DCS WW2 and VR

Hi Folks,

Is anyone regularly successfully flying and enjoying WW2 aircraft and maps in VR on multiplayer competitive combat servers, like Burning Skies for example?

I am a WW2 aircraft fan and have had DCS on the back burner for a long time waiting for improvements and some developments advertised as in the pipe line.

I have recently invested in VR and am now very much enjoying my Pimax 5k+ in conjunction with WW2 aircraft flight simulations.

I fired up DCS to try it out in VR and very much enjoyed a short pleasure flight in the Spitfire (the cockpit is great), but find MP combat servers are not really viable for competitive WW2 aircraft flying due to air-to-air contact spotting and other issues.

Is anyone finding WW2 flying a viable option in VR on MP with DCS?

If so, do you have any hints and tips for a pleasurable and successful experience?

I have the DCS beta and standard release version on my PC and keep them up-to-date, but only dip in now and then with the beta version to monitor development progress. I would like to fly DCS WW2 more, but find that I am invariably waiting patiently for improvements, which I have been doing since I first purchased it.

Thank you to anyone kind enough to reply.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Come give the Warbirds of Prey server a try. WoP is a mission oriented WWII server using the Normandy map with WWII assets. We use a very subtle dot label that shows up at longer ranges than most others, and yet turn it off around the 1 mile mark so it can not be used in dogfight range.

We use a longer range because we found out some monitor setups can actually see out to that range WITHOUT labels on, so we are doing this to equalize the playing field.

What it will not do though is help with aircraft identification which I understand is a problem in VR. We have had several VR players on though and most seem to enjoy their experience from the feedback we have gotten.

Hope you give us a try and look for me on the WoP discord if able, I would love to hear your feedback.

Come give the Warbirds of Prey server a try. WoP is a mission oriented WWII server using the Normandy map with WWII assets. We use a very subtle dot label that shows up at longer ranges than most others, and yet turn it off around the 1 mile mark so it can not be used in dogfight range.

We use a longer range because we found out some monitor setups can actually see out to that range WITHOUT labels on, so we are doing this to equalize the playing field.

What it will not do though is help with aircraft identification which I understand is a problem in VR. We have had several VR players on though and most seem to enjoy their experience from the feedback we have gotten.

Hope you give us a try and look for me on the WoP discord if able, I would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks very much Shahdoh,

Sounds like an interesting work around for now with the dot label (I saw dot labels when I used flat screen, but they would show up through the airframe which was a bit off-putting). I find I can manage the aircraft ID situation in VR as I have trained myself to be good at it, but can't fight what can't be seen in the first place.

Afraid I don't do discord for reasons of my own, but I do use TS3.

It would be nice to get some impressions from folks who fly VR.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah it's quite challenging (not a real problem) to identify other planes.

E.g. with the FW190 i don't have the luxury to go into turnfights, so when approaching a gray dot at medium to high speeds my brain has a quarter of a second to label it friendly or enemy until I have to pull the trigger or if friendly to salute and turn away :smilewink:

But the rest of the VR WWII experience is way better than on a screen.

Favorite module: F16C 💥
Currently learning F15E 👨‍🏫
13900k - RTX 4090 - 64GB DDR5 - Varjo Aero - TM Warthog Hotas - Pedals