[NO BUG] OBOGS required at low altitude

Preendog

When at low altitudes, or even sitting on the ground with the canopy open, turning off OBOGS makes the player black out and die.

Not sure if this is a bug or intended behavior.

If intended behavior, is there a workaround? I've had my pilot die from an OBOGS failure because I couldn't figure out how to tell him to take his mask off.

Thx

edit: This moved to the bug forum, so replication instructions (latest stable version as of Jun 23):

1. Spawn in hot F/A-18 on ground.

2. Open canopy.

3. Turn OBOGS flow knob to 0.

4. Zzz

Edited by Preendog

• ED Team

I don't think this is a bug,

The pilots state is wearing a mask in DCS so turning off oxygen would lead to blackout.

The point I am making is there is no mask on / off option in DCS F/A-18 currently.

I will try to confirm

Edit: Confirmed it is due to DCS not having a mask on or off state.

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

IIRC, you're fine with OBOGS off on the ground and at low altitude. It's the OXY FLOW knob that matters. OBOGS comes into play at higher altitudes.

I think the reasoning was that the pilot in DCS wears the mask even on the ground, so cutting oxygen supply would indeed cause you to faint, or something like that.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

It's the OXY FLOW knob that matters.

Confirmed. Thanks for pointing that out.

In fact, the OBOGS on/off switch doesn't seem to do anything at all. Cruising at 45,000 with it off and I was fine. Maybe that's a bug :)

edit: But I am still curious if the mask has a suction-operated check valve that allows breathing ambient air when there is no supply from OBOGS. Otherwise you'd just be sucking on the mask and the hose.

Edited by Preendog

I takes about 20-22 seconds until the pilot dies after an OBOGS failure.

https://streamable.com/c79n5

I dont know, but i can hold my breath longer than that without dying.

After that, the pilot has Emergency Oxygen in his survival pack that lasts about 10 minutes.

I really dont get why this is labeled as "NO BUG" without a comment. Some explanation would be really appreciated.

image.png

• ED Team
.Impact;3959316']I takes about 20-22 seconds until the pilot dies after an OBOGS failure.

https://streamable.com/c79n5

I dont know, but i can hold my breath longer than that without dying.

After that, the pilot has Emergency Oxygen in his survival pack that lasts about 10 minutes.

I really dont get why this is labeled as "NO BUG" without a comment. Some explanation would be really appreciated.

Hi,

My post above explains why.

I will bring this up with the team, but currently the mask state is on, any event that prevents oxygen flow will create a black out situation.

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2