New MP server - launch DCS with no graphic card

Hi all,

I am trying to setup a dedicated server but I am currently stuck with the following issue: I can't start DCS due to the lack of DirectX support (see screenshot).

My aim is to to put in place a 24/7 server (Win server 8 R2 SP1, Intel i5 4670K/RAM 16 Go/SSD 120 GO/250Mbps), with automated DCS restart (autoIt script) every hour if no one is connected, server reboot on a week basis, slmod (modified) administration, LoTATC support...... once I will be able to pass the first step :D

I know that you answered a hundred times this questions, but I still fail. I am OK with coding/linux sysadmin, but feel like an alien into Windows world :cry:.

Thank you for your help !

screen01.thumb.png.30f89a888467422f73bbf78d6f499e0e.png

Edited by galevsky06

You need a graphics card.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Already done, but still crahsing

When executing C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe, the crash comes from:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\DXRenderer.dll

and when executing C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\Launcher.exe, the crash comes from:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\ZweiBlau.dll

I cannot manage to make the onboard intel HD 4600 run with 3D acceleration on. Got to dig in remoteFX deeper.

Then, I am gonna look at hyper-v VM instead, to prepare it on my side then push it to prod.

Edited by galevsky06

I cannot manage to make the onboard intel HD 4600 run with 3D acceleration on. Got to dig in remoteFX deeper.

Then, I am gonna look at hyper-v VM instead, to prepare it on my side then push it to prod.

Have alredy been tried but if you have any ideas on how to get around the GPU please post.

Is it just me or it looks like the display drivers from Intel for the 4670 are not installed?

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Please note: I took these pics throughout RDP connection, and I read that RDP uses a software display driver 'RDPDD Chained DD' that brings no 3D support. I also run an update on drivers, nothing found, so is it a issue with RDP only (fix would be remoteFX ? ) ? Is there a driver missing ? I tried to connect with ultra-vnc, same issue.....

That's strange. I'm running DCS on virtual machine, with no 3d-acceleration, using VNC for connection. Are you really sure you disabled 3d-rendering?

Interesting, what OS do you run on the host? And what Vitrual tool? VMWare? I guess you are running Win7 64 bit as the virtual client?

Interesting, what OS do you run on the host? And what Vitrual tool? VMWare? I guess you are running Win7 64 bit as the virtual client?

My host is VMware vSphere ESXi (but VMware Workstation is reported to work too), and VM is Win7/6bit with 2 vCPU and 8GB vRAM. Not much difference compared to native HW. BTW this topic (DCS & virtual server) was discussed extensively here (but the thread is closed now):

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116021&highlight=esxi&page=3

• Like 1

That's strange. I'm running DCS on virtual machine, with no 3d-acceleration, using VNC for connection. Are you really sure you disabled 3d-rendering?

(My bold)

Galevsky - are you using a version of VNC to try to launch DCS? It just won't work using RDP as far as I know.

Virtual Aero runs fine by rdp

Pman

That's interesting - did you need to alter some setting somewhere or did it work without fiddling? I just couldn't make it play that way - although I'm no expert :).

It was almost at the point where I was going to give up, and then tried "one more thing" in TightVNC, and hey presto DCS started no bother.

That's interesting - did you need to alter some setting somewhere or did it work without fiddling? I just couldn't make it play that way - although I'm no expert :).

It was almost at the point where I was going to give up, and then tried "one more thing" in TightVNC, and hey presto DCS started no bother.

Just ran on its own no problem, although for the automated scripting I scripted Windows so that when rdp disconnects it doesn't log the user out

Pman

Edited by Pman

My host is VMware vSphere ESXi (but VMware Workstation is reported to work too), and VM is Win7/6bit with 2 vCPU and 8GB vRAM. Not much difference compared to native HW. BTW this topic (DCS & virtual server) was discussed extensively here (but the thread is closed now):

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116021&highlight=esxi&page=3

Wow, I missed that thread completely! This opens up the possibility to host virtual servers for DCS on some fat lines! Great info :thumbup:

Wierd - I didn't even get that far, I was having the same problem as the op. There were some settings in the "RDP-tcp" dialogue that looked promising, but never worked for me.

I (incorrectly it would seem) assumed that 3D stuff wouldn't work over an RDP connection full stop. The OS is Win 2k8. Interesting to see the differences in setups!:D

Cant be done without a DX compatible card.

If your running this on a headless VPS box then it wont work, no way around it using a virtual GPU

Pman

What do you call 'virtual' ? Is the intel HD 4600 into the Core i5 virtual ?

It is not a VPS, but a true headless dedicated machine.

I read that RDP can use 3D acceleration if remoteFX is enabled. Do you use remoteFX to get the right display driver loaded through RDP ?

Thank you,

Edited by galevsky06

Cant be done without a DX compatible card.

If your running this on a headless VPS box then it wont work, no way around it using a virtual GPU

Pman

Of course it *IS* possible! Read what I wrote. My VM has just emulated vSVA card (no 3d-support at all) and DCS is running...

BTW, even vGPU can be DX-compatible, and support 3d-acceleration. Some time ago I did some tests with VMware Workstation: I could run some 3d-games in VM (i.e. LockOn!), I could even run 3dmark. VirtualBox also has some 3d-support, though not so good as VMware. But as I wrote: it is not necessary. I'm runing DCS without 3d-gfx...

Of course it *IS* possible! Read what I wrote. My VM has just emulated vSVA card (no 3d-support at all) and DCS is running...

BTW, even vGPU can be DX-compatible, and support 3d-acceleration. Some time ago I did some tests with VMware Workstation: I could run some 3d-games in VM (i.e. LockOn!), I could even run 3dmark. VirtualBox also has some 3d-support, though not so good as VMware. But as I wrote: it is not necessary. I'm runing DCS without 3d-gfx...

I never managed it with a vgpu reliably, if you have then good for you :)

But that's not my experience

Pman