its abundance of trees will be more like the latter.

In the end I keep using Deferred Shading, because I like it (at some point we probably won't have a choice anyway), but there are no AA methods for it right now, which would yield both excellent quality and smooth performance at the same time. That's a bit of an unfortunate step back from the 1.5.x.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Can you point to the most recent where he said "In less than 2 months from now...". In relation to what FB post?

https://www.facebook.com/eagle.dynamics/posts/10159755117270341?comment_id=10159755241320341&reply_comment_id=10159755334620341

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

I'm already looking for a new VGA. The GTX 1070 8GB is too expensive for me, but I can pay for the GTX 1060 6GB,

I found some tests on YT, the GTX 1060 6GB looks to be nearly equivalent to GTX 980 4GB.

The new Caucasus can be heavier than Nevada and Normandy, I'll wait for DCS 2.5 to see what is the best choice.

Greetings, I had a look at your computer specs and it looks like you have a really great system--almost. Even though it's not brand spanking new, your i5 4670K is certainly a very good CPU... I'm just wondering what clock speed you're running it at.

Reason why, is that if you look at cpubenchmark.com, the older generations of Intel processors have pretty much the same single-thread performance as the newest ones at a given clock speed, and since DCS World only uses two threads, none of the newer, 'fancy' stuff will help.

So, keep your current system and overclock your CPU to 4.0 GHz or higher, and you're good to go--anything from 4.0 or more is perfect.

So, you have just about an ideal CPU, and have plenty of memory--but as others have stated, your system is really hurting in the graphics card department. That said, I just don't recommend a GTX 1060 6GB card for DCS... You're probably better off with a used GTX 980 Ti, which is almost on-par with a GTX 1070, but only has 6GB of video memory. It's still very good, but stay away from the regular GTX 980. It was pretty good when it was released, but it's not up to the task today.

Flight sims in general are *really* hard on video cards, and for DCS World, what you really want is a GTX 1070. If you're trying to stretch money, don't get a 1060, try to find a used 980 Ti at a decent price. The 1060 just doesn't have the GPU power for DCS. You're still better off with an 8GB card, though.

Rough equivalents:

GTX 980 ~= GTX 1060, but 1060 has 6GB version

GTX 980 Ti ~= GTX 1070, but 1070 has 8GB, is slightly faster

GTX 1080 ~= older Titan cards

GTX 1080 Ti really has no equal! (and costs a small fortune)

So, you really want a 1070 :) It really is the least expensive "great" card for DCS. If you're buying something lesser than that, get it used--like a 980 Ti.

• Like 1

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

My PC meets the recommended requirements, it's running with high settings...

In DCS 1.5, I have between 30~60 FPS, but in DCS 2.1 I don't reach good FPS rates.

FWIW that GPU of yours would be the focus of an upgrade, if I had your system.

My specs are not too dissimilar to yours, but I have a 980Ti with 6GB. It runs DCS 2.1 both normandy and nevada with good frames everywhere, and almost all settings at the top possible.

Your CPU, SSD and RAM could all remain as they are I would expect.

Also, you don't need anisotropic filtering at 16x . These sorts of things can be dialed down until they are "acceptable" to your eyes. I find that 99% of the time the "prettiness" of the sim is less important than getting all the tactical information I need.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Ah ok so buried in the comments of that post, Wags (I assume) stated:

"Sometime prior to less than two months from now."

Still better than "Two months from now." :thumbup::pilotfly:

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

I hoped by christmas. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Yeah you're not alone on that one bro :santa:

+1

It was great that Wags spoke clearly on the timetable in his direct letter, but after mentioning this change of plans in a comment on facebook and nowhere else leaves us back where we were before, trying to keep up with who heard what from who when. I hope someone from ED posts an official announcement - almost as much as I hope that comment on facebook was supposed to read "weeks" instead of "months".

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

So, you really want a 1070 It really is the least expensive "great" card for DCS. If you're buying something lesser than that, get it used--like a 980 Ti.

The GTX 1070 looks great, but in Brazil, it's equivalent to pay US$2000,00 for it. My money don't worth anything. The brazilian currency is devaluated against dollar. Brazil is a burocratic, regulation and taxation madness. Tax over tax. Beyond the currency conversion, I pay one VGA for me, one for the government and the reseller profit. Thats why it's a third world country. I can pay for it, but it's a small fortune thats will be obsolete after 5 years, like the GTX 770. I'll think about it.

Edited by SilentSierra

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

pardon for butting in..

but yeah.. I can feel you... pertaining the price of gaming hardware components... ^^

Perhaps for us, we could stay with 1.5.. though without the latest patches.

Whilst we save for the next Hardware if we can...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The GTX 1070 looks great, but in Brazil, it's equivalent to pay US$2000,00 for it. My money don't worth anything. The brazilian currency is devaluated against dollar. Brazil is a burocratic, regulation and taxation madness. Tax over tax. Beyond the currency conversion, I pay one VGA for me, one for the government and the reseller profit. Thats why it's a third world country. I can pay for it, but it's a small fortune thats will be obsolete after 5 years, like the GTX 770. I'll think about it.

Maybe we can buy it for you from our country , then send it marked as gift for you ? Would brazil still take taxes for it ? :book:

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am very sorry for you. My wife is from Brazil and she told me the same, so I totally understand your situation. I really hope there will be a cheap solution to get a modern graphic card. How is it when you buy an used graphic card in ebay and telling the seller that he/she should send it with declaration as a gift?

I know some people in USA, but Brazil has huge budget deficit, they are taxing everything they could, including sendings as gifts.

The flight simulators are very expensive hobby and thats it's my problem, I know.

I'm a frustrated pilot like most people here and I had no problem to put some money to entertain myself with these stuffs.

The ED did a great job creating this level of simulation in DCS 2.5 and I want to run this beauty like the screenshots.

Wow, that sucks :/ My sympathies.

I had a friend in Sweden once, complaining about the high cost of local flight gear (stick and throttle units, specifically). It was like $350 or something for an X52. I looked here and was like "I can get you one for $150... Even after shipping and such, it'll be peanuts in comparison. I'll get one and send it to you!"

That's when I learned about VATS in the EU. Now I know why they were $350. Even better, you have to pay it at pickup, so I didn't know until he's standing in line to get his package and there were all these other fees :)

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Woooow, oh man, that's rough! I feel for you, here in Canada we don't get royally screwed on things like video cards, but we make up for it with other problems :)

I can't believe it's that expensive. Maybe it would be cheaper to go on vacation in the States, buy the desired graphics card at 1/5th of the price, shove it up a choice bodily orifice, and fly back home. Of course, if you get caught in airport security with a poo-covered video card, it's off to the gallows.

If you can, try to get your hands on a used GTX 980 Ti, locally if possible... a regular GTX 980 at the least. It's Brazil, so there must be some guy in a trench coat with dark glasses standing on a downtown street corner willing to sell you one, as long as you don't tell anyone where you got it from :)

Peace

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Does anyone else have the issue where your game renders only half the frames set on your FPS cap in graphics.lua? For instance, when I have maxfps set to 60, I only get around 30-38 in game, and at 180, I get 90, etc.

CPU: i7 6700k OC @ 4.7 ghz

MoBo: ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger Z170

RAM: 32GB DDR4 Ripjaw

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/4TB Western Digital Black HDD

Monitor: Dell 27" S2716DG 1440p 144hz

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle / VKB Sim Fat Black Mamba Mk.III

Unfortunately similar costs here in Turkey:

1$=3,86 Turkish lira

1€=4,56 Turkish lira

Set aside purchasing a Graphic card,most of us cannot purchase a new Dcs product when it just released, there is always 1 year latency :(

wwwway wwwway worse here in Iran

1 USD= 42,000 IRR

But I save some money every month (around 60$) for my expensive hobby