Chuck's Mi-8 Guide

What can I say.... .... :)

By the way thank you again, you showed me some errors to be corrected on Mi-8 English Cockpit. Thanks man!...

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

What can I say.... .... :)

By the way thank you again, you showed me some errors to be corrected on Mi-8 English Cockpit. Thanks man!...

Well I can only hope that Belsimtek will come with an english cockpit by themselves. You did a terrific job, but I'd like to have an english cockpit without having to install a mod for it.

Thanks a lot Chuck!!! Great guide.

I've got just one question, and i'm sorry if its obvious or I've just not understood but you say:

The VHF/UHF P-863 command radio set is used for Air-to-Air and Air-to-Ground primary communications (flight & ATC calls).

• Note: Can also be used for ADF radio navigation

How do you actually set this up for ADF on a frequency you set using the control wheels? I can use the ARC-9 OK but I can't work out the magical combination of switches for P-863.

I know in the Huey that ADF on the UHF radio isnt actually modelled.

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Thanks a lot Chuck!!! Great guide.

I've got just one question, and i'm sorry if its obvious or I've just not understood but you say:

How do you actually set this up for ADF on a frequency you set using the control wheels? I can use the ARC-9 OK but I can't work out the magical combination of switches for P-863.

I know in the Huey that ADF on the UHF radio isnt actually modelled.

That note should have been applied to the R-828, not the R-863. I'll make the correction.

Edited by Charly_Owl

That note should have been applied to the R-828, not the R-863. I'll make the correction.

Ah right, don't quite feel such a numpty for not getting it working

Thanks again!

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

• 2 weeks later...

An extremely well made guide to the Magnificent 8, nice one Chuck.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• 1 month later...
An extremely well made guide to the Magnificent 8, nice one Chuck.

Glad you like it.

I hope Belsimtek eventually gives a default english cockpit so we don't have to re-install Devrim's English Cockpit mod all the time. It would make learning the cockpit so much easier.

Glad you like it.

I hope Belsimtek eventually gives a default english cockpit so we don't have to re-install Devrim's English Cockpit mod all the time. It would make learning the cockpit so much easier.

Have you considered using JSGME with Devrim's cockpit? Just unload before DCS update and load back in after. Good for a lot of mods actually.

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

Have you considered using JSGME with Devrim's cockpit? Just unload before DCS update and load back in after. Good for a lot of mods actually.

Of course I did. But these "english" cockpits should IMHO come with the game itself and should not require the installation of a mod.

The MIG-21 has it. The Ka-50 has it... I don't see why the Mi-8 (and the MiG-15 for that matter) shouldn't have it as well.

I think this is open for discussing...

While I was making English cockpit for FC3 SU aircrafts, some said "you don't have to bother making it, let the aircraft be with original state - with RUS language." etc...

Some would like to see English labeled cockpit, some would like to use as authentic cockpit.

Maybe that's why module company releases the module only with original cockpit view...

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Hi Chuck,

Many many thanks for this awesome manual (content and layout)!

I appreciate the large format and the font size makes it very readable.

I think you are the one who wrote manuals for IL-2 BOS aircrafts too?

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

Hi Chuck,

Many many thanks for this awesome manual (content and layout)!

I appreciate the large format and the font size makes it very readable.

I think you are the one who wrote manuals for IL-2 BOS aircrafts too?

Aye, same guy.

I also added a small section for Night Vision Goggles in the Mi-8 and UH-1 guides. It's little details like that that are often overlooked that make this helicopter a real treat to fly.

Edited by Charly_Owl
  • Like 1

Oh for F. sake, there ARE night vision goggles in Mi-8??? Unmodded one? So all these pathetic crashes I had while trying to land on an oil rig at night could have been avoided? Good to know :D.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

All right Chuck.

Tu es vraiment incroyable, merci encore camarade !

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
Couldn't find it anymore :-(

Its a pity, it seems that Chuck got disenchanted with the DCS user community and took them down :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB