Xtal VR headset

stefew1966

VR is in my future but I really know sod all about it. I looked at Sweviver's review and thought Wow!!! It looks a complete game changer for the reasons Der Hirte pointed out.

I don't know why so many are negative about this headset, Green Cheese?

From my perspective it's low volume so high cost but it will have high quallity components and be well put together, F1 race teams do not buy crap.

Possibly where it really scores is Optics, anybody who knows anything about photography will tell you optics are more important than Megpixels when it comes to image clarity.

I wish the OP good luck and wish I was wealthy enough to jump in without too much hand wringing. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I was in that position

Entirely Green Cheese. IF I could easily drop 5k on headset every 2-3 years I'd do it too.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hello Stef,

I was also enthuastic to go for the XTAL and not waiting for the consumer version.

But I am not so sure any longer spending the money without testing, because probably the vertical FOV is not yet how it should or could be.

Find the following video and have a look at minute 20:03.

Based on that sentence I am hesitating now and will not buy before testing it.

Cheers,

NCurk

Not too concerned about vertical FOV

Hello Stef,

I was also enthuastic to go for the XTAL and not waiting for the consumer version.

But I am not so sure any longer spending the money without testing, because probably the vertical FOV is not yet how it should or could be.

Find the following video and have a look at minute 20:03.

Based on that sentence I am hesitating now and will not buy before testing it.

Cheers,

NCurk

I have watched that video before. I'm not that worried about the vertical FOV not being as wide as some of the other headsets on the market. To be honest the horizontal FOV will be so much better than anything I have experienced before that I will probably be happy enough.

But thanks for pointing that out!

Stef

I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog, TM TPR pedals, TrackIR, projector, Odyssey, Xtal, custom flight chair, Proflight Trainer Puma.

From my perspective it's low volume so high cost but it will have high quallity components and be well put together, F1 race teams do not buy crap. ...

... wish I was wealthy enough to jump in without too much hand wringing. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I was in that position

When you compare the costs of the XTAL against what it does cost you to be a fighter pilot in real life/get the chance to fly a supersonic jet in real life (edge of space flight in russia 16000$ for like 1 hour for example) then you will quickly find that the headset isn't as expensive as it's made out to be. Yes it is 5000 bucks as of now, surely less with a consumer version in a few months or so but when you put in perspective? It's really not too much.

Entirely Green Cheese. IF I could easily drop 5k on headset every 2-3 years I'd do it too.

Especially when you see that you don't have to buy a new headset every few years. Will there be headsets which will be better someday than the XTAL? Probably yes. But do you have to upgrade "every 2-3 years" with such a headset? No, you only have to when you don't buy XTAL but an Oculus, Odyssey, Pimax and what not. If you build the "strongest" computer today it will last you longer than someone building a "medium budget" one so he has to upgrade earlier = same or nearly the same costs as building a strong one right from the start. Here it is the same - but you have the quality experience earlier than others.

With the advancing of the peripherals for flight simulations today you can build a simulator so good you could take people from the street and give them a flight for 50 or 100 bucks, not kidding. Have a look at Bergisons G-Seat, DCS World software, the new flight sticks with pedals and throttle and finally a XTAL headset. This is pretty damn realistic, this blows the mind of average joe. You have to put in the money once and then you only have to turn on the computer and be able to fly from your home. All in all it is less than 9000 to 10000 bucks (with G-Seat; with XTAL) and from then it will cost you only internet and electricity per month.

Edited by Der Hirte

Xtal paid for

Good morning everybody,

I received my invoice this morning and paid for the headset. Now I wait. It will be a long wait! :(

Once I receive the headset, I will post a video of the unboxing and of my impressions of the build quality. Then I will proceed to some quick testing. After that I will post as much detailed information as I can.

Cheers

Stef

I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog, TM TPR pedals, TrackIR, projector, Odyssey, Xtal, custom flight chair, Proflight Trainer Puma.

Congrats on your purchase. I await your thoughts and impressions.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

Yes, congrats to you Stef!

Don´t forget to buy a pair of Lighthouse boxes, if not included into the XTAL.

Looking forward for your impressions with DCS - I´m sure you won´t regret :)

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

Lighthouse boxes not included

Yes, congrats to you Stef!

Don´t forget to buy a pair of Lighthouse boxes, if not included into the XTAL.

Looking forward for your impressions with DCS - I´m sure you won´t regret :)

Hey Voight,

The Lighthouse boxes are not included and have to be purchased separately. I knew that going in.

