New engine overheat issues

baylor703

Took a break from DCS for a about half a year or so, and I've returned to find myself constantly killing the engine. Never had this problem before, so maybe there was an update?

I always keep the oil rads full open and the coolant on auto, and stay at the top of green for cruise. In combat, I'll go full open on the rpm and mani (no wep), but only for seven minutes or so, and the temperatures will stay within green. Nonetheless, when going back to cruise, the engine will usually die within 5 mins.

Is it more sensitive now? Does seven minutes at full kill the engine now even if you stay within green temps, or could it be something else? I can't imagine how you would even try to use WEP if that's the case.

WEP is certain engine dead

That's a shame, I don't remember it being like that in the past. Does opening up for six or seven minutes guarantee the engine kill now as well? Seems like it, but could there be other factors in play? I go gentle on the throttle, make sure RPM is up before mani, and mani goes down before rpm when cutting back.

That's a shame, I don't remember it being like that in the past. Does opening up for six or seven minutes guarantee the engine kill now as well? Seems like it, but could there be other factors in play? I go gentle on the throttle, make sure RPM is up before mani, and mani goes down before rpm when cutting back.

hmm it looks like you dont have temp problems but i keep oil door at auto position, green line is for cruise setting if you go full power its better to let oil got a little hotter red line no more then 5 minutes above 95 celcius on oil a cording to p-51 manual, on my end p-51 never dies after 61"/3000 rpm. i flown yesterday on Burning skies preaty much all time full power including full power climb, even i went in to vertical(ofc i let go on throttle when speed went down but i hit temp limit anyway, looks like short overheat dont harm engine much) exeeding coolant temp limit but engine keep running. so what i think is that you dont wait for good oil temp before t/o i alwayes let it warm up between 1000-1200 rpm until oil hit 40 celcius and just before t/o i open coolant door full to not overheat p-51 likes to do it especialy while you t/o with tail wind.

Another major thing dont idle engine at minimum rpm this may lead to fouling of sparkplug reducing power and increasing knock chance

Acording to manula just after landing set throttle for 1000 rpm while taxing to the ramp so simply no idle below 1000 in any scenario.

Thats why run up is so important before t/o it let clear spark plug fouling after taxing.

Acording to p-51 manual before landing if long low power cruise was used it is adviced to hit 61"/3000RPM for couple minutes to just clear the engine

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 5 weeks later...

I just encounter this BS.

I landed p-51, turned off engine and after couple minutes i heard seuizire bang, since then engien wont trun anymore. This is ridiculous.This is suposed to be the exeptional model of the real thing lol

Dice rolls and timers.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Embarrassingly, in my case, it wasn't the engine that was seizing. I was playing a mission where the fuel was low and as I hadn't played in a while and forgot to switch tanks, was simply running out of fuel.

So far, fortunately haven't encountered any overheat issues that you have grafspee. I run with the coolant on auto and the oil on manual full open (really no noticeable drag induced), and can go balls to the wall almost indefinitely if I keep the speed up. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.