Which 38 Is Which?

Magic Zach

Quite simply, I look up pictures of a P-38L, but I can't help but notice that the air intakes look different. Some are just gaped, others divided into thirds, and one intake was just two separate holes, though I believe that was a racing 38. Which is which? What variant has what intake, or any other visible differences?

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There were only two different intake setups across all of the mass-produced U.S. P-38 models. Prior to the J, they had the early setup. The J and L had the later setup. Anything else would be either a prototype or a post-war modification.

Not sure about the British "castrated" Lightning. They gutted the supercharger, so that might've had a different intake.

^ British ones flew with C-series Allisons, so they did have lower prop line and different cowlings, but even these had almost the same, "early style" intakes like US ones.

Anyway, Echo is right - 3 holes is a standard setup for anything post H version. Anything else (Red Bull's Lightning being the most prominent exception I suppose) is a modification.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks guys. I would have put pictures up, but it's weird with Tapatalk. I just searched "P-38L" and went to images. Guess this is similar to when I search "P-51D Mustang" and a Ford Mustang comes up!

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]