Stef

Grats! Let’s just say that you’re not the only one who’s excited about this headset.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Good morning everybody,

I received my invoice this morning and paid for the headset. Now I wait. It will be a long wait! :(

Once I receive the headset, I will post a video of the unboxing and of my impressions of the build quality. Then I will proceed to some quick testing. After that I will post as much detailed information as I can.

Cheers

Stef

Depending on your assessment... I may cave and purchase. THE WHOLE WORLD IS WAITING...LOL!

Never has so much been expected by so many of so few

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

Never has so much been expected by so many of so few

LOFL... you win the interweb for the day sir.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Especially when you see that you don't have to buy a new headset every few years. Will there be headsets which will be better someday than the XTAL? Probably yes. But do you have to upgrade "every 2-3 years" with such a headset?

I'm just going to have to disagree with you there. In 2-3 years I absolutely think there will be better headsets than the current gen Xtal. We haven't even seen a good comparion clarity wise between the Xtal and a Reverb which might be superior in that respect. The Varjo Bionic will likely be out by then too, and at a guess will be better than the Xtal. And at a guess they might be onto the Xtal2. So if money is no concern, then of course in 2 more years you buy whatever is best, but for us mere mortals, well 600 vs 5k for a headset that I'm likely going to replace in 2-3 years is a pretty easy calculation for me personally.

I'd love one but it's a bit too risky for me to spend so much without knowing if it was as good as Sweviver reports. I wonder if you turned up at Xtal in Prague, after making an appointment, would they let you give it a go so you could literally 'see' for yourself. I bought a Pimax 5K after watching all the really positive reviews about the wide FOV etc but I've gone back now to the Vive Pro with the lens mod as, in my opinion, the Image quality, clarity and FPS are much better. When I first got the Pimax I thought it was brilliant and I overlooked/ignored all the issues. 3 months later and its back in its box as I was spending more time fiddling about with settings than flying. I have to say though, the Xtal looks good and I'm looking forward to unbiased, honest reviews.

Win 11, 12900K, 32Gb RAM, MSI Gaming Trio X 3090,  Varjo Aero, TM Warthog, PointCtrl, ViaComPro, Tactile Inducers, Next Level Racing Motion Platform.

I'm just going to have to disagree with you there. In 2-3 years I absolutely think there will be better headsets than the current gen Xtal. ...

I didn't say it will still be the best then and none other come close. Do you need to upgrade if you now get a XTAL instead of a Oculus, Pimax or whatever? No, but with all these others headsets you can be sure. With the XTAL you're the least likely to upgrade, it's miles ahead of the competition as of now. It can survive atleast one full generation refresh by the others and even after that it is also unlikely their competition will reach in to those quality levels, think of the price. There's a reason the XTAL is so expensive, VR in general is already a niche market. You will not see Oculus, Samsung and what not making premium VR headsets. It will be top-notch longer than you might think.

... I wonder if you turned up at Xtal in Prague, after making an appointment, would they let you give it a go so you could literally 'see' for yourself. ...

You can literally make an appointment with them or even visit them spontaneously if you are close by for testing the headset. Their door is open.

Edited by Der Hirte

Good morning everybody,

Cheers

Stef

You are about to embark on a great adventure. For which we have striven for many years. The eyes of the DCS World is upon you. the hopes and prayers of DCS loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave gamers and VR brothers in arms on Caucuses front. Your task will not be an easy one.

And just know that all of us will be living through your reviews vicariously! :D:D:joystick::joystick:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You can literally make an appointment with them or even visit them spontaneously if you are close by for testing the headset. Their door is open.

Damn, I was just in Prague too. (beautiful city by the way).

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

LMAO, no pressure!

You are about to embark on a great adventure. For which we have striven for many years. The eyes of the DCS World is upon you. the hopes and prayers of DCS loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave gamers and VR brothers in arms on Caucuses front. Your task will not be an easy one.

And just know that all of us will be living through your reviews vicariously! :D:D:joystick::joystick:

LMAO, no pressure at all. I can only hope I do the Xtal justice. And yes, an adventure it will be, no doubt. When I started thinking about buying one, I was hoping, even maybe expecting someone else had one and was using it for DCS or any other flight sim for that matter. Alas, it looks like I will be on my own for now. But it will be my pleasure to share my experience with all of you!

Stef

Good one, tell me: how long do you must wait for it to arrive? What's written in the mail?

The invoice says July. I can't believe I'm wishing my summer away! :mad:

The invoice says July. I can't believe I'm wishing my summer away! :mad:

Hmm, that's not too bad. Do let us know!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Youll probabaly get yours before anyone sees a revervb.

• 1 month later...
Youll probabaly get yours before anyone sees a revervb.

True :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb