What Computer to buy?!?

Hey everyone, years ago I started out on DCS A-10C but being poor at the time and having little free time couldn't really get into it. Things have changed and I super stoked to be able to get back into the community.

So trying to get started I need a good computer to run everything. I know almost nothing about computers and am trying to learn on the fly. I had a bad experience years ago trying to build a machine online from somewhere like Ibuypower and ended up spending the little money I had for a computer that didn't work like it should have (maybe due to the component combinations....I honestly don't know). You guys are the experts so I want to get your thoughts. Here's what Im trying to do:

I want to run DCS World (A-10C and F/A-18C with the expansion maps) at the highest settings and use the new Oculus S VR Headset. Eventually once I learn what Im doing I want to join a virtual squadron and fly online. So basically I need a hardcore system that can do it all.

My Budget is around $3k to $3.5k for the computer. I was looking at this Xforce RTX Pro for $3290. Here are the stats:

Intel Eight Core i-9 9900K Processor overclocked to 4.9GHz

Intel Z390 Chipset Motherboard

Can display X-Plane, MSFS X, Prepar3d, or other games on one to four screens

VR (Virtual Reality) Ready

NEW - Fast USB 3.1

32 Gigabytes of DDR-4 3600MHz RAM (supports up to 64GB)

2 Terabyte Solid State Hard Drive at 1800MB/s (SSD)

Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti with 11GB GDDR6

850-Watt Power Supply with dual CPU power connectors to support 8-core overclocking

802.11ac Wireless-AC (WIFI)

Gigabit Ethernet Port

Dual M.2 Ports on Motherboard for adding a second high-speed SSD

Multiple USB 2.0, 3.0, and 3.1 ports

Also one USB Type-C™ port

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

Windows 10

Two Year Warranty

Dimensions 7.9 in x 17.7 in x 17.9 in

Supports one, two, three, or four displays

Any help, insight, or other suggestions you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Zack!

i9-9900k, Asus ROG Strix Z390-3, 32GB DDR4-3000, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD| Reverb G2| Custom Simpit- A variety of grips (TM/Virpil) on floor mounted TM Base, WinWing Super Tauris Throttles, Virpil Collective, TM Pedals, TM MFDs

Paid Module Wishlist: AH-64A, T-38, B-1B, U-2, MH-60 Pavehawk, A-10A

Map Wishlist: NAS Oceana (w/Norfolk and Expansive Ocean), Korea (Modern), Cuba, Columbia

Ai Wishlist: Ships, SOF infantry, SOF Vehicles, AH/MH-6, P8, 

The budget is just for the Computer? you already have the Monitors and the Joystick/Throttle ?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Yeah the budget is just for the computer. I have the Warthog Hotas, and have alotted other funds for the Rift S, monitor, exc.

I figure that should be a sufficient budget for a high end system, right?

i9-9900k, Asus ROG Strix Z390-3, 32GB DDR4-3000, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD| Reverb G2| Custom Simpit- A variety of grips (TM/Virpil) on floor mounted TM Base, WinWing Super Tauris Throttles, Virpil Collective, TM Pedals, TM MFDs

Map Wishlist: NAS Oceana (w/Norfolk and Expansive Ocean), Korea (Modern), Cuba, Columbia

... I figure that should be a sufficient budget for a high end system, right?

Yes, correct .. it's actually more than enough :) you are purchasing the top graphics card available, and also the top consumer processor available.

I agree with your GPU choice, as DCS is very demanding with the GPU when doing VR ... but for the processor you can save a bit of $$$ looking for an equivalent processor but without so many cores, as DCS only uses two cores ... see for example this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243785

Same with the SSD drive: DCS with all the Maps and all the Modules uses about 200 GB, so a 2 TB drive is about 10 times more .. as the SSD prices are constantly coming down over time, it isnt a good idea to purchase too much capacity that will sit unused ... a 1 TB unit will serve you just as well ... and on the future you can add another SSD if and when its actually needed.

The remaining of your list seems ok to me, tough I prefer wired mouses as they are lighter (having no batteries) and thus easier on my wrist.

Best regards,

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Awesome info, thank you so much....this is all very confusing for me lol

For what you want to do, that's top shelf equipment. I tend to go overboard with 1,000W power supply but what you have listed should be fine.

VR is awesome and I think you'll enjoy it quite a bit. Glad things have turned around (based on the budget of your PC!)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Do not do it now, wait.

:thumbup:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I also took at look at your proposed PC specification: it really is a very nice, top end PC. All great components without any obvious weak links.

There are various arguments out there to wait for the new AMD processors, but I really would not bother given your criteria. A system based around RTX2080Ti and 9900K/OC 4.9... you will get a current top end DCS performance with that rig.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

- meltdown, spectre, etc.....

- heat

- some more drawbacks that make it worth waiting for.

The Bios and OS patches alone to fix the silicon throw you back in IPC if the right workload comes along. The 9th series has no noteworthy fixes yet

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

- meltdown, spectre, etc.....

- heat

- some more drawbacks that make it worth waiting for.

The Bios and OS patches alone to fix the silicon throw you back in IPC if the right workload comes along. The 9th series has no noteworthy fixes yet

All true. But for gaming rig? I don't know that *anyone* would notice.

Could the AMD's upcoming July release be a block buster? For *gaming* I don't know that it will be. There is a history of AMD releasing reasonable prices for a lot cores and for the right workloads, it can't be beat. But for a gaming rig? AMD hasn't convinced me yet. Should you wait for July? There's no harm in waiting as the prices won't go up. You've waited this long, so waiting another month may not be that big of a deal.

Full disclosure: I opted to pay way more so I could get my Reverb sooner. So clearly, I don't follow my own advice. :D

PS: I'm not an Nvidia bigot, an Intel bigot, or even DCS bigot. I will jump ship the *second* another platform gives me a better experience. But to date, no one has.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

all great info, thanks everyone for the replies. Looking forward to seeing you guys in the skies online.