i really miss that Static Radar Dome

mono6020

as the title says:

this was one of the most realistic look and feel static object mods for dcs.

anyone consider remaking this for 2.5.5?

i would make it myself if i had a clue how to do so.

it's a shame it doesn't work since 2.5.5 and there is no alternative.

i really don't like the ugly looking 2 mobile russian EWR's in game and it's very unrealistic to have them everywhere.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302681/

greetings

I miss this object too. It was a great simulator for the Peace Ruby radar sites on the SOH map. Still not sure why they were not part of the delivered map. I would try to build them myself they don't look that difficult but $1500/yr for 3ds max is too much for me and it sort of also explains why there are so few object addons being made by people.

ED should really prioritize Blender to be recommended for modeling and animating.

Completely agree. Then maybe we would see more user created content for DCS. This franchise has been out for the better part of a decade. Sad the lack of support for user created content or even the lack of additional statics by ED for that matter. Major oversight

• 2 months later...
ED should really prioritize Blender to be recommended for modeling and animating.

I agree 100% with you guys.

Nvidia, Epic Games (Unreal), Ubisoft... They are already trowing money to Blender, because, believe it or not, it is the future, it is already the future NOW.

Hundreds of downloads every day from DCS user files pages means obviously High Interest in more content.

More content means more fun, more possibilities, bigger community... that translates quite obviously in more money for ED at the EOD.

ED creating a fully working and supported Blender Exporter seems like a logical step.

Personally, I refuse to install a pirate version of 3D Max to be able to create content for DCS. Autodesk giant is "renting" his licenses for huge amounts of money, money that I do not want to pay. Why should I? if I have a much better and stable software for free?

Blender is not Photoshop's Gimp (no disrespect for GIMP here, I think we know what I am talking about).

Blender is All Mighty !!! :]

You can get a legitimate educational license for 3DS if you are intending to study this skill, by applying for one on their site. Lasts quite a while and shouldnt be a barrier. You can even import your work to 3DS from Blender, or to someone who does have a legitimate copy, assuming you have something that is worth the effort for. The only thing you really need 3DS for is the plugin to convert to EDM. And I think someone did a blender version (that's prolly broken by now). Modellers aren't the issue with DCS, it's competent developers for flight models and the avionics.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Hi Pikey,

Autodesk won't give any license until you can prove to them that you are part of a certified course or school.

I know it because I was a Maya teacher for a certified 3D school a couple of years ago and I owned one of those licenses you speak about. Files were not compatible between commercial and student/learning versions, still, as you point out, could be exported to other formats Fbx, Obj etc.

However, this "workaround" is more focused on Static Objects as any complex setup with animation or blend shapes could be a nightmare to transfer to any other platform, what makes the whole point of looking for a functional exporter for a platform like Blender.

In any case, working in any mod hoping somebody else with a paid license is gonna export them for you seems indeed pretty sad. Even more if "assuming you have something that is worth the effort for" is going to be for someone else to judge...

There are tons of mods here and there, liveries, Scripts... Some have much better quality than others, this does not mean that people do not enjoy them when they are shared. I think it is for the users to judge, and they won't if the work of those with no resources does not see the light.

I agree that "modelers" might not be the issue and that there might be fewer developers that are interested in important topics like flight dynamics.

In any case, we have plenty of professional modules here in DCS, from which I own most of them, but we lack tons of props (many of those we have that are really outdated), animated civilians and troops, buildings (like these nicely done Static Radar Domes by BB_BB) and whatever people would like to drop in (have seen recently even some Dinosaurs :]).

Blender version unofficial addon is over there yes, there are people like DoctorStrop taking it to the limits with his quite advanced BD-5J experiment, (still, the addon is not supported by ED and has tons of limitations):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNZMg6_mPI5R9I6o2A4uE2w/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=2

Addon was developed years ago by NickD aka ndevenish and has been quite recently forked by madwax who seems that is working on a new version for Blender 2.8

Giving the chance to a lot bigger group of people to do some stuff with a Blender "official" integration for DCS can not be a step back guards. :music_whistling: