Radiator flaps question

Lixma 06

My procedure to get them back to auto:

-throttle back to low power setting (2000 - 2200 rpm)

-close radiator flaps completely -> now it's automatic again

Works all the time for me, I don't know if this is the right real life procedure...

Some pilots never touched the radiator control, others used manual control to slow down in combat situations...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | 32GB DDR4 RAM | NVidia RTX4080 | MSI B550 TOMAHAWK | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Win 10 Pro 64bit | Track IR4 Pro | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudder Pedals

• 1 year later...

Sorry for digging up that old thread but came along this.

Bought the Dora during the sale and did some short flights. Takeoff with manually fully opened cowl flaps, as stated in the manual.

Levelled of at around 500m accellerated to around 400 to 500 km/h, reduced throttle to around 2000rpm. Coolant temp went down to around 80°C, oil was between the two lines. I fully closed the radiator, but than, temps started to rise, there was no automatic cooling control and shortly after the engine failed and the mission debrief said engine #1 overheat.

Does the temp control only works manually or what's the case?

I'm on 2.5.6 stable.

Will try again and can provide a track.

edit: Tried again and now I think I got it right. Watched the behaviour of the radiator handle (not that easy as it's not positioned for quick glancing at it).

The key is not to move the radiator wheel to it's extreme stops. Seems to be some kind of locking mechanism, forcing the flaps to open or close at the extremes. Setting the wheel in a center position and the automatic takes the control again.

So forcing it open for takeoff and than after power reduction you can put it back a little and the automatic works again, keeping coolant at a max of 110°C with sufficient airflow.

Edited by gulredrel
checked again