Engine go down at high Altitude....

Hi, firstly forgive my bad English....

I need help cause I have this problem.

A lot of time, when I clib over 20k feet to intercept enemy bomber my engine go down and I loose power, speed until I come down and die....

Sometimes I manage to relight the engine but only a very low altitude and when it restart it run only for 5/10 seconds at maximun speed and then the propeller go stucked as when overething...but the temperature are pratically zero.

Coming back...I fly regulary, 2800rpm. 8/10 manifold...compressor in auto mode...

At 14k the compressor switch to high mode.

If I continue to clib I start noticing that the coolant liquid temperature start dropping...under 60 so I try to raise up the rpm to 3k and the manifold to the maximum...the temperature stabilize a little...over 80 for the coolant.

As soon as the engine start "buffeting" I switch the fuel boost pump...and it start to run again.

But there....the problem...after some time that I flew like this...the temperature never rise...and when I come on fight with the bomber, if they try to break and loose quota, the slightest dive to follow them cause my temp to go to zero..and the engine....gone....

What I'm doing wrong?

I hope that I was at least undesrstandable.... :)

1st, make sure you use the electric fuel pump (switch just under the elevator trim wheel). Leave the supercharger in auto mode. I never touch the air intake control or pretty much any other setting apart from what is needed to get the engine running.

Try that, and I don't even think you need to do anything with the tank pressurization switch if you have the electric fuel pump on.

tank pressure handle is only for emergency

cut off at high alt is becouse boost pump not turn on/ switch is next to pitot heater switch

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Hi, firstly forgive my bad English....

I need help cause I have this problem.

A lot of time, when I clib over 20k feet to intercept enemy bomber my engine go down and I loose power, speed until I come down and die....

Sometimes I manage to relight the engine but only a very low altitude and when it restart it run only for 5/10 seconds at maximun speed and then the propeller go stucked as when overething...but the temperature are pratically zero.

Coming back...I fly regulary, 2800rpm. 8/10 manifold...compressor in auto mode...

At 14k the compressor switch to high mode.

If I continue to clib I start noticing that the coolant liquid temperature start dropping...under 60 so I try to raise up the rpm to 3k and the manifold to the maximum...the temperature stabilize a little...over 80 for the coolant.

As soon as the engine start "buffeting" I switch the fuel boost pump...and it start to run again.

But there....the problem...after some time that I flew like this...the temperature never rise...and when I come on fight with the bomber, if they try to break and loose quota, the slightest dive to follow them cause my temp to go to zero..and the engine....gone....

What I'm doing wrong?

I hope that I was at least undesrstandable.... :)

advice for temps problem you dont realy have to go for 3000rpm and full boost to keep temps in ok range

solution is way easier climb with small speed keep speed around 150mph and you will not have temps problem

when oil temp and coolant temp go below minimums values engine will likely brake so keep it in mind

those engines need proper warm up before t/o becouse not like in automobiles engines when you can drive with minimum power and minimum rpm, for t/o you need full power and full rpm.

engine cut out in those planes ais very dangerous becouse cooling systems are not able to close coolant doors completly so even when radiator control is at closed position air will run through radiators so in case engien out you are risking overcooling up high where air temp is very low you can freez engine

the same situation is when you need drop alt quickly in those planes you cant cut throttle to 0 you will end up overcooling engine.

btw what is your max alt in spit ??

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 1 month later...

After engine start ensure "Fuel Pump Switch" is ON.

This is located below the elevator trim wheel and can be difficult to see. Default key binding is "0" (zero). Recommend you have it on a HOTAS button if available for ease of access.

If you climb above 25,000ft it is a good idea to switch the "Fuel Tank Pressure cock" to ON. This located low down at the far right hand side of the instrument panel. This helps prevent the fuel from boiling at the very low ambient air pressures found at high altitudes.

As for climb: if you need to get height in a hurry then stay at 2850 RPM and 12lb boost and keep 160mph IAS minimum. You can run 1 hour at this setting - mind you you'll run out of fuel before you hit the hour mark if you stay at this power setting as the fuel consumption is something in the order of 105 gallons/hour and you only have a85 gallons!

If you're more interested in conserving fuel you can still get ~2000ft/min out of her at 2650RPM and 7lb boost and holding 180mph IAS. Just bear in mind that you will have to regularly check the boost gauge and keep advancing the throttle to maintain 7lb as you climb.