F/A-18C Cockpit Plans and Parts

LynxDK

Hey guys.

As for the A-10C im making a F/A-18C cockpit plans and parts, and i thought it was time to show you a little bit of it.

Before i list any pictures i want to say, that all the panels and parts are still only Dummy Panels, no functions and no Backlight, however all the backcasings are all 3D printed, which have been sanded and painted.

When im ready to sell these parts, i will sell the raw 3D printed Casings, but ill make a "howto" guide on how to make them look like they do in these pictures, so here you can see how they can look.

First let me show you a Graphics, where you can see all the MIP... the entire cockpit and panels comes next :)

f-18.mip.jpg

And here come some of the prototypes:

Right and Left Annunciator Panels:

f-18c_annunciator_prototypes_1.JPGf-18c_annunciator_prototypes_2.JPG

Right and Left DDI Prototypes:

f-18c_ddi_prototypes_1.JPG

f-18c_ddi_prototypes_2.JPG

f-18c_ddi_prototypes_3.JPG

f-18c_ddi_prototypes_4.JPG

Engine Management prototype:

f-18c_engine_management_panel_prototype.JPG

HDG Panel Prototype:

f-18c_hdg_prototype.jpg

HUD Panel Prototype:

f-18c_hud_prototype_1.JPG

Instrument Prototype Bezels:

f-18c_instrument_bezel_prototypes.JPG

Jettison Station Select Prototype Panels:

f-18c_jettison_station_select_panel_prototypes.JPG

Master Arm Panel Prototype:

f-18c_master_arm_panel_prototype_1.JPG

f-18c_master_arm_panel_prototype_2.JPG

Spin Control panel prototype:

f-18c_spin_control_panel_prototype_1.jpg

f-18c_spin_control_panel_prototype_2.jpg

UFC Prototype:

f-18c_ufc_prototype_1.JPG

f-18c_ufc_prototype_2.JPG

f-18c_ufc_prototype_3.JPG

More will follow.

• Like 1

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

I need to win the lottery.

Looks fantastic, Lynx.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Amazing work my friend!

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

These look absolutely amazing.

I'm really tempted to build a UFC+HUD panel (already have two thrustmaster MFDs and am considering a third). Am confident enough of my design and 3D modelling skills, even though my day job is animation rather than manufacturing related - the few bits I've had printed by shapeways have turned out perfectly. Very much a novice when it comes to electronics, but thought I could manage with bodnar board of some description.

If possible, at some point I'd really appreciate a build list for the various switches required. Browsing online stores for things like rotary encoders makes my brain bleed. Fortunately I'm using VR so don't have to worry about displays.

Subscription added, can't wait to see more progress.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Definitely want some of those !

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you everyone, for all your nice words.

They are awesome Lynx - are they 3D printed and laser cut?

The Panels are milled and engraved Acrylic, the Casings are 3D printed, which is then sanded down and painted so you cant see the print lines.

I dont Lasercut Panels since it wont give a good result.

If possible, at some point I'd really appreciate a build list for the various switches required. Browsing online stores for things like rotary encoders makes my brain bleed. Fortunately I'm using VR so don't have to worry about displays.

All the switches and rotaries we use will eventually be available in our webshop :)

Awesome work! Do you have a monitor picked out that you'll use with the DDI?

All these Panels are Dummy's for now, which mean the only look good.

And all the displays are meant to be backprojected. This will be much cheaper for the private Cckpit builder, to buy a decent Projector instead of alot of different sized monitors to place behind.

For the backprojecting to work on this cockpit, i will have to make some changes to the backcasing im sure, but thats all in the future.

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

All these Panels are Dummy's for now, which mean the only look good.

And all the displays are meant to be backprojected. This will be much cheaper for the private Cckpit builder, to buy a decent Projector instead of alot of different sized monitors to place behind.

For the backprojecting to work on this cockpit, i will have to make some changes to the backcasing im sure, but thats all in the future.

Interesting... I'll have to keep my eye on what you come up with. :thumbup:

Wow Lynx, you've done a fantastic job. Can't wait to see the rest of your panels. Any chance you will make working landing and hook panels? These I would most certainly buy off you.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Lynx is the UFC planned to use LED displays or is it too planned to be back projected?

How would the back projecting work where the front faces of the various panels may be at different angles?

Wow Lynx, you've done a fantastic job. Can't wait to see the rest of your panels. Any chance you will make working landing and hook panels? These I would most certainly buy off you.

Yes we will make all panels fully backlit with working switches, for running with DCS-BIOS in time :)

Lynx is the UFC planned to use LED displays or is it too planned to be back projected?

How would the back projecting work where the front faces of the various panels may be at different angles?

The UFC is also planned to be run backprojected, its true that different angles can be a challenge, however the only plane i really see that as a bigger problem with is the F-16.... However we are working on solutions :)

Do you guys have any plans for doing the F-14 and/or F-15E when they arrive? I’d buy the whole lot of panels for the F-15E :-)

I will not say no, but we have so much to do and so little time :) But if there is interest in those panels, of course :)

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

Very Excited to follow this project!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

• 1 month later...