Bad colour banding on the spinning propeller texture in 2.5.6.45317 Open Beta.

Art-J

Greetings Gentlemen.

It seems 2.5.6.45317 Open Beta introduced quite ugly colour banding on the spinning-prop texture in the Spitfire (I think we had similar problem once in the history of this module?).

Check the screenshots. I use the same, mostly high gfx settings as I did before the update and I could've sworn previous OB build had the nicely blurred texture known from other versions.

Shader files were deleted and rebuilt before taking these screens. Do you guys see the same thing happening on your configs?

I really hope it's not a result of intended attempt of optimizing performance. Spit prop used to cause issues for VR-players I recall and was always quite framerate heavy, but this banding is too much.

Cheers

Art

screen1.thumb.jpg.5b9fe5506dbc1412fe0e2465d225eaba.jpg

screen2.thumb.jpg.f1da39d9a9795bbda69a6cef73494a80.jpg

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Anyone has the latest stable DCS copy installed apart from OB one so that we can extract previous prop texture from it and use it as a mod for OB?

EDIT: OK, I've done it myself, using old 2.5.3 copy I had on my PC. These textures are 4 time bigger than the ones we've got in latest OB (I suppose that's the main reason why they got replaced), but at least the prop looks good again. I'm not sure If I can share them though - they're quite big, 130 MB or so, and I would have to use external filesharing service.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Textures propeller were completely redone, I'm sure it was a good intention, which in fact did not bring the right effect.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Two pairs of screens to show how 2.5.2 textures compare to 2.5.6 ones.

I understand the new ones use up 4 times less VRAM than the old ones, and some visual deterioration is a price to pay for that, but I'd rather see something between these two extremes implemented.

comp1.thumb.jpg.74030e942d7501f3008f014c6de045c3.jpg

comp2.thumb.jpg.7827e23887e2a4fb17bb517dff2a362a.jpg

Just adding a sidenote to this discussion. In my opinion this effect (both old and new versions) is not realistic. The effect is more cinematic and is related to the FPS used for obtaining a film picture. In real life the human eye does not see any propeller blades.

The pilot only sees a slight blur of a compete propeller disk, not blurred blades. Saying this from own experience flying Cessnas for 13 years. Smaller propeller but still a propeller.

^ You're right of course and I'm sure most of us on this forum are aware of it (the camera effect is more apparent on my screens than in game, where blades tend to blend more), moreover, DCS planes like 109 or Dora are already closer to real life in this aspect, so it can be done. The new textures on the Spit made the "cinematic" problem even worse, though.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info and the post Art-J, did not see it before.

It seems to be no performance improvement for me...

Indeed I did compress these textures like a couple of months ago to check if it could fix the problem of a VR user with the prop. In no VR the result was exactly the same as new prop textures, was looking horrible... There was no performance boost at all.

I understand Mustang, 109, and Dora has not this problem and indeed their cockpits perform much better in FPS, at least for me.

I agree that even if the effect is very subtle in these birds I do prefer that boost in the FPS and not having ugly artifacts in the prop that are "distracting" none the less...

In module BF-109 is no visual effect :( propeller even at low rpm speeds.

You can see prop disk in Bf109 in DCS.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still is an animation of the propeller bad, @NineLine are internal information about the repair.thank you.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...

This has been an issue forever. For some reason lots of these issues are being overlooked. The props on most of the aircraft are indeed unrealistic which I have posted about many times and it seems to be ignored.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=281472

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=276655

Also related to fps issues in piston aircraft: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=253448&page=6

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=280408&page=8

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

its crazy they model a beautiful plane, yet leave a single problem to bug the users for a long time. it doesnt bother me while flying, but for combat, its literally painful trying to see through ugly reflections, hilarious scratches on canopy, banding propeller. a kind person on user files section has modded props for all the warbirds and some helicopters and while its amateurish, it solves the problem.

i really cant understand why this was not done by the company itself.

@ bephanten I could'nt agree more,but the answer to your question is,as always with these modules...they've had their money,the sale is done and bugs are are a non profitable issue,harsh reality but reality all the same.

If this was not the case......the issue would've been fixed......I stand to be proved wrong.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

its crazy they model a beautiful plane, yet leave a single problem to bug the users for a long time. it doesnt bother me while flying, but for combat, its literally painful trying to see through ugly reflections, hilarious scratches on canopy, banding propeller. a kind person on user files section has modded props for all the warbirds and some helicopters and while its amateurish, it solves the problem.

i really cant understand why this was not done by the company itself.

It's possible that these bugs remain because the current version of DCS if going down the drain eventually and the module developers can't be bothered updating soon-to-be-obsolete modules anyway.

ED is working on a new graphics engine that uses Vulkan API for graphics, and there are also supposed to be major changes in the main simulation engine coming along, such as the damage modelling, initially for WW2 fighters, as well as improved VR support, and numerous other changes.

So, there's no initiative for continuing development of modules that already exist, when they're working on adapting them to the new simulation engine that hasn't even been released yet.

In other words, ironing out bugs like this might happen after the newer version has been released (Vulkan API) and not before, because they just have to re-code everything for the new version anyway, so there's no point in flogging a dead horse.

See what I mean?

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

• 1 month later...