When Mi-8 will come out of beta?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
It looks amazing but tail rotor pitch is still not simulated. No manual yet and main rotor head is poorly modeled.

more specifically about rotors please: what is not working? What do you mean "poorly modeled":shocking:

Edited by PilotMi8

It looks amazing but tail rotor pitch is still not simulated. No manual yet and main rotor head is poorly modeled.

What's taking so long guys? if you start a project and you are really close to end it, please, finish it! :)

BTW: A flight manual exists since December 2014 :music_whistling:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134795

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

more specifically about rotors please: what is not working? What do you mean "poorly modeled":shocking:

Tail rotor pitch is always the same (all the blades are at 0º). Blade agle of attack should vary depending on the amount of pedal input.

Main rotor head is from the AI Mi-8, not reworked. Compare it with the Ka-50 or Huey rotor heads...

Nice draft.

May I ask kindly what apart from bombing you are missing in this 224 page manual?

Edited by FSKRipper

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Tail rotor pitch is always the same (all the blades are at 0º). Blade agle of attack should vary depending on the amount of pedal input.

Main rotor head is from the AI Mi-8, not reworked. Compare it with the Ka-50 or Huey rotor heads...

I am understood it is about the 3D model!:)Ok-ok, will be done!

I am understood it is about the 3D model!:)Ok-ok, will be done!

I honestly hoped that most people would judge eye candy as a bottom point on the to do list...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eye candy is as important immersion factor as physics or sound. With today's hardware, there's no need to compromise one for improving the other. We're supposed to be raising the bar, not settling for less. If BST managed to do a detailed animations of both rotors on Huey, then they're surely more than qualified to do the same for the "Hip". I'm happy to see it on the "to do" list.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Eye candy is as important immersion factor as physics or sound. With today's hardware, there's no need to compromise one for improving the other. We're supposed to be raising the bar, not settling for less. If BST managed to do a detailed animations of both rotors on Huey, then they're surely more than qualified to do the same for the "Hip". I'm happy to see it on the "to do" list.

Don't misunderstand me, I like eye candy but as mentioned I see it way down on the list.

But if you prefer an animated rotorhead in the F2 view to a complete manual, training missions, working interior and system modeling you may have bought the wrong game :music_whistling:?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For me eye candy is really only important for the office or the pit, but even that comes after the model and functionality.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

But if you prefer an animated rotorhead in the F2 view to a complete manual, training missions, working interior and system modeling you may have bought the wrong game :music_whistling:?

The most lame argument I've ever read. As you wrote yourself. this GAME is not a professional full motion Simuator but a GAME. There is no reason at all to neglect the visual qualities especialyl since Simulatiosn always tend to be 10 years behind the standard in the gfx department. Example: the smokepods are misslaigned on the Su-25 pylons since FC1.
Edited by Beagle One

Of course it depends on what you are talking about.

If you mean "does it compare to a £1,000,000 motion simulator" that tracks a specific aircraft then perhaps you are correct. but does such a contrivance even have an external aircraft model?

I dunno!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Of course it depends on what you are talking about.

If you mean "does it compare to a £1,000,000 motion simulator" that tracks a specific aircraft then perhaps you are correct. but does such a contrivance even have an external aircraft model?

I dunno!

We are currenty talking about a game that features a reasonable good simulation of flight, THis gae also allows you to see the aircraft from the exterior and in a flyby and of course you can watcn replays of your flight. I would not consider substandard models (MiG-29) or missplacement of loadout or even a bad lighting engine and a old rotorhead absolutely no issue.

the graphical representation in indeed an issue because this is still a game, used for recreation, no matter how serious one is trying to play it.

it shoud therefor be trated lieke a game in 2015 and in 2015 exterior or interior models, effects and lighting do matter. You do not attract a fresh playerbase with a title that is technically 15 years old.

Currently it seems the average DCS user is 30-50 and just because we are used to the times when flight sims had only brown and green poygones does not mean the graphics do not play a major role.

Thats in fact what the whole DCSW 2.0 is primarily about... a grafics overhaul.

writing to someone he does not belong to the appropriate customer group because he demands adequate models and gfx for 2015 is definatly not the right attitude.

Edited by Beagle One

The comparison was a full pro model to a desk top computer model if you read the original post correctly.

The answer I make is regarding the comparison to whether such a pro model has an external model period.

If you follow the thread all other requirements are revealed by other questions and answers.

Don't misunderstand me, I like eye candy but as mentioned I see it way down on the list.

Usually in game making, gfx artists do the gfx, while coders do the coding. I don't know the employees at BST studio, but I don't think it works very different. So the guy responsible for the infamous rotorhead animation can possibly help with the manual or maybe even some mission making, but he sure won't help much (if at all) with coding the aircraft systems.

Again, they did the animation for Huey, so it's not like the will have to hire new workers or re-qualify their staff to do the same for the Hip.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I honestly hoped that most people would judge eye candy as a bottom point on the to do list...

I agree.

Some MP combat servers all you get is your cockpit internal view and out the windows. I don't get an active F10 map other than maybe my position on it and I cannot see my aircraft skin. There are no other F-keys allowed to operate in game.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I am one of those sickos who goes into exterior view sometimes and repeatedly hits the flyby button. The detail in the models is just too good not to enjoy.

Of course I am never ever around any aviation of any kind in my day to day so I guess I'm not jaded the way some people might be. The machines still have bit of magic to them and I don't have any scale models so maybe the exterior views are a way to enjoy that aspect.

I'm happy for any improvements to LOD0, the more detail the better. Just my opinion.

I agree.

Some MP combat servers all you get is your cockpit internal view and out the windows. I don't get an active F10 map other than maybe my position on it and I cannot see my aircraft skin. There are no other F-keys allowed to operate in game.

MP is not the strong side of DCS:W. If those few MP players you can see at a time were the main customer base ED would be bancrupt for years.

While I also enjoy detailed, beautiful models and take loads of screenshots sometimes, I also agree that as far as sim development go, eye candy should be the bottom at the list of importance. Surely in DCS too, there are way more important stuff to improve, and everytime I see people scream for stuff along the lines of "more prettyness please", "wing flex / condensation vapour please", "this here rivet is 1.3 degrees off", I cringe a little...

Especially when there are much more important stuff to ask for like better combat AI, more stability especially in multiplayer and with triggers, lua scripts and many objects, better missile performance, and well... completing things that are in beta, which is the actual topic here anyway :).

So, in my personal, and humble opinion, while rotor blades animation being reversed should ideally be fixed, it lies somewhere closer to the bottom of the list of "Mi-8 should be fixed things", than to even middle of it :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

While I also enjoy detailed, beautiful models and take loads of screenshots sometimes, I also agree that as far as sim development go, eye candy should be the bottom at the list of importance. Surely in DCS too, there are way more important stuff to improve, and everytime I see people scream for stuff along the lines of "more prettyness please", "wing flex / condensation vapour please", "this here rivet is 1.3 degrees off", I cringe a little...

Especially when there are much more important stuff to ask for like better combat AI, more stability especially in multiplayer and with triggers, lua scripts and many objects, better missile performance, and well... completing things that are in beta, which is the actual topic here anyway :).

So, in my personal, and humble opinion, while rotor blades animation being reversed should ideally be fixed, it lies somewhere closer to the bottom of the list of "Mi-8 should be fixed things", than to even middle of it :).

Belsimtek is not ED.They don't have to fix neither Multiplayer issues nor Missile performance and trakcing issues. All they should care about is their modules.