Everyone is my friend!!!

euthyphro

Do you mean the green bricks? The bricks themselves are just contacts, you need to place the TDC over them in order to get IFF info.

Also, make sure your IFF and Datalink are turned on.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 1 month later...

Just got the Oculus S today, great upgrade... Anyways, Still having the issue of enemy showing as a square in my HUD instead of a diamond. Did not have this issue a couple months ago. BTW IFF and Datalink have to do with navigation.

Just got the Oculus S today, great upgrade... Anyways, Still having the issue of enemy showing as a square in my HUD instead of a diamond. Did not have this issue a couple months ago. BTW IFF and Datalink have to do with navigation.

No one said anything about Navigation.

You need to make sure your IFF and D/L are turned on. You then need to place your TDC cursor over the radar contact and press Sensor Select Depress (if I remember correctly) to activate IFF interrogation process.

A friendly will return as a green contact. An unknown will stay yellow and a hostile will go red. For the Hornet system to positively ID a contact as hostile it needs two forms of ID. That can be multiple aircraft via D/L. If can also be your IFF and NCTR.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

No one said anything about Navigation.

You need to make sure your IFF and D/L are turned on. You then need to place your TDC cursor over the radar contact and press Sensor Select Depress (if I remember correctly) to activate IFF interrogation process.

A friendly will return as a green contact. An unknown will stay yellow and a hostile will go red. For the Hornet system to positively ID a contact as hostile it needs two forms of ID. That can be multiple aircraft via D/L. If can also be your IFF and NCTR.

I seriously have no idea what you are talking about. Unless the Hornet recently got a huge update. I dont know anything about colors on the attack radar screen or anything about that. All I know is that enemies are supposed to be diamonds in the HUD and they show as squares on mine.

I seriously have no idea what you are talking about. Unless the Hornet recently got a huge update. I dont know anything about colors on the attack radar screen or anything about that. All I know is that enemies are supposed to be diamonds in the HUD and they show as squares on mine.
Watch Wags youtube channel where he has a video explaining it all. But previous comment was right.

Diamonds are on the HUD, red contacts on the radar attk page.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

The Hornet got a huge update recently:

Now that IFF and SA are modeled (part of recent huge update) the Hornet no longer automatically distinguishes between friendlies and hostiles. You have to do some work to identify which is which. The earlier releases did it for you as an unrealistic shortcut because the relevant systems were still in development.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

Now that IFF and SA are modeled (part of recent huge update) the Hornet no longer automatically distinguishes between friendlies and hostiles. You have to do some work to identify which is which. The earlier releases did it for you as an unrealistic shortcut because the relevant systems were still in development.

That sums it up very well. Short and clear.

Sorry about the confusion on this page. Thanks for the clarification and for being patient with me.

I make sure my IFF is active and then I lock on a target by pressing the "throttle designator controller depress" (1 ID). Then I press the "sensor control switch depress" (2 ID).

When I do this enemies are still showing as squares or unknown. The weird thing is about 1 out of 20 tries they will show as a diamond in the HUD and red on the radar.

I also followed the video step by step (kind of confusing what is going on there). I go the the SA page and I find the target I am locked onto. Then I press all the depress switches I can with no avail. The video does not use exact names for switches which adds to the confusion.

Sorry about the confusion on this page. Thanks for the clarification and for being patient with me.

I make sure my IFF is active and then I lock on a target by pressing the "throttle designator controller depress" (1 ID). Then I press the "sensor control switch depress" (2 ID).

When I do this enemies are still showing as squares or unknown. The weird thing is about 1 out of 20 tries they will show as a diamond in the HUD and red on the radar.

I also followed the video step by step (kind of confusing what is going on there). I go the the SA page and I find the target I am locked onto. Then I press all the depress switches I can with no avail. The video does not use exact names for switches which adds to the confusion.

If you do not have DL and you haven't locked anyone you will only ever see squares on the HUD - square means friendly or hostile. You can only get a diamond on the HUD if you have more than one source of info saying its hostile - either another plane saying its hostile via data link or your own plane also identifying it as a hostile aircraft with NCTR (which only happens when you lock a contact which is fairly close to you and facing you, sometimes possible when it's going away from you too).

What you need to be looking for are the symbols on the radar screen or SA page - green semicircles or circles are friendly, yellow staples or squares are unknown (and if you IFFed it and it stayed yellow, you can assume its hostile - there's no neutral coalitions in DCS), and red carets or diamonds are hostile. You can see which target you've locked on the SA page as it'll have a star in the middle - and once you lock a target you can IFF and it'll change the icon on the radar page (in the middle of the screen).

Remember to switch IFF and DL on - press the buttons on the UFC and then press ON.

Edited by backspace340

yesterday during a MP session I met a hostile from his 3 o'clock, <2nm....although visualy id he was a hostile - I got the square, fired a fox3. as soon as I got on his 6 the NCTR kicked in and he was shown as a diamond...

So it is not obvious for the IFF to be able to distingish between f&f although very close by...

yesterday during a MP session I met a hostile from his 3 o'clock, <2nm....although visualy id he was a hostile - I got the square, fired a fox3. as soon as I got on his 6 the NCTR kicked in and he was shown as a diamond...

So it is not obvious for the IFF to be able to distingish between f&f although very close by...

The key thing here is, without a second party telling your aircraft via datalink "hey this thing is hostile" your IFF is telling you "i don't get a friendly response" -> square/yellow/unknown contact.

For your aircraft alone you need to be infront or in the back of the plane so NCTR(not IFF) can identify the plane type (Mig/Su/F.../ i think Wags stated somewhere within 20° 12/6 o'clock position). To do so your Radar needs a good look at the engine fan blades, if you look at him at his 3 o'clock your Radar can't see the fan blades -> no identification.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings