Vr headset recommendations

Hi guys,

After watching videos on YouTube I'm tempted to check out what owning a VR headset is like. I have a system that can run one.

However I have never used one, none of them. I don't have a Facebook account either or use any social media so anything by Oculus is out as far as I am aware. What are my options, what are the specs to consider when buying a VR headset specifically for flight sims. I'll also be getting Sniper Elite VR when it is released.

Any helps appreciated. Cheers.

It's obviously very dependent on your system specs and what your budget is. But, when I read your post, I expect you have not experienced VR yet (so you'll be blown away whatever you buy) and are not interested to go all in (as in going for a top of the line flagship HMD).

Although definitely not the cheapest option, I'd suggest waiting until the HP Reverb G2 is released and get yourself a used Reverb G1 (version 2!).

If you share your system specs we could give you more suited advise though

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Hi thanks for the reply, system is as follows mate.

Amd 3600 cpu

X570 mobo

2080ti gpu

32gb ddr2 3200mhz

I'm definitely going to be looking to the used market. I was going to buy an Oculus Rift S but the idea of needing a Facebook account puts me off. I literally have no social media accounts at all.

Hi thanks for the reply, system is as follows mate.

Amd 3600 cpu

X570 mobo

2080ti gpu

32gb ddr2 3200mhz

I'm definitely going to be looking to the used market. I was going to buy an Oculus Rift S but the idea of needing a Facebook account puts me off. I literally have no social media accounts at all.

I feel you. I'm so glad I got rid of my Rift long before the Facebook drama.

Looking at your very up to date system, I stand by my initial suggestion to get a used Reverb G1 (or a new G2 if you got the spare money)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

If you are planning on playing not only flight sims, please: don´t buy a second hand G1 WMR headset.

And one thing: Sniper Elite will be a Facebook title (not a Steam one if I´m correct), so you will need to open a Facebook account to simplify things (or run it trought revive).

So, Right now: a G2 for Sims and Pc related stuff (much improved tracking and controllers than G1) and Facebook Quest 2 for the rest of mortals and VR starters.

That´s the way to go right now if you plan on keeping on VR for the future.

HL Alyx not on your priority list?

Man!: VR is in its infancy but is here to perdure as the future gaming plattform.

Once you try Vr it´s hard to get back on flat screen.

But VR is in the need of freeing yourself of the display cable (not that important on sims though).

HMD are very confusing these days. With all the leaks about features that don't interest me other than, resolution & refresh rate, FOV, comfort,ip adjustment, & sound. Mostly is it supported by DCS, & one other sim (not aircraft) that I play. I don't care so much about PC specs, ( I'll build a faster one) , or price, (trying to spend my kids inheritance). I've owned rift CV1, & S, but now with the FB thing, I'm not sure I want to continue with it. The other sim I play is only available at the rift store, or steam which I have no interest in either. A lot of things to consider about VR.

Edited by bobaz

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K, Win10 64, 32 GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe M.2, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti, Realteus ForceFeel Gaming Pad, HP Reverb G2

Thanks for pointing that out Leaderface! I had no idea I would need Facebook to play Sniper Elite VR. Its about the only first person shooter I really like. I do keep up with computer tech. However I will be a new user to VR and relatively naïve about it. I understand the refresh rates and resolution specs but I have no experience of the software that relates to it all.

I dont have any problem with Facebook I just dont use social media. I remember the days before mobile phones! Whatever pointless data about me Mr Zuckerberg would like to glean from my life he is welcome to. It was Sniper Elite VR being released soon that gave me the idea to VR out. I am actually quite happy playing DCS at 4k with a track ir. I might need to re think my options as my budget was up to about £400 used off eBay.

Thanks for all the replies guys, this really is one of the more polite and helpful forums. :thumbup:

Given the power under your pc cowl, you should maybe take into consideration the latest Pimax headsets (after owning Oculus DK2, Oculus CV1, Vive, Pimax 5k+, i had the chance to receive a Pimax 8kx, and that's quite a Graal of the VR world!! Those who tested it against the HP Reverb prefered the Pimax, because of the equivalent clarity/definition, but far better FOV. I'm just not fond of the "standart speaker" (Oculus CV1 headphones were the top), but you can change them - otherway an impressive headset!

Given the power under your pc cowl, you should maybe take into consideration the latest Pimax headsets (after owning Oculus DK2, Oculus CV1, Vive, Pimax 5k+, i had the chance to receive a Pimax 8kx, and that's quite a Graal of the VR world!! Those who tested it against the HP Reverb prefered the Pimax, because of the equivalent clarity/definition, but far better FOV. I'm just not fond of the "standart speaker" (Oculus CV1 headphones were the top), but you can change them - otherway an impressive headset!

I loved the wider FoV in 5K+. But in the end, the software made me jump to Reverb (that and added clarity - from 5K+)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Reverb is best for flight/ racing sims.

Index is best for other types of games which require a controller.

Since you intend to do both, its a tough choice between the two. But at least we got you down to two :D

New VR Simpit: Intel 10700K, MSI Seahawk X 1080Ti (waiting for 3080Ti or 3090), 32 GB 3600MHz RAM, HP Reverb, TM Warthog

Old VR Simpit: Intel 4790K, Asus Matrix 780Ti, 16GB RAM, HTC Vive

Thanks for pointing that out Leaderface! I had no idea I would need Facebook to play Sniper Elite VR. Its about the only first person shooter I really like.

Sniper Elite was advertised in the Facebook connect, but i think it will appear in Steam and PSVR too seeing the small letter in the video. (Maybe).

But, for the price: many people will get the G2 and the Quest 2 too.

I think Quest 2 will be a must have VR headset.

At that price (plus selling your cold soul to Zuckerberg) it may convert the VR in a Facebook monopoly...... Then the Congres, courts, etc....

But the VR finally will get popular thanks to Zuckerberg. There is not any competitor actually and in any near future. They are well ahead. (2-3 years ahead). It´s imposible to fight that.

Edited by Leaderface

Sniper Elite was advertised in the Facebook connect, but i think it will appear in Steam and PSVR too seeing the small letter in the video. (Maybe).

But, for the price: many people will get the G2 and the Quest 2 too.

I think Quest 2 will be a must have VR headset.

At that price (plus selling your cold soul to Zuckerberg) it may convert the VR in a Facebook monopoly...... Then the Congres, courts, etc....

But the VR finally will get popular thanks to Zuckerberg. There is not any competitor actually and in any near future. They are well ahead. (2-3 years ahead). It´s imposible to fight that.

Brace yourself for Chinese. When Qualcomm announced XR2 chipset, there were tons of Chinese partners announced.

Hi guys,

After watching videos on YouTube I'm tempted to check out what owning a VR headset is like. I have a system that can run one.

However I have never used one, none of them. I don't have a Facebook account either or use any social media so anything by Oculus is out as far as I am aware. What are my options, what are the specs to consider when buying a VR headset specifically for flight sims. I'll also be getting Sniper Elite VR when it is released.

Any helps appreciated. Cheers.

You can create facebook account and only use it for VR. Don't have to create facebook page or maintain it. I created facebook account since some mobile games required it and I use it for that only. I never get any ads.

I had Vive Pro with wireless option. And that wireless option is very nice to have for other VR experiences.

Quest 2 will be the most versatile headset for under $300. You can take it anywhere and use your fingers as controller. But I'd consider buying it only if 90hz refresh rate is proven to work.

Reverb 2 will be better for DCS. Higher resolution, lower latency, no compression.

Index would have best tracking. But I would only recommend it as upgrade to people who already have Vive line with sensors so they can get Index HMD only. Full Price just isn't worth it anymore.

Thanks for the reply Taz. Guys please excuse my ignorance here. If you can fill me in on one thing. Is there a difference between having a Facebook account for boring the world to death and having one just to access a few games. I ask because I do love my flight sims but I quite like the look of the upcoming Sniper Elite and Medal of Honour VR games.

I only stay away from social media because I had an ex who was obsessed with it to the point I felt like I was living in the Truman show. I'm not joking I built a shed.

If you can have an account to just access games without taking part in the rest of it. I'm not that bothered and I will get a rift s on eBay. It sounds like its all going that way no matter what.

Makes you appreciate DCS and this forum, Ed has made quite the little haven here. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the advise guys, I really was clueless on this one to be honest.

You have to create facebook account with real info. Real email and real phone number. That's same with google, Microsoft, Amazon... every other account as that's being used for authentication. But you can set your privacy setting to be private. No one will find you. Turn off all notifications. And even if someone find your FB page, if there's nothing on it, what good is it.

I just logged onto my fb account in over 6 months and there are bunch of messages and posts and ad posts which I just ignore. I get more ads from Amazon, Google and Youtube.

Edited by Taz1004

I finally got the Pimax 8kX

unmatched clarity, its 2 4k screens, 1 for each eye.

the FoV is adjustable from 90 degrees up to 170 degrees.

My only gripe is performance, but you can run it in 8kk+ mode, which lowers the input resolution and upscale to the dual 4k displays, but I haven't had to do it so far.

Compared to my OG Vive, 5k+ and Reverb, the 8kX blows them all out off the water. It just takes alot of horsepower to run.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

@Bossco82 : Don´t buy a second hand RIP-S (it´s really a dead platform from Facebook point of view).

Get a New Quest 2 for lesser price and better visuals than RIFT-s (when they update the Link to full quality, not at the launch date, but as a near update).

You will be able to enjoy ALL the games, not only the standalone ones.

And @Taz1004 is right (I have a pair of fake Facebook accounts just to loging on a pair of sites and follow a seminar with everything disabled and it allready works). But for the headsets you must do a real account, but just for signing in and log with that. (Just make private all your personal info and disable notifications. It takes a while disabling all that, but can be done).

I´m sure Facebook will be able to keep reading your stats anyway, but you won´t suffer too much with constant notifications, etc.

At 299 $ everybody will have one. Medal of honour, HL Alyx, Sniper, Walking Dead, etc.... Lots of fun right now (And a G2 or Pimax 8Kx for the pro DCS player).

But the Quest 2 will be inevitable.

Thanks for the reply Taz. Guys please excuse my ignorance here. If you can fill me in on one thing. Is there a difference between having a Facebook account for boring the world to death and having one just to access a few games. I ask because I do love my flight sims but I quite like the look of the upcoming Sniper Elite and Medal of Honour VR games.

I only stay away from social media because I had an ex who was obsessed with it to the point I felt like I was living in the Truman show. I'm not joking I built a shed.

If you can have an account to just access games without taking part in the rest of it. I'm not that bothered and I will get a rift s on eBay. It sounds like its all going that way no matter what.

Makes you appreciate DCS and this forum, Ed has made quite the little haven here. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the advise guys, I really was clueless on this one to be honest.

Are you wanting to go to Rift because of cost? There are better HMD even accounting for prices.

And I know everyone freaks out about FB and what they want to do. I left Rift because they fell behind to others and Rift-S was a disappointment at best. But Google reads every email for ads. And AMZN tracks everything you look at for the same reason. Not sure why FB's announcement is so bothersome.

Unless you use a VM to browse, and blow away the VM every time (and use duckduckgo/incognito mode) tracking by a vendor is impossible to avoid.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks for the reply Hansangb. I was tempted by the rift because a guy at work has offered me one boxed for £200, he knew I had been thinking of trying VR for ages.

As for Facebook, I could not care less what data about me is collected. I am not worried about that at all. Like you say all companies do that to some extent.

I have never got into social media because I just don't like the concept. I like to live a more private life. If I can use Facebook set it to private, not add anybody and nobody knows I am there. Then I am ok with that. I didn't know you could do that.

As for VR itself I wanted to try it as cheap as possible first because I don't know if I will even like it long term. I also get motion sickness at odd times. I driven go carts and rally cars in amateur teams but I get ill on rollercoasters! So if I but it and don't like it I can just stick it on eBay.

Thanks for the reply Hansangb. I was tempted by the rift because a guy at work has offered me one boxed for £200, he knew I had been thinking of trying VR for ages.

As for Facebook, I could not care less what data about me is collected. I am not worried about that at all. Like you say all companies do that to some extent.

I have never got into social media because I just don't like the concept. I like to live a more private life. If I can use Facebook set it to private, not add anybody and nobody knows I am there. Then I am ok with that. I didn't know you could do that.

As for VR itself I wanted to try it as cheap as possible first because I don't know if I will even like it long term. I also get motion sickness at odd times. I driven go carts and rally cars in amateur teams but I get ill on rollercoasters! So if I but it and don't like it I can just stick it on eBay.

£200 for Reverb is a great deal. The trick to VR is that you need to start slow. The minute you start to feel bad, stop and get some rest. Over a week or two, almost everyone gets over it.

Of course it helps if you have a beefy rig. Having said that, in the VR Subthread under INPUT/OUTPUT thread, a person with older rig just cranked the resolution down (to about Rift level) and had smooth experience.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I finally got the Pimax 8kX

unmatched clarity, its 2 4k screens, 1 for each eye.

the FoV is adjustable from 90 degrees up to 170 degrees.

My only gripe is performance, but you can run it in 8kk+ mode, which lowers the input resolution and upscale to the dual 4k displays, but I haven't had to do it so far.

Compared to my OG Vive, 5k+ and Reverb, the 8kX blows them all out off the water. It just takes alot of horsepower to run.

What kind of power...cpu,gpu,ram?Tell us...