HUD SYMBOLOGY on Belgium MLU Version

Gvanlang

Hi guys,

After watching those videos, I have some questions/remarks. In fact, I'm used to the Belgian MLU version of the Jet (F16A/F16B), but I supposed that for most of the symbologies, they should be the same...

1) When you see Wags taxiing and turning using the NWS, the FPM shouldn't move at all.. (Left to right and right to left)?!

2) The RALT : when you're on the ground in the Belgian (MLU) model, you'll never get ,000' in the RALT ... but ,010'... Because you're radar is not directly on the ground...

Maybe I already go too much into details as it is only a WIP module....

Bill :joystick:

Intel Core i7 6700 3.40 GHz / Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming / 16 Go DDR4 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / 2x SSD Samsung de 250GB / HDD Toshiba 1To

Oculus VR Rift + HOTAS WARTHOG + SAITEK RUDDER PEDAL + TRACKir V5

"Fly high or stay home.. But avoid contrails"

F-16 Flight Simulator Instructor:joystick:

It's very good that you pay attention to the smallest details. Everyone will want to fly the F-16 model as close to reality as possible ;)

i7-8700K, Z370, 32GB DDR4-3000MHz, RTX 2080 Ti, FSSB R3L, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, Windows 10 Pro, HP Reverb

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-15C, AV-8B, M2000C, F-5E, A-10C, AJS-37, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-21bis, MiG-29, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 K-4, SA342, UH-1H

Hi guys,

After watching those videos, I have some questions/remarks. In fact, I'm used to the Belgian MLU version of the Jet (F16A/F16B), but I supposed that for most of the symbologies, they should be the same...

1) When you see Wags taxiing and turning using the NWS, the FPM shouldn't move at all.. (Left to right and right to left)?!

2) The RALT : when you're on the ground in the Belgian (MLU) model, you'll never get ,000' in the RALT ... but ,010'... Because you're radar is not directly on the ground...

Can you find the same info for a 2007 USAF F-16C after CCIP? If not, this will be great when they build a Belgian F-16A

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Can you find the same info for a 2007 USAF F-16C after CCIP? If not, this will be great when they build a Belgian F-16A

Hahahaha, no need to be such a sourpuss. The radar altimeter isn't mounted on the bottom of the tire in the CCIP Block 50 so it's not absurd to assume that it would be displayed in the same way as it would in the Belgian MLU's (especially considering the MLU tape 6.1 is near identical to the Block 50 CCIP). If it shows out to be something that was overlooked by ED, then it's great that it gets brought up. If not, then don't change it. Easy as that.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

(especially considering the MLU tape 6.1 is near identical to the Block 50 CCIP).

CCIP upgrade is not directly related to tape or Operational Flight Program (OFP)

USAF CCIP is Time Compliance Technical Order (TCTO) 1F-16–2221

And it can have OFP M3.4+ (TCTO 1F-16-2432), M4.2+ (TCTO 1F-16-2490), M4.3+ (TCTO 1F-16-2514) or M5.2+ (TCTO 1F-16-2570).

Some CCIP manuals have all 4 OFP at the same time, like the June 2010 -34 with S5 and S6 supplements. So during that time period in the USAF, it will depend what TCTO where completed on a specific aircraft.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Hi guys,

Based on irl experience or bms?

Because the dutch MLU's certainly do show 000 on the ralt.

Cant comment on the fpm since I havent seen the video.

I hate videos, since they lack so much information. What information they lack? For context lets talk about that first.

This video does not show the version of the F-16 or if it is an F-16 or not. If it is an F-16, we have no way of knowing what software version it has. We do not know what year was it recorded. The video was uploaded on 2015, but it could have been recorded in the late 1990 for all we know.

Additionally, this does not show the HUD as the pilot sees it. Remember the AVTR or the DVR camera sits in front of the HUD and the symbology is super impose in the recording itself. So unless your are looking at video from a early block 5,10 or 15 (back then the camera looked through the HUD) your are not looking at the HUD.

All that said for context, you can see the Radar altimeter here is at zero.

Is that normal? I do not know. Does it relate to DCS F-16? I have not idea. Are there videos showing different information? Of course. Over 4k F-16, over 20 countries, numerous versions and subversions, constantly being modified and upgraded at different rates and times

The point is: Just because in a specific version of the F-16, at a specific time, from a specific air force, the system works a certain way does not mean it works the same on others.

In the end, If ED models it this way or another, it does not mean is wrong.

To whom it may concern,

Don't know the F-16, but on most planes the RA shows either 0 or even a negative value on ground since it's usually calibrated to show zero at mainwheel touchdown at the correct approach attitude.

E.g. in the 767-300 the RA shows -6ft on ground.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Wouldn't DCS Viper be as accurate as possible to create realistic representation of the jet as opposed to 100% replica? Does it really matter in light of other systems that won't be ever 100% as in real life due to various reasons.

I get the exitement though.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Intel Core i7 6700 3.40 GHz / Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming / 16 Go DDR4 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / 2x SSD Samsung de 250GB / HDD Toshiba 1To

I’m speaking about my own experience as far as I’m a Belgian F-16 Flight Simulator Instructor.. ������

Are you talking about the real F-16 aircraft or the real F-16 simulator? Watched more than 10 HUD videos now and in roughly 75% the ralt shows 0 and in 25% the ralt constantly fluctuates between 0 and 10 during taxiing.

Seems to depend on ralt calibration and/or strut inflation, loadout, CG etc...

Indeed... on my case, speaking about the real sim sold by LM/Thales Sims.. i’ll cross check with our pilots

... 7:26sec , when the jet is ground stabalized, you can see that it shows ,010’ ... but, when the nose strut gets compressed, it goes to zero... that was the point of my second question :-)
Edited by Gvanlang

when the jet is ground stabalized, you can see that it shows ,010’ ... but, when the nose strud gets compressed, it goes to zero... that was the point of my second question :-)

And since the strut doesn't compress by 10ft it's obvious that the ralt is apparently calibrated to ~0ft ;)

Btw, congratulations to your Airpower 19 display pilot!

The Swiss F/A-18 display was surprisingly boring and the Greek F-16 display was already noticable better, but the Belgian F-16 display was very impressive! But that's always the case with the Belgian F-16 pilots :)

Edited by bbrz

And since the strut doesn't compress by 10ft it's obvious that the ralt is apparently calibrated to ~0ft ;)

Btw, congratulations to your Airpower 19 display pilot!

The Swiss F/A-18 display was surprisingly boring and the Greek F-16 display was already noticable better, but the Belgian F-16 display was very impressive! But that's always the case with the Belgian F-16 pilots :)

You may search where these antennas are installed. The height of them may be just around 5 ft above ground and make the RDR ALT shown as 10ft. If they bounced and reached 4.9 ft, the reading may show as 0.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]