AWLS with Tarawa?

Nealius

In recent updates I've noticed the ability to set an AWLS channel on the Tarawa, but I'm having some issues with the AWLS functionality. I understand it's WIP, but I don't see any notes mentioning precisely what is/is not functioning on the AWLS.

In Chuck's guide, channels 1-12 are apparently assigned to land bases. However, my AWLS will not let me input any channel number higher than 11. This means the Tarawa AWLS would have to be 1-11, but those conflict with channels already given to airbases.

Has anyone gotten AWLS to work with the Tarawa?

Has anyone gotten AWLS to work with the Tarawa?

TL;DR: No, in DCS 2.5.2.20601, the AV-8B's AWLS is compatible with civilian ILS, not ICLS. To perform a Case 3 recovery you'll need to activate a TACAN on the LHA-1 and fly a TACAN approach, switching to the OLS (ball) at about 2 nm.

attachment.php?attachmentid=192168&stc=1&d=1534437339

Detail:

Razbam's AV-8B was developed before ED introduced ICLS for the Hornet/carriers, so it's AWLS is modelled as a regular western ILS.

The DCS AV-8B can therefore use AWLS to land at runway with ILS but not for guidance to a CV/LHA with ICLS.

AFAIK IRL the AV-8B uses ICLS and has the same limitations as the Hornet - requiring AN/TPN-30, AN/TPN-22 or similar, for AWLS/TACAN guidance to a land based FARP or expeditionary airfield.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080