Disabled AP channels

Hi,

I am currently trying to get into the Shark. During my flight I found something strange.

Self disabling AP channels. What causes the disabling of the the BANK/PITCH/HDG AP channels? I did several test flights where I flew around, shot some weapons and landed on several spots. I did never manually disable any AP channel. Only FD. Every time somewhere during the flight it happens that all AP channels are disabled. What causes this?

Thank you!

I remember I used to have trouble with that, but haven't for a long time...

I think there's something happens if you exceed the authority of the AP by too much or for too long...

e.g. If you enable auto hover, then fly away having forgotten you did, at some point the AP will disengage and turn off all the AP channels.

Are you flying without trimming ? Eventually that might do it too.

Cheers.

e.g. If you enable auto hover, then fly away having forgotten you did, at some point the AP will disengage and turn off all the AP channels.

I'm pretty sure that, when Auto Hover is engaged *and* the radar alt drops below 4 meters (or maybe 3 meters), all AP channels will immediately disconnect. Which I find kind of strange, seeing as close to the ground I might need them more than at any other point in flight, but who am I to question the wisdom of Kamov's engineers... :music_whistling: :smartass:

There is definitely a limit there which you can safely test by holding the route switch on the collective to 'descend' while in a hover. The only way you can drop below that limit with the hover mode active is if you drift over suddenly rising terrain.

My guess would be accidentally having hit the emergency disable button on the cyclic as well.

• 3 weeks later...

This may be a sucking eggs comment but I have to ask! are you aware that the AP channels only exercise 20% authority over the possible input range? thus if for any reason you input (either by extreme trim condition or direct pilot input) more that 20% then the safety system will disconnect the AP channels.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thus if for any reason you input (either by extreme trim condition or direct pilot input) more that 20% then the safety system will disconnect the AP channels.

I haven't flown the Black Shark in a good long while, but are you sure the AP channels get disconnected when the pilots provides more than 20% input against it?

My understanding has always been that the helicopter will still exert its 20% authority "against" the pilot input, resulting in the struggle that many pilots feel when they're new to this chopper, aka "fighting the AP"; the AP channels would still remain connected/activated in this case, though.

My understanding has always been that the helicopter will still exert its 20% authority "against" the pilot input, resulting in the struggle that many pilots feel when they're new to this chopper, aka "fighting the AP"; the AP channels would still remain connected/activated in this case, though.

Yep

Going from memory, engaging Autohover can result in any activated AutoPilot Channels disengaging under several conditions.

* If you activate Autohover while too low to the ground i.e. lower than 3 or 4 meters.

* If you can try and engage AutoHover immediately after first ramp take off (system needs some time to fully stabilize, not sure how much though).

* If you engage Autohover at too steep of a pitch angle. Actually this exception I am less sure about but I saw it mentioned before.

In those conditions, when you engage AutoHover you will see the Autopilot channel buttons blink (well you would if the in-cockpit indicator buttons were still working properly but that's a whole other topic) and then turn off as they are disengaged.

I believe you will also see your AP channels disengage when your INU is not properly aligned after a ramp start and you try to engage AutoHover. That could be related to the second reason above though.

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

(well you would if the in-cockpit indicator buttons were still working properly but that's a whole other topic)

As opposed to what you put it to, this is the whole issue in a nutshell. I wish ED fixed the Ka-50 prior to updating the much less relevant P-51D cockpit that doesn't even have such problems...

After lots of years I wanted to try the Shark with the new 2.5 engine and it's benefits, having forgotten about this, just to run into the "they don't light up at all" issue. I'd even dare to say this is "game breaking".

Nevertheless I can live patience with lots of other great modules though twilightsmile.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

It's not that you cant read the buttons at all, it's just vice versa, no big deal.

Just imagine Igor had a bad Vodka and messed up the wires, there you go ;)

It's also true, depending on your LoD and settings, it can be almost indistinguishable.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

As opposed to what you put it to, this is the whole issue in a nutshell. I wish ED fixed the Ka-50 prior to updating the much less relevant P-51D cockpit that doesn't even have such problems...

After lots of years I wanted to try the Shark with the new 2.5 engine and it's benefits, having forgotten about this, just to run into the "they don't light up at all" issue. I'd even dare to say this is "game breaking".

