DCS: P-47D-30 Discussion

Barrett_g

The fin fillet

Was also fitted to P-47D-30's.....

It is one of the fixes for some of the stability and control issues!

:smilewink:

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

1. No, I do not have a pen. 2. Indicating 250

It is one of the fixes for some of the stability and control issues!

:smilewink:

From the P-47D-27-RE production lots onward (that would include the D-30s), a dorsal fin was fitted just ahead of the rudder.

The fin fillet was retro fitted to earlier Ds.

From the P-47D-27-RE production lots onward (that would include the D-30s), a dorsal fin was fitted just ahead of the rudder.

The fin fillet was retro fitted to earlier Ds.

In fact, according to Bodie's Republic's P-47 Thunderbolt, and other sources, the first P-47s factory fitted with the dorsal fillets were the -40-RAs.

the fin fillet

Photos show there was little consistency as to which of the pre- -40-RA 'bubble-top' P-47s were retro-fitted with dorsal fillets; the same thing has been noted about P-47Ms ( http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2313379&postcount=226 )

P-47D-30-RA without dorsal fillet:

D-30-RA44-32760_zps4759fb8a.jpg

D-30-RA with:

D-30-RA44-32794_zpsc4f5c805.jpg

It'll be interesting to see whether Ed's D-30 has the fillet.

Edited by Friedrich-4/B
Add more info/images

Well supplied units in Europe typically got fillets for their P-47s. It was a slow process and often front line units went without the fillet due to operational demand.

If ED does not include the fillet then they will have to program in the characteristics caused by the low pressure area behind the canopy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Photos show there was little consistency as to which of the pre- -40-RA 'bubble-top' P-47s were retro-fitted with dorsal fillets;

No there does not seem to be any consistency to it. It was probably one of those things they fixed on an inspection cycle as supplies were available.

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

• 2 weeks later...
Jug confirmed to be the next WW2 fighter released. Woah, I did not expect that! :D

Yep. That was all a trap. They made us think Spity is next and then boom.:megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

DCS: P-47D Thunderbolt

The next World War II aircraft for DCS World will be the Thunderbolt. As you can see by the images in this newsletter, the cockpit is quite far along and overall project status is moving along nicely. Once the Bf 109 K-4 is out of beta (good progress as you can see in the 1.2.15 preliminary change log), progress on this module will further accelerate.

Sweet sweet whispers in my ear! Thank you for delaying the Spitfire and making this one next. I've only got one more free module and I really didn't want to waste it on the Spit.

"Waste" it on a Spit? Heresy!!!

tumblr_lgpfc1DfU01qeweuno1_500.jpg

In all seriousness I'm okay with it. The P-47 is a really cool bird too.

+1

The P-47D deserves the ED treatment, just as much as a Spitfire or Me 262 - it doesn't matter in what sequence they emerge.

Anyway, there's more room for nose art on the P-47...8) (Disclaimer: not all P-47D-30s; not all European based)

Slick%20Chick_zpspidp14qw.jpg

w-395-p47-sweet-n-hot1_zpsz7be06o2.jpg

trank-bug_zpsxrwvgqgn.jpg

15th%20FG_zpsgftived4.jpg

Yep. That was all a trap. They made us think Spity is next and then boom.:megalol:

Was that BOOM or THUD? (quick exit...)

Edited by Friedrich-4/B

I'm please to high Heaven with this. Funds were allocated, and soon I get to spend them.

Going to be good to see a second Allied aircraft up there, and the bomb cart is going to be fun to fly.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

I like the Jug just as much as the Spity... but Spitfire in my poll had the biggest ammount fans on DCS forums according to my poll... so I thought it would bring more people fly quicker... although P-47 is second on that list :P

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=132682&page=9

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I can't speculate on how this timing and order happened, but there must be a good business reason for it.

I'm just happy to soon be in the business of flying that big fat lovely lady.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

I'm just happy to soon be in the business of flying that big fat lovely lady.

I can't wait.....ohh the strafing runs with 8 .50 calibers spitting hot lead!!

I'm sure this has been discussed, but can we expect the p-47 we get to be more, less, or similarly competitive to the German planes compared to our current p-51? And yes I know pilot skill, more important blah blah blah... but I'm asking in a technical manner. I'm kinda lazy to look through all the posts. :D

At very high altitudes, P-47 is the fastest of them all, but only and only at very hight altitudes. Also, pretty much no other piston fighter will catch P-47 in a dive, at least not without being unable to pull out of it or even getting disentegrated in process. It is famous of being rock solid and land peacefully with hundreds of holes on it. It's also well known for a good roll rate. 8 x .50 cals are a pretty formidable ant aircraft armament too.

On the flipside, it's climb rate it not really good at all, and it really isn't the most stellar turner either. Altitudes where DCS dogfights tend to happen, especially on multiplayer, P-47 will most likely have a though time against other warbirds.

Although, there is another role P-47 can excel, it is one of the best ground attack aircraft of the war. In my opinion, even better than many dedicated ground attack aircraft like IL-2. It is though, stable, has a formidable gun armament, and can carry a respectable rocket / bomb payload.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Thanks for the response. We are getting the paddle propeller version right? So that should help somewhat with climbing. It will be really fun for ground attack. I guess it is a hardcore energy fighter.

Edited by Ultra

At very high altitudes, P-47 is the fastest of them all, but only and only at very hight altitudes. Also, pretty much no other piston fighter will catch P-47 in a dive, at least not without being unable to pull out of it or even getting disentegrated in process. It is famous of being rock solid and land peacefully with hundreds of holes on it. It's also well known for a good roll rate. 8 x .50 cals are a pretty formidable ant aircraft armament too.

On the flipside, it's climb rate it not really good at all, and it really isn't the most stellar turner either. Altitudes where DCS dogfights tend to happen, especially on multiplayer, P-47 will most likely have a though time against other warbirds.

Although, there is another role P-47 can excel, it is one of the best ground attack aircraft of the war. In my opinion, even better than many dedicated ground attack aircraft like IL-2. It is though, stable, has a formidable gun armament, and can carry a respectable rocket / bomb payload.

The P-47D-30 might not perform as badly at lower altitudes; attached is a report on a comparison test of a P-47D-4 against what looks to be an Fw 190F-8. The test was conducted in Italy in December 1943, covering SL to 10,000 ft.

No doubt the accuracy and specifics of such a test could be argued over ad-nauseum (hopefully not), but it has been posted mainly because it makes interesting reading.

The P-47D-30 might not perform as badly at lower altitudes; attached is a report on a comparison test of a P-47D-4 against what looks to be an Fw 190F-8. The test was conducted in Italy in December 1943, covering SL to 10,000 ft.

No doubt the accuracy and specifics of such a test could be argued over ad-nauseum (hopefully not), but it has been posted mainly because it makes interesting reading.

In that testing it sounded like the FW190 was quicker off the line but the P47 would end up winning the race. It also sounded like its climb rate and higher speed turn time wasn't that bad either. I'm sure this bird will be quite the handful even with its competition when used correctly.

I like the last picture in your other post ... really gives you an idea of how huge this plane really was.