Any Plans In The Pipeline To Make Cockpit More Legible?

Tinkickef

Apologies if this has already been covered, I did try search but nothing came up, even though I dimly recall something being said about it.

I have been out of the DCS loop since my second 2080TI failed before Easter and I just got it back.

Since I am on release version, I only had the F14 about a week before the card blew up and was just learning how to cold start it with Jester assisting. Of course, now I have a new card, hopefully modified not to blow up again, I have pretty much forgotten how to start it.

I use VR exclusively and cannot read any placard, caution light (except those on the UFC) or labels in the cockpit as everything appears to be worn out or dirty. This makes learning to fly the beast very difficult. Even VR zoom appears not to be working at the moment. I had forgotten how worn the cockpit was compared to the Hornet.

If it was a club C172 I would have written it up as a flight safety issue. In the UK, all placards should be clearly legible. Maybe this is not the case in the military.

During the waiting for release, someone mentioned that different cockpits were going to be available, some more worn than others. Is this still a fact?

Not knocking Cobra, his artistry is phenomenal, but for VR users, just a tad overdone, a form over function thing.

I have a Reverb on order, but I doubt even Reverb will be able to make the cockpit readable.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

There are some cockpit mods out there to help with this but I think Heatblur should do something official in this regards.

Hardly fly the Tomcat for this some other reasons

I am new to flying aircraft such as Tomcat without hud display and illegible gauges and labels make matters worse for me.

I do agree with the safety concern pose by the present cockpit state of the F-14 if it were a real aircraft.

VR is a pain when looking to identify buttons and switches.

How hard is it to get a clean and new cockpit?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Can’t speak to VR, but in the meantime, have you turned up console and instrument lights even in daytime? I now always run cockpit lights and it seems to help a great deal. Do agree that hopefully there’s a later option to see better, particularly for new folks

I do agree with the safety concern pose by the present cockpit state of the F-14 if it were a real aircraft.

The cockpit is prefectly fine IMHO. Some labels are weathered but most of them are clearly readable. Its the low resolution of the gen1 VR headsets thats the problem. But anyway, if you are a rated pilot you dont' need any labels anyway, because you should know every switch/light from memory.

The tomcat is particularly good vor VR IMHO because it does not have any hard to read MFDs and HUD. The primary flight instruments are either steam gauges or ridiculously large (talking about VDI). For these, you only need to make out the position of the needle on the respective gauge, which you can see perfectly even on the vsi in the CV1. The numbers themselfes shouldn't matter, as you know which tick is which value after flying a couple of times.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

There are some cockpit mods out there to help with this but I think Heatblur should do something official in this regards.

Hardly fly the Tomcat for this some other reasons

I am new to flying aircraft such as Tomcat without hud display and illegible gauges and labels make matters worse for me.

VR is a pain when looking to identify buttons and switches.

How hard is it to get a clean and new cockpit?

Agree! +1

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Pixel density of minimum 1.5 will change everything for you.

Currently running 2.2.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

But anyway, if you are a rated pilot you dont' need any labels anyway, because you should know every switch/light from memory.

I get it with a rated pilot getting to know the switches/light from memory. I would venture to say before the rated pilot get the system by memory, the would used a new/fairly legible cockpit to get the familiarization.

In my case, I am no rated pilot hence my frustration.

Startup tutorial is no go because some of the test switches and radio switches are illegible even without vr and when zoomed in.

My PD in my vr is at 1.5 and helped in front panel and gauges .

I keep wondering why the present level of weathering is applicable to the cockpit alone and not affecting external modeling of the F-14 Tomcat body. An aircraft with that much rust and worn would definitely have some pilling paint and cracks around the body.

I am really curious to know from those who would know.

If in real life and the F-14 Tomcat was still in commission, would a highly weathered cockpit like we have in dcs now be allowed to continue flying?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

In my case, I am no rated pilot hence my frustration.

I undestand that and my response was to the question whether such a weathered cockpit would be tolerated in service and the answer is yes for the aforementioned reason. I've seen a Viper pit that looked even worse and that was an active USAF airframe.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

Thanks fellows

Interesting info on the usability of weathered cockpit and all that.

I would like to see a option of new/near new or the weathered one.. as a new F14 pilot it does make it hard to learn the cockpit
+1

I believe in the last two update or so, Heatblur said something about making this open but it not working AFAIK. One the mod fellow could not get to work.

I am a new virtual pilot of the F-14. I need a new cockpit to get acquainted with the aircraft.

Edited by Eaglewings

According to the 'Official' advertising video from the F-14 sales page...the aircraft should feature a new 'Dynamic Cockpit System', where the cockpit changes, including weathering, based on the airframe you are in. Even the seat cushions..apparently.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/tomcat/ 05:24

So yeah, not sure when that feature is being implemented. Probably the same time as the 'Two free Campaigns' also mentioned.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]