Nevertheless I can live patience with lots of other great modules though twilightsmile.png

This problem and a few more minor things made me shelf and mothball my Ka-50 for quite a while, but as of late I got it out again and once I got over the confusing and annoying lights situation I have no regrets and love it again.

There is a user created mod a few threads below this one that helps the situation out a great deal. Not perfect in all times of day, but much better than default. You may want to check it out.

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

The lighting issue affects more than just the autopilot lights. The data link, auto turn, A/A, A/A HO, and ground moving target lights are nearly invisible when turned on. The panel backlighting and ADI and SAI backlights are not working at all, making the helicopter unflyable at night without the cockpit light on. The night vision lighting is equally busted and puts out less light than a tea light. The lighting has been busted for 2 years now, so long that some people who've bought the module recently don't know that the lighting is backwards and end up turning off the autopilot channels thinking that they're turning it on.

It's beyond preposterous at this point considering all the other modules they keep pumping out. Either fix the module or take it off the store already.:mad:

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

"It's beyond preposterous at this point"

LOL.

It works fine. Just know that the lights are currently for the "off" setting... and when "on" the lights are off.

Easy Peasy.

Oh and be patient :).

"The night vision lighting is equally busted and puts out less light than a tea light."

LOL. Have you ever used Russian NV? I have. From about the same vintage as the BS too. I'd say the NV in the BS is WAY too good :). Maybe try using the ground following capabilities of the aircraft, then just use the regular Schkval cam to attack. Be careful. FYI... I'm not sure the Russians actually use the BS at night? If so... I think they've upgraded the NV since it was originally produced :). The Russian stuff was SUPER bad back then. SUPER bad.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

It works fine. Just know that the lights are currently for the "off" setting... and when "on" the lights are off.

Easy Peasy.

To be honest, the 'easy peasy' half of that makes one think it shouldn't take years to fix that, too.

Also, Ranma13 has quite a point: there are people who buy the Black Shark and have never known how these things are supposed to look.

Oh and be patient :).

For how long? The Ka-50's lighting has been broken since deferred shading came out 2 years ago and DCS 2.x was called EDGE. It took ED a year to even acknowledge that it was a problem and that they were working on an update to fix it by the end of the year, but that was 2018. They then pushed it back to 2019, and we're still waiting, 2 years and still counting. How long should we be patient for? 3 years? 4 years? Maybe I need to wait as long as I've been waiting for Huey multi-crew, which is still not implemented after 6 years despite still being listed as an upcoming feature?

As I've already mentioned, it's not just the autopilot lights that are busted, it's a whole slew of lights across the cockpit. It's easy enough to say "just know that the lights are reversed", but what if you don't know? I've already come across multiple instances of people buying the module and then turning "on" the channels, not realizing they're turning it off instead. How is the average person supposed to know that they're reversed, when the only place that mentions it is this very specific sub-forum in very specific threads?

And putting aside your humble brag, I'm not talking about the NVG, I'm talking about the night vision lighting switch that puts out a blue light throughout the cockpit:

Edited by Ranma13

Look I hear you... They should be fixed. I agree.

I also think that it was only broken for me for about 30 seconds. Not because I installed a Mod... but because when I saw what they were doing I flipped the switch in my head and just started getting stuff killed.

I was and still am sure that ED will fix them. If you can't wait... go get a mod. It's that easy.

No... I don't think that people should "never" mention the crap that's broken. That would be dumb. But there's no sense in harping on it for two years once ED said a LONG time ago that they were going to fix them.

Help the new folks, understand they'll be fixed, be patient, be cool... That's all I'm saying. Put the whole thing in context. This isn't AC7 here... It's a SMALL team making modules that are way more complicated and yeah... to be honest it's likely that they don't have the best underlying infrastructure for what they're doing... but they have what they have and they're doing really cool things with it. Let's try to stick with encouragement instead of bitching... Ultimately... You get to say the same thing... One just makes them work better and faster and the other doesn't :).

You mean the Russian NV use as Bragging???

Didn't mean it that way :)… I had a buddy who had one and we used to strap it to a paintball gun when we played night games :). Was perfect for a paintball gun... that's about how far you could see with it IF wasn't already too dark out :)

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)