DCS September Newsletter

Revelation

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update, looks like we gonna get a busy fall/winter!

...include multiplayer front seat / back seat capability. We believe that this feature will add a new dimension of gameplay for this aircraft and several others like the UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Hawk, and C-101.

Finally! Now all I miss is a AH-64A|D Apache to use it with :)

/KC

• 1 month later...
Somebody told me late 2015..... Not too sure about that.
VEAO just fixed (hopefully) a major landing gear bug with the Hawk so that module will likely come out with the standard flight model this year. It is expected to come out with the professional flight model in 2015. The hornet is much more up in the air, no pun intended.

Will DCS ever support DX11? And what about AMD opt?

Hi,

2 quick questions.

1. Will the game support DX11 in near future?

2. Anyone knows if ED are working on optimizing the game for AMD machines?

I mean, I have a 8 core FX CPU with 4.4GHz on each core. 8GB 1600MHz RAM, SSD, R9 270x 2GB, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, but I can barely play on medium..

X-55 Rhino guide to configure the Mouse Nipple to work as TDC slew!

My rig

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz

8GB RAM

R9 270x 2GB

SSD

Win 8.1 Pro

DX11 is coming in DCS:W 2.0 which will likely be released this year. It's an entirely new graphics engine.

Impossible to say if they can optimize it more for AMD though. I have a similiar CPU to yours and the sim runs perfectly fine even without overclocking in my opinion.

Impossible to say if they can optimize it more for AMD though. I have a similiar CPU to yours and the sim runs perfectly fine even without overclocking in my opinion.

Whaat, really?..

What GPU do you have, and what drivers?

I just checked my maximum GPU Load in GPU-Z after i played DCS, and it showed 99%. My max VRAM usage was around 1 - 1,5GB. I've never checked gpu load before, only VRAM usage, so it seems that my GPU is too weak? But I would assume it has to do with the game not supporting DX11.

Could try and give the gpu core clock a little bump to see if any gains are noticable.

X-55 Rhino guide to configure the Mouse Nipple to work as TDC slew!

My rig

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz

8GB RAM

R9 270x 2GB

SSD

Win 8.1 Pro

I mean, I have a 8 core FX CPU with 4.4GHz on each core. 8GB 1600MHz RAM, SSD, R9 270x 2GB, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, but I can barely play on medium..

I have i5 3,3gHz, 8GB 1330MHz RAM, no SSD, ATI Radeon HD 7700 1GB and I play on high settings - getting 30 to 40fps :P

But last week I bought a new comp for more than 1k eur from my work company and it has i7 4790, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, SSD, Nvidia GT630 0W (yeah you read right).. and comp was blasting on desktop, installing games or surfing folders with lot of pics/vids; but when I installed DCS and went all excited to play I was very disappointed, I got only 10 to 14 fps on same settings. I went back and we figured it is a ''workstation'', meant for modelling, psu only had 280 W, so we couldn't upgrade gpu... So there was nothing for me and I said no thx and I gave this comp back :)

my settings

picture.php?albumid=976&pictureid=6727

I don't think the AMD gear is your bottleneck -- if I were you, I'd upgrade my GPU and then possibly add more RAM.

I too run an FX-8350 - and am hard-pressed to get FPS < 30, all settings maxed-out.

I use an H80i water cooler from Corsair, which allowed OC'ing to around 4.8 -- but recently researched and purchased this, which hands-down, blows away the competition. Having booted into Windows with all eight cores at 5GHz, I was stunned to see my CPU temperature idling at 18 DegC :D

My Setup:

FX-8350 (with IndigoExtreme thermal solution, and H80i Corsair cooler)

32 Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @1866

120 Gb Corsair Neutron SSD, dedicated to DCS

NVIDIA GTX 580 video card

ASUS M5A99FX PRO rev2.0 motherboard

Edited by BBQ

I don't think the AMD gear is your bottleneck -- if I were you, I'd upgrade my GPU and then possibly add more RAM.

I too run an FX-8350 - and am hard-pressed to get FPS < 30.

I use an H80i water cooler from Corsair, which allowed OC'ing to around 4.8 -- but recently researched and purchased this, which hands-down, blows away the competition. Having booted into Windows with all eight cores at 5GHz, I was stunned to see my CPU temperature idling at 18 DegC :D

The amd cpu could absolutely be your bottleneck problem. I learned this the hard way back in 2012. I ordered a high end amd cpu and Xfire 6950s. Couldnt get past 32fps avg in BF3 despite what internet benchmarks said I should get. I upgraded to a GTX 680 to try and solve the issue, no dice. Finally after some research I found the Cpu was bottlenecking the cards. I switched to a i5 and suddenly started getting 60fps avg or better in every game including bf3. AMD cpus are shit. For their Ghz they have terrible architecture that uses the power very inefficiently. In DCS it would be more an issue because DCS is a more cpu centered game right now. I highly recommend going to a i5 4670k or better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Weed Be gone Needed

The amd cpu could absolutely be your bottleneck problem. I learned this the hard way back in 2012. I ordered a high end amd cpu and Xfire 6950s. Couldnt get past 32fps avg in BF3 despite what internet benchmarks said I should get. I upgraded to a GTX 680 to try and solve the issue, no dice. Finally after some research I found the Cpu was bottlenecking the cards. I switched to a i5 and suddenly started getting 60fps avg or better in every game including bf3. AMD cpus are shit. For their Ghz they have terrible architecture that uses the power very inefficiently. In DCS it would be more an issue because DCS is a more cpu centered game right now. I highly recommend going to a i5 4670k or better.

Odd, I ran an 8320 and 280x (solo) on Ultra at a constant 70+ FPS in BF4.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

DX11 is coming.

I highly recommend going to a i5 4670k or better.

This game is severely CPU-bottlenecked, even a quad-core Haswell i5-4690k barely has any advantage over a dual-core Haswell Pentium G3420. This is personal experience.

Despite the i5 having huge advantages within the same architecture in every way (Clockspeed, cores, cache etc.), the same extended framedrops to the 7-10fps range happen, and GPU usage is usually around 70-80% on both CPU's.

From what I've read here, the engine is based on some ancient game, which makes sense how badly CPU's are put to work. Hopefully DX11 will bring some much needed optimizations.

There is no optimization for "AMD machines", only for multiple cores and better CPU utilization.

My skins/liveries for Fw 190 D-9 and Bf 109 K-4:

My blog or Forums.

Open for requests as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What I want to know is, will DCS support DX12? It is especially made to alleviate CPU overhead and allow better CPU utilization.

Not anytime soon.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Soo ... what if someone has a slower computer and can only run DCS on med graphics. What will happen when EDGE comes out, will they be left up *@% creek without a paddle? Or do you think the efficiency of EDGE might still allow them to run on, or about, med graphic settings?

Lastly, would they have to update to EDGE, or if they knew they'd have issues, can they stay with the current system?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Museum Relic Campaign: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164322

Community Missions (SP & MP) --> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205546

• ED Team
Soo ... what if someone has a slower computer and can only run DCS on med graphics. What will happen when EDGE comes out, will they be left up *@% creek without a paddle? Or do you think the efficiency of EDGE might still allow them to run on, or about, med graphic settings?

Lastly, would they have to update to EDGE, or if they knew they'd have issues, can they stay with the current system?

There isnt any info on how EDGE compares with the current release so hard to say right now.

As for EDGE, if you dont update when EDGE comes out, you wont be able to play multiplayer with others that have updated, as well, any new content release from 2.0 you probably wont be able to use, such as new modules, etc....

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

That's a really good Question.

Conceptually speaking, it would defeat the purpose if it doesn't.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.