DCS: Persian Gulf?

Donut

My guess is this enables future map expansion without having to do massive renaming efforts later on.

indeed, was my thought too.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

My guess is this enables future map expansion without having to do massive renaming efforts later on.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

If they decide to make a separate paid map that extends west, then they will have a problem naming the new product to distinguish from the map already available ("DCS: Persian Gulf West"? "DCS: Persian Gulf Proper"?).

If they make a (free) expansion, then they will still have to say something like: "And now we have added Persian Gulf area to DCS: Persian Gulf map". Renaming would be much more appropriate then as it would signify the change in the product, free or not.

Ah well, maybe they just wanted to avoid recent arguments about putting non-combat planes in the Digital Combat Simulator and this time decided to use the broadest name available for the new product :)

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

This would be the same as calling Nevada "DCS:USA"

It's a misleading name. It sounds much more impressive to reviewers and prospective buyers though.

i7-4790k @ 4.4GHZ, 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws DDR-2133 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3, Crucial M500 SSD, VKB MCG, TWCS Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5

It's just Marketing. The Gulf War was literally named for the Persian Gulf. It's instant name-recognition that is more appealing to a potential customer than a Strait no one has ever heard of.

Hopefully this map will be expanded at a later date to include the entire Gulf area. We really need bigger maps in DCS if we want to expand the player-base to include more people from P3D/XP11. It's literally the biggest concern and adjustment for those coming from commercial-focused sims. We'll never have the whole world but we really need more space to operate; especially if we ever want to include full-fidelity tankers/AWACS/Transport/Bombers.

I too really hope that this opens the way for future westward expansion, and that that is the reason for the name change.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

....... It's instant name-recognition that is more appealing to a potential customer than a Strait no one has ever heard of.....

Speak for yourself, I did basic geography. I do agree with the sentiment however. Unless there are plans to expand the map to include the whole area of the Persian Gulf (the scope of which is debatable, but definitely bigger than the map we have seen) then it is a little less descriptive of the product being sold than I would desire.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

Speak for yourself, I did basic geography. I do agree with the sentiment however. Unless there are plans to expand the map to include the whole area of the Persian Gulf (the scope of which is debatable, but definitely bigger than the map we have seen) then it is a little less descriptive of the product being sold than I would desire.

We all did out of the USA, don't blame them. Still it's true Persian Gulf is a way more appealing name which can lead to mistakes, we know how it is since development start though.

I hope the new map will include the entire shore line of the Persian Gulf, without any detail, just as the Caucasus map includes the entire shore line of the Black Sea.

That would be definitely really nice, but I don't think they'll go so far with the cache zone.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

We all did out of the USA, don't blame them.

S!

oh good grief....

back on topic - I think the new name is more fitting, and hopefully more expansive. :thumbup:

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

One map that cover all of the Persian Gulf would be amazing although I won't be holding my breath for that to happen. I mean to even reach Iraq from the Strait of Hormuz you'd need to cover so much land it'd be big enough to be it's own terrain module (that's assuming that you'd want fully detailed space between the SoH and Iraq/Kuwait of course).

I've always wanted to blow up Iraqi tanks in my country, please ED :D, especially with the Kuwaiti F/A-18C now (even though we used A-4s during the war).

If not Iraq, at least Kuwait, you'll have basically a full ~~Arabian~~ Gulf, and at least a site of a modern war for the first time!

I can only imagine the scenarios! Iraqi Mi-8s, Mi-24s, MiG-21s, and Scud launchers and giant air defense networks all over.

Belsimtek's F-4s and EDs Hornets do the SEAD/DEAD work. F-14s fly BARCAP over the Gulf. Hornets can also fly CAP/Strike (vice-versa) missions, all from an aircraft carrier. Then F-15s, A-10s, and F-4s fly from bases in Qatar/KSA. After which I liberate my country virtually :D

Ok time to stop my drooling and wishful thinking lol.

Edited by WarrenSkip
  • Like 1

• ED Team

The change in name is for two primary reasons:

1- Gives us flexabilty to expand the map later

2- A much more recognizable name of the region

When the map is made available for sale, it will be abundantly clear of the exact area covered by the map.

Thanks

Edited by NineLine