[REPORTED] Spitfire propeller with motion smoothing/ASW

Reflected

I get 10-15 less FPS when flying the Spitfire compared to the Mustang or the Sabre. I have a hunch that it's because of the spinning prop texture. When I turn my head enough to get it out of the screen my FPS increases to normal values.

Normally I get around 60-40 FPS minimum, but often 50-70, in the Spit, especially when looknig forward and zoomed in, it's down to 20.

specs: Win7 64, i7-920 at 3.2, GTX970 2G, 16G RAM

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get 10-15 less FPS when flying the Spitfire compared to the Mustang or the Sabre. I have a hunch that it's because of the spinning prop texture. When I turn my head enough to get it out of the screen my FPS increases to normal values.

Normally I get around 60-40 FPS minimum, but often 50-70, in the Spit, especially when looknig forward and zoomed in, it's down to 20.

specs: Win7 64, i7-920 at 3.2, GTX970 2G, 16G RAM

Have you turned off mirrors?

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Well the view of that spinning prop just has to be the most awesome feature of any prop a/c. As soon as I saw it, I fell in love with it. I sure hope they can get the fps back up and still keep the eye candy.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

I can also confirm, turning off the mirrors seems to solve the problem.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Interestingly it was fine for me in singleplayer, multiplayer i had to turn it off.

which is a shame as i actually found it useful

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

One thing I noticed is that, if you are flying directly away from the sun, the planes shadow can be seen in the prop disc. A nice feature that I can do without, if it affects the frame rate.

I am also getting much lower frame rates.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

I have a big hit on FPS with mirror on when compared to other modules.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

The mirrors in Spitfire seem to have a much higher image settings than in other modules - thus the noticeable FPS hit. I guess ED will just lower the settings down to bring the performance back.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I found the frame rate hit could be in excess of 40 FPS at times so i found a work around through trial and error.

1. Turn off mirrors in the "GAMEPLAY" menu.

2. Bound the "Toggle Mirrors" action to a button on my X55.

When you first use the bound button it selects the mirrors functioning as intended which can incur the frame rate hit. A second activation of the button leaves a static image of what was previously seen in the mirror and the frame rates return to normal. Toggle on and off as required.

Its not ideal but its an option to explore. Cheers.

Edited by SUNTSAG
update
  • Like 1

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I found the frame rate hit could be in excess of 40 FPS at times so i found a work around through trial and error.

1. Turn off mirrors in the "GAMEPLAY" menu.

2. Bound the "Toggle Mirrors" action to a button on my X55.

When you first use the bound button it selects the mirrors functioning as intended which can incur the frame rate hit. A second activation of the button leaves a static image of what was previously seen in the mirror and the frame rates return to normal. Toggle on and off as required.

Its not ideal but its an option to explore. Cheers.

Good Thinking :)

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

Obviously the prop texture is not the only thing causing the FPS drop. It may be one of several things but not the only thing. I also notice about 15 FPS less with the mirror on in the spit sometimes even 30FPS. Really hope something can be done about this as I quite like the mirror in the Spit.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Guys, why does everyone feel the need to hijack the thread and tell me about how big an FPS drop the mirror causes?

For the last time: I have my mirrors off. It's the propeller texture that is hitting my FPS massively.

Well for starters no one has hijacked your thread as clearly the title reads "Low FPS in Spitfire"..... People have shared their experiences to help and assist others on a subject that clearly will affect all users....in a bid to be helpful

Your specific issue I cant comment on as I have no prop issue affecting my frame rates.

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is also an FPS drop related to the prop - specifically when looking on the sun through it. By the way the propeller model in Spitfire is just great. Even changing prop pitch is animated.

On the other hand the FPS hit caused by looking on the sun through propeller is nowhere close to the drop of FPS related to the mirrors where on 1070 it's from 190 FPS to 70 when turning the mirror off/on.

Apologies, I thought this was a discussion thread on causes of Low FPS as per title. Perhaps you should log it as a bug with some driver details, dxdiag outputs and other relevant technical details so it can be looked at in more detail and return in Google searches for those with identical symptoms.

Guys, why does everyone feel the need to hijack the thread and tell me about how big an FPS drop the mirror causes?

For the last time: I have my mirrors off. It's the propeller texture that is hitting my FPS massively.

• Like 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Obviously the prop texture is not the only thing causing the FPS drop. It may be one of several things but not the only thing. I also notice about 15 FPS less with the mirror on in the spit sometimes even 30FPS. Really hope something can be done about this as I quite like the mirror in the Spit.

Indeed. I am getting as much as a 70fps drop from the mirror so it is definitely a factor if not a factor for the thread starter.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO