navigation flight director behavior and other observations

Baz000

So I have here 5 tracks for comparison... 3 of MiG-29 over the hump campaign, missions 1 and 2 because mission 2 had more waypoints and more complicated flight plan.

I did the same with Su-27 because they should be the same navigation instruments the Soviets designed commonality in their aircraft as well as their pilot training. In the case of the Su-27 I did the first mission of the ultimate argument DLC campaign and the Fortress Mozdok campaign.

in all of the missions I am acting like a HUD crippled pilot using the steering circle in navigation mode on the HUD for remaining on the proper flight path and altitude per the assigned flight plans respectively. The only time I deviate from this is when I switch to A/A modes to take care of business before continuing on my flight plan on the missions.

In some of the tracks I don't make it back to base and I die in the hands of the enemy. In others I do make it back to base and I land quite gracefully except for in the MiG-29 where somehow I burst a tire on landing and would like to find out how that happened? You can also see alot of weird AI behavior such as taxiing way too close to the player aircraft almost ramming my exhaust with their pitot tube (how rude!) to coming in to land in what would appear to look like a good formation landing in tandem only to abort at the moment the player touches down and completely distract me and I mess up the aerobrake and scrape the tail on the ground. To the most common problem I see alot of is the aimlessly circling the landing pattern trying to land but never doing so only to eject because of fuel starvation. This last one happens alot.

Back to the flight director behavior... It looks like this thing is working by having you fly over the steerpoint instead of directing you to the next steerpoint when you reach proximity of the one you just are about to fly over. The problem with this is you are always off course in your turns and it directs you to constantly be turning to correct course without ever correcting your course in some case and you just end up needlessly burning and wasting fuel.

Also, when you reach a steerpoint where you need to turn 180 degrees like in the first mission of The Ultimate Argument where you have to do CAP between waypoints 3 and 4 and also in the second mission of Over the Hump campaign where you have to turn back around so you don't go too far to the south, the flight director circle keeps sending you in the wrong direction 180 degrees to where you need to go to make it to the waypoint and stay on flight plan.

Another observation, this time with my AI wingmen in 4 ship formation... It seems that in finger 4 and spread finger 4 number 2 in the formation always wants to switch sides. In finger 4 he is always on my right and in spread finger 4 the other element and number 2 wants to cross each other and spread out, thus number 2 being on my left instead of the right. I think it is pretty standard for number 2 to stay on the right and if I spread the formation using the spread 4 command to have 2 separate 2 ship elements, number 2 should stay on my left in both the finger 4 and spread 4 and 3 and 4 should always be to my right as standard being that they are the second element that way they don't have to cross each other and deconflict.

I cringe every time I see number 2 cross over to my left side after being on the right, he ought to always be on my left and need not cross over and deconflict with 3 and 4 because I swear one of these days I feel like I will see them crash into each other lol.

Also immediately on takeoff the guidance from the flight director circle is not getting you onto the correct flight path efficiently either, again causing you to make multiple turns. And it doesn't want you doing standard instrument turns either, it literally wants you doing break turns lol

Also the assigned altitudes and speeds on the HUD are not matching the positioning of the flight director circle, in particular the assigned altitude of steerpoint is off by 400 to 500 m constantly. When you look at the ADI, I imagine what you should see is 2 yellow needles centered and the 2 out lying white lines centered inside the white circles on the outer perimeter of the ADI, this is not the case if you follow the yellow needles, the white altitude line is never in the white circle if you have the yellow needles centered and vice versa too.

MiG-29 over the hump mission 1 (flat tire landing at end and simple flight plan)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yVtpplNR4YWpBmfnCzCza_MgYcwJ_2pO/view?usp=sharing

MiG-29 over the hump mission 2 (first attempt I get shot down after perpetual dogfight with a nasty F-5E that won't bug out)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ePF3PY4RlUrQe0nCFBfUC8Yla1f30LF/view?usp=sharing

MiG-29 over the hump mission 2 (second attempt I get shot down again by a sneaky F-5E but this time my flight director tells me to fly further south after I am way off course and doesn't direct me to get back onto the flight path for the mission)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KKatCgsDq3N5no0CzHMn9GNTDmTufT00/view?usp=sharing

Su-27 the ultimate argument (simple flight plan, same thing on takeoff it wants many turns to get on the assigned flight path... Unfortunately my AI wingman dies because I was a little too slow getting a R-73 off at a Su-25)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fXNBWnJWK35ztATmj70yWCmgSRFpbF-R/view?usp=sharing

Su-27 fortress Mozdok (more complex flight plan, no combat... Only seeing me struggle to stick to the flight plan following that director circle around)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G4t749l-CXpdJO9sN_l_fkmuzEtP1a9f/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Baz000
add links

AI is still WIP so update after update they do weirds things sometimes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=241629&stc=1&d=1593783982

If you want to fly by automaticaly changing waypoints you have to aim and fly close enough over the waypoint and then follow the flight director that will want to put you back on the course line asap - it's read line. That way you might be turning almost back at some point to reach the course line.

You can also change the waypoint earlier and make a smooth transition - green line. The flight director will be fine then.

At take off make sure the waypoint is already set to 1 - unfortunately, no cockpit indicator for this currently, you have to make it out of the range and bearing. It it was set to 0 (which is the starting airport) the flight director will indeed put you back into the circle.

btw: Your files are not accessible.

wpt.jpg.7332db7f48fe124804452217ecc92e71.jpg

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

HSI isn't showing optimum glide-slope needle for non Russian ILS landings and ADI bug

HSI isn't showing optimum glide-slope needle for non Russian ILS landings

Also the yellow ADI needles and the white deviation bars for altitude are not matching each other same problem too with assigned altitude on the HUD on top left corner the small numbers and the altitude the steering circle is telling you to be at are like 200m off from each